Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cadaverdog
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Aug 2007

I lived just a couple miles from the largest wind farm in the US for close to 30 years. My dad owned a small parcel of land within the Oak Creek wind farm area that was mainly unusable. When he decided to sell it he found out there was a wind generator on it already. He could have stuck it to them but settled for a lot less than he should have. He was afraid the state would just nullify his deed and let the wind farm have the property for free. He was probably right.
    Beware of Dog

Comment

• cadaverdog
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by twonabomber
      I saw some diagram that showed a crane in the enclosure at the top. This was a few years ago.

Or does the back open and there's a hoist to raise and lower parts? Maybe that's what I saw.
      Most modern wind generators have a small crane inside them that can be used to not only lift and lower parts but can be used to lift another crane up that can be used to lower the generator to the ground if the land around the generator isn't easy to access with a truck mounted crane.
      Beware of Dog

Comment

• Von Halen
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by qikgts
        I know this wasn't directed at me but I felt compelled to respond. From what I've seen, windmill blades can be and are cleaned via helicopter. In many instances it takes a crew of 6 about 2 hours per turbine. These are the same helicopters and pilots that fly out to clean high tension power line isolators and bring linemen to the wire to service them hundreds of feet in the air.

There are also crews that do it the "old fashioned way" via ropes and platforms. They climb up the ladders that are inside of them the way workers climb cell towers and municipal water tanks. Is it dangerous? Yeah, so is washing windows on skyscrapers in Manhattan but the job gets done. People do this stuff every day.

Sure, it sucks that maintaining them costs something but I gotta believe it's far from the most expensive part of ownership and one that I can't see being prohibitive.
        I appreciate your response.

So, we are building windmill farms to help make electricity so we can work towards everything being battery powered, but we're cleaning the windmills with helicopters? Battery powered helicopters?

Thank you for helping my point in all this fucking ignorant alternative power BULLSHIT morons like FORD, NickDick and Sesh have fallen for, hook line and sinker.

Comment

• twonabomber
          formerly F A T
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Solar farms proposed for landfills

Why not burn the methane gas a landfill creates instead?

Originally posted by cadaverdog
          Most modern wind generators have a small crane inside them that can be used to not only lift and lower parts but can be used to lift another crane up that can be used to lower the generator to the ground if the land around the generator isn't easy to access with a truck mounted crane.
          Probably what I saw.
          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• vandeleur
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Von Halen
            I appreciate your response.

So, we are building windmill farms to help make electricity so we can work towards everything being battery powered, but we're cleaning the windmills with helicopters? Battery powered helicopters?

Thank you for helping my point in all this fucking ignorant alternative power BULLSHIT morons like FORD, NickDick and Sesh have fallen for, hook line and sinker.
            And those mutherfukkas probably have battery hook lines ... and sinkers. Go redknecks
            fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• qikgts
              Head Fluffer
              • Jan 2012

Battery powered helicopters?
              You type that rhetorically, like you think those don't exist now...

You don't think that in the lifetime of a turbine (which run for about 20-25 years before the big overhaul becomes necessary, similar to amount of time before turbines in power plants need the same rebuild) that it's sensible to clean them once a year or so for now with a avgas helicopter? You think that same helicopter in the next 15 years won't be running a blended fuel of some kind or even maybe be battery powered 5 years after that?

What is it that you have an issue with here? The fact that fossil fuel and petro products are part of making power from renewable energy? They always will be to some extent.
              You're gonna hear the angels sing...

Comment

• Von Halen
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by qikgts

What is it that you have an issue with here? The fact that fossil fuel and petro products are part of making power from renewable energy? They always will be to some extent.
                My issue is with the idiots that think they can eliminate the need for fossil fuel and petro products. That think battery powered everything is the be all end all answer to "green" and "global warming/climate change" and all that shit. The people that stand to make the most money from this stuff, put out all these buzz words, and dumbasses like NickDick, FORD and Sesh take the bait and run. This Country and probably others, are on the fucking ragged edge of what our power grid can handle, without adding charging stations for all this extra battery powered bullshit. Their answer is to supplement the current system with bullshit systems like the windmills. There are inherent issues with the windmills, immediately and in the future. But those dumb fucks are so wrapped up in their buzz words, they refuse to recognize any present or future issues associated with not only the windmills, but batteries and their disposal and impact on the environment. The fucking rusting, molding carcasses they are and will become, will be every bit as much of an environmental nightmare as anything we're doing now. But hey, reality isn't really a part of those three stooges agenda.

Comment

• cadaverdog
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Aug 2007

Originally posted by vandeleur
                  And those mutherfukkas probably have battery hook lines ... and sinkers. Go redknecks
                  You done drank yourself retarded.
                  Beware of Dog

Comment

• cadaverdog
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Aug 2007

My issue is with the idiots that think they can eliminate the need for fossil fuel and petro products. That think battery powered everything is the be all end all answer to "green" and "global warming/climate change" and all that shit. The people that stand to make the most money from this stuff, put out all these buzz words, and dumbasses like NickDick, FORD and Sesh take the bait and run. This Country and probably others, are on the fucking ragged edge of what our power grid can handle, without adding charging stations for all this extra battery powered bullshit. Their answer is to supplement the current system with bullshit systems like the windmills. There are inherent issues with the windmills, immediately and in the future. But those dumb fucks are so wrapped up in their buzz words, they refuse to recognize any present or future issues associated with not only the windmills, but batteries and their disposal and impact on the environment. The fucking rusting, molding carcasses they are and will become, will be every bit as much of an environmental nightmare as anything we're doing now. But hey, reality isn't really a part of those three stooges agenda.
                    Obviously we have a long way to go before we can think about completely eliminating vehicles that run on petroleum based products but it doesn't hurt to keep working on alternative, hopefully renewable energy sources.
                    As far as wind power goes their dependability on where you put the generators. If you put them in arid areas like the Mojave Desert they last a long time with limited maintenance. If you put them in humid areas you're going to have way more issues with mold, rust and corrosion.
                    Beware of Dog

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

And even the "petroleum based" vehicles could run on fuels made from a sustainable resource, like Hemp. The sand pits of real oil are almost gone, and the environmental costs of fracking the shale beds and tar sands for that dirty goo, in order to convert it to "oil" are far too high of a risk for such a pitifully small "reward".
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• vandeleur
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by cadaverdog
                        You done drank yourself retarded.
                        It's all about the practice bud

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

My issue is with the idiots that think they can eliminate the need for fossil fuel and petro products. That think battery powered everything is the be all end all answer to "green" and "global warming/climate change" and all that shit....

I never said this...My only point is the same as your favorite album: "Balance!" Using less fossil fuels and diversifying with renewable energy and "green" technologies......
                          Last edited by Nickdfresh; 12-30-2016, 09:20 PM.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by vandeleur
                            It's all about the practice bud
                            What? No Dry January?

Comment

• vandeleur
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                              What? No Dry January?

Comment

• DONNIEP
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                                And even the "petroleum based" vehicles could run on fuels made from a sustainable resource, like Hemp. The sand pits of real oil are almost gone, and the environmental costs of fracking the shale beds and tar sands for that dirty goo, in order to convert it to "oil" are far too high of a risk for such a pitifully small "reward".
                                Hemp: The magic weed that can solve every problem on earth yet nobody in any country has ever found a way to make money off it aside from selling Hippie necklaces. How come Holland isn't the hemp/alternative fuel capitol of the planet? Why isn't Jamaica cranking out a couple million barrels of hemp oil a day? Supposedly it's more efficient than petroleum so why hasn't some entrepreneur somewhere outside the US (cause I know you're gonna throw that up) built a giant hemp farm and refined the living shit out of it and made a viable fuel that we can all shove in our cars? Wait - I know the answer. Big oil and the BCE kill off every guy or gal who figured out how to do it. Bull Shit. The truth is hemp ain't worth a damn compared to oil. Big Oil companies don't give a damn what you burn in your car, so long as they sell it to you. Gas, diesel, hemp, stupidity - they don't care so long as they get paid and hemp ain't paying the bills. Theoretical mumbo jumbo is fine for the interwebz but if hemp was the savior Hippies make it out to be then we'd all be filling up with it.
                                American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

Working...