Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Maybe the pumpkin should have asked his cyber expert kid...

US election 2016: How to review 650,000 emails in eight days

To the outrage of Donald Trump and his supporters, the FBI says it has found no evidence of criminality in a newly-discovered trove of emails linked to Hillary Clinton.

With election day in touching distance, late last month FBI director James Comey said the bureau was investigating new emails potentially connected to its investigation into Mrs Clinton's private email server.

He has since faced a backlash from leading Democrats, with President Obama saying investigations should not operate on "innuendo" and the party's leader in the US Senate, Harry Reid, even suggesting Mr Comey may have broken the law.

There was little sign that US voters would see a conclusion before the final vote.

But now, in another letter, Mr Comey has effectively concluded they have found nothing new. And Mr Trump has made his displeasure clear.

"You can't review 650,000 emails in eight days," Mr Trump told a rally in Michigan.

"Hillary Clinton is guilty, she knows it, the FBI knows it, the people know it and now it's up to the American people to deliver justice at the ballot box on 8 November."

Several computing experts, though, say otherwise.

"That's taking a rather naive view of it," the University of Surrey's Adam Woodward said of Mr Trump's claim. "The investigators don't go through each email manually."

The emails themselves were found on a device belonging to Anthony Weiner, the estranged husband of Clinton aide Huma Abedin. Mr Weiner, a former congressman, is subject to a separate FBI investigation.

Details about the fresh FBI inquiry remain scant. Several reports say that the emails discovered were simply duplicates of ones already examined.

In the latest letter, Mr Comey said investigators had "reviewed all of the comm

unications that were to or from Hillary Clinton while she was Secretary of State", leaving open the possibility they were still looking into some of the emails.

For Steven Murdoch, a research fellow at the University of London, the key word is "review".

"It doesn't mean they have been read," he said, adding that privacy considerations and the sheer volume of data would have been prohibitive.

Despite the seemingly intimidating size of the email cache, there are several ways they could have been narrowed down, experts say, such as using the to and from field to determine which messages came from Mrs Clinton, filtering out duplicate emails, or using search parameters.

Dr Murdoch compared the process to how officials might root through vast amounts of court documents.

Using these techniques, it is unlikely there would have been many emails investigators would have to read with their own eyes.

"Very quickly you would find that the haystack becomes the needle," said Dr Woodward.

Fugitive US intelligence leaker Edward Snowden offered a few more tips to the authorities on how they might go about their search.

Mr Snowden suggested they may have used hashing, which would involve coding the two sets of emails into a shorter expression of that data for quick comparison - something the authorities presumably had a head start on given the months of investigation into Mrs Clinton's email use.

Speaking anonymously, one former FBI expert told Wired he had processed much larger sets faster.

"We'd routinely collect terabytes of data in a search," he said. "I'd know what was important before I left the guy's house."

For the Errata Security blog, "the question isn't whether the FBI could review all those emails in eight days, but why the FBI couldn't have reviewed them all in one or two days. Or even why they couldn't have reviewed them before Comey made that horrendous announcement that they were reviewing the emails."

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
      slave FORD claimed to have voted for a Jew.

I don't believe him for a seccy.
      Not true. I voted for TWO Jews this year. L'chaim!
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Look, I voted for Hillary, and even I still want to have a better understanding of what was in the emails (I can't discount entirely the notion that WikiLeaks may have tampered with/altered some of the content before releasing them), how they were deleted, who deleted them and so on.

I also would like to have a full disclosure of who donated how much to the Clinton Foundation and when, and how much of that ended up in the Clintons pockets or was used by the Clintons for personal expenditures and have that information provided by a credible, non-partisan source.

And I'd like to have a better understanding of Comey's investigation, and how it led him to make the conclusions he did early this summer, and what his mindset was about the timing of the notification to Congress on October 28th as well as his second conclusion Sunday, and if any of that was politicized on the part of Comey.

I really haven't looked hard at any of the data that is out there, and I'm not comfortable making conclusions based on conjecture, innuendo, inference and supposition ('there's so much smoke that there HAS to be something there' without being able to factually determine what that 'something' is with a degree of exactitude).

I think what should happen is Hillary shouldn't bring Huma Abedin into the White House with her. Abedin is damaged goods, and the idea of her playing some type of Valerie Jarrett role is fantasy. The same goes for Podesta and the rest of Clinton's longtime staffers. Bill Clinton should stop making paid speeches. The Clinton Foundation should be turned over to people outside of the Clinton family and their longstanding surrogates to run, and the books on the foundation should be transparent.

Do all of those things, and maybe Hillary can get a 2nd term as long as the economy plods along at 1-2% growth and there aren't any terrorist attacks on American soil. Short of all that, I won't be surprised if Hillary ends up being a 1-termer. Particularly if the GOP retains control of the House and spends the next 4 years launching one investigation of Hillary after another and it's 1994-1998 redux. My feeling is that if the GOP can fuse the party back together and finally learn (and actually implement) the lessons of 2012 and this year, they'll have a shot in 2020. Short of nominating Satan (which also wouldn't be surprise, considering the downward trajectory of candidate quality they've brought to the table since 1992). Hell, they could run Romney again in 2020 and he could stand an even chance. I actually think Romney could have won THIS year. He had a much better chance than Trump ever did.

The Clintons won't do any of that, though. They are who they are and do the things they do because they think it's their right to. That fruity baby boomer overblown sense of entitlement. And maybe - MAYBE - it would be excusable if Hillary had some big Moon Shot goals on a transformative scale. But she doesn't.
        Last edited by Terry; 11-07-2016, 08:09 PM.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• cadaverdog
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Terry
          The Clintons won't do any of that, though. They are who they are and do the things they do because they think it's their right to. That fruity baby boomer overblown sense of entitlement.
          They're greedy bastards who will throw anyone under the bus to advance their agenda which is to line their pockets with as much money as they can before they lose their political clout. If she loses the election it's over for them. Both parties and The BCE will drop the Clintons faster than Mike Tyson used to drop opponents in his heyday.
          Beware of Dog

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Terry
            I also would like to have a full disclosure of who donated how much to the Clinton Foundation and when, and how much of that ended up in the Clintons pockets or was used by the Clintons for personal expenditures and have that information provided by a credible, non-partisan source.
            I think that is out there already. It looks to me that the Clinton Foundation is actually pretty clean and the only contention is whether she should have been doing anything at all for it while in high office. They should definitely keep it at arms length when in office.

The Red Cross was ranked as an "A-" to the Clinton Foundation's "A" by CharityWatch, but the larger Charity Navigator didn't rate the latter organization until recently.

Comment

• cadaverdog
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Seshmeister
              It looks to me that the Clinton Foundation is actually pretty clean and the only contention is whether she should have been doing anything at all for it while in high office.
              Granting face time with the Secretary Of State in exchange for donations to the Clinton Foundation is influence peddling. Nothing clean about it.
              Beware of Dog

Comment

Working...