Hidden Agenda: A National Draft in the Future?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Warham
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Mar 2004

I think this can be put under the 'Libs unsuccessful attempts to confuse voters' file.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ODShowtime
      considering how important this is you guys are pretty light-hearted about it. There's talk of extending the age to 34 (yikes!!!!)
      Start jogging. Your ass better be in shape.
      “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• diamondD
        Veteran
        • Jan 2004

Thanks for further proof that Dean is a deranged idiot Dave's dick.
        Meet us in the future, not the pasture

Comment

• scorpioboy33
          Commando
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by freak
          This is just the latest line of bullshit the left is peddling.

Because of Vietnam, you will likely never see another draft in this country.

The socio-political risks are just too high.
          can you say freudian slip :
          Bush said, "We will not have an all-volunteer army" before correcting himself. "Let me restate that," he continued. "We will not have a draft ... . The best way to avoid a draft is to vote for me

Comment

• McCarrens
            Foot Soldier
            • May 2004

Originally posted by Sgt Schultz
            Yup, the Dems are the ones who want the draft so they can exploit the whiners within and trumpet any draftee who may be killed in action in a "Bush War".
            Amen, amen. Preach Schultz, preach...
            "The security around the hotel was ridiculous. This chick was pounding and screaming at my door until four or five in the morning....finally I said fuck it, and let her out of the room"

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Howard Dean, as usual, is right on.

You really think Junior and the neocons would admit to a draft right before an election that he already has no legitimate chance of winning??
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Satan
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Jan 2004

Dr Dean says...

Hey Junior - exit stage right, and don't let the door hit you in the ass!!
                Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
                I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• Warham
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

Can somebody post that clip where Dean goes insane?

YEEAAARRRGHHHHH!!!!

Comment

• McCarrens
                    Foot Soldier
                    • May 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                    Howard Dean, as usual, is right on.

You really think Junior and the neocons would admit to a draft right before an election that he already has no legitimate chance of winning??
                    How does Bush not have a legitimate chance of winning the election?

Again, I'm confused by your logic (or, lack there of).
                    "The security around the hotel was ridiculous. This chick was pounding and screaming at my door until four or five in the morning....finally I said fuck it, and let her out of the room"

Comment

• tobinentinc
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Apr 2004

Our military is no longer a draft military. Unless it came to an absolute must, we will never see a draft again. We have too much technology and resources for a draft. A few highly trained motivated soldiers who want to be there will be more successful than a couple thousand who don't. If ever a draft is signed and I would have to go, I will fight for my country. The democrats are trying thier hardest to turn Iraq into Vietnam.
                      http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip...hics/sines.gif http://images.google.com/images?q=tb...m/kissarmy.jpg http://images.google.com/images?q=tb...ve/vhlogo1.gif

Comment

• jcook11
                        Commando
                        • Sep 2004

First of all CONGRESS are the only ones who can impose the draft not the president.Second during WW two there was a clear and present enemy. The war on terrorism has an enemy who is much more vague

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by McCarrens
                          How does Bush not have a legitimate chance of winning the election?

Again, I'm confused by your logic (or, lack there of).
                          Bush lost the last election by about 539,000 votes,approximately. Since then, he has pissed off voters in just about every traditional "Republican" demographic.

The fiscal conservatives, the "small government" types, the Libertarian leaners who usually go with the GOP because a major party has better chances. Junior lost votes with these guys through his reckless spending (most of which went to Halliburton and tax cuts for the rich) and expansion of government.

Military votes, he's going to lose for obvious reasons. I can think of 1,100 families he's definitely lost.

And paradoxically, even some of the religious reich types might turn against him, blaming him for the Supreme Court "legalizing sodomy".

Now keep in mind that ALL of these groups don't have to defect. For a guy who is already starting with a deficit of a half million votes, every single voter who defects from a core GOP demographic is a nail in Junior's coffin.

With the possible exceptions of Zell Miller and Ed Koch, nobody who voted for Gore in 2000 is going to defect to team BCE. And those two buffoons probably voted for Junior then.

Add in Nader voters - a "conservative" estimate says that half of Ralphie's votes in 2000 will be going to Kerry this time. I'd actually guess closer to 8 out of 10. Safe to say none of them will be voting for Junior.

"New" voter registrations- Either these are 18-22 year olds who are first time voters, or previous voters who sat out the last election (maybe more).

The first group obviously is concerned with the possibility of a draft, and Junior saying their won't be one isn't enough assurance. After all, this is the guy who said Iraq posessed enough weapons of mass destruction to be an imminent threat to the United States. And we all know how that turned out.

The second group wasn't motivated enough to get off their asses and vote last time, but this time they see things differently. If they thought Junior was doing a good job, then why bother?

Obviously that's NOT where these folks are coming from. It's far more likely that they registered becaused they see exactly what their inaction brought them the last time, when approximately 19% of eligible voters made it possible for that Idiot to be appointed to the White House.

Finally there's the "undecided" voters. Now, how anyone could STILL be undecided at this point is a complete mystery to me, but by the very definition of the word, "undecided" means that you have doubts about the abilities of the incumbent to do his or her job. And anyone who had those feelings about Bush before the debates certainly isn't going to feel better about him after watching those three consecutive BCE trainwrecks.

Statistically, in the end, undecided votes favor the challenger.

There you have it.... no possibilities of a legitimate win for Team BCE at all.
                          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• bueno bob
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jul 2004

Without taking any political side, I'm going to agree with the point that the draft will never be reinstituted. I don't see any administration or congress doing that, not after the whole Vietnam fallout. I could be wrong, but if it ever came around again, I'd be damned surprised.

That being said, I never served in any of the branches of military, and being 30 am too old to seriously consider doing so (what with three kids, being head of the household and all).

However, if by some chance it did happen and I got drafted, I'd go and do whatever they told me to do. As a human being, I don't think I have any call to go anywhere or do anything that I don't want to do, but as an American citizen, I also feel that I should do my duty to my country if it calls on me to do it, regardless of the situation or my personal feelings on the subject. If it means dying in some foreign land where I can't speak the native dialect, so be it.

Moreover, I'd be right out in the streets shoulder to shoulder with Cathedral should the need arise, and would be proud to stand next to (and potentially die with) somebody of his character in defense of this country.

Although I'd be EXTREMELY surprised if some other country ever attempted a direct landbound invasion! China might concern me, since they outnumber us 200 to 1 anyway but defeating that, I don't think there's any other country in the world that would have the resources, let alone the balls.
                            Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

Working...