X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • knuckleboner
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by John Ashcroft
    and that leaves the "devil's advocate" angle as the only possible route you're taking.

i'm definitely not a fan of bush. but i'm not really a fan of kerry either. he has yet to inspire me. and yes, i think he's generally an opportunist.

i've been against the war from the getgo. but i realize that once in, we just can't pack up and leave. i DO agree with getting more international peacekeepers there. but that still doesn't leave us with a complete exit strategy.

to me, it's not that kerry wants us to lose in iraq that's uninspiring. it's his overall lack of vision. he DOES want us to win in iraq, ultimately, i think. he just hasn't been consistent on how or what we should be doing (or not doing) there.

as for mccain...yeah, i think he definitely likes the spotlight. still, though...if he was really going for #1, the question is, does he go for VP in 2004? he'd have had kerry's VP in a heartbeat. and that makes a likely 2012 run, if he's still around.

but, then again, maybe he'd rather have the shot in 2008. who knows?

ultimately, though, i don't think kerry wants us to lose in iraq. just like i don't think reagan wanted the economy to tank in 1980.

Comment

• John Ashcroft
      Veteran
      • Jan 2004

I'm not so sure. I mean, he's doing exactly what he did following Vietnam.

Even his staff have gone on the record saying "It took 10 years to turn public opinion against Vietnam, John Kerry has just 50 days to turn it against Iraq"...

Now, does that sound like he's got the country's interest in mind or his own?

Comment

• knuckleboner
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Jan 2004

depends...

if he really thinks that being in iraq is wrong and the longer we're there, we're just getting more of our soldiers killed...then maybe getting out ASAP is in our best interests.

personally, though, i agree, turning opinion against current iraqi operations isn't as productive.

in the campaign, you DO need to go against the decision to go to war. (at least, i would. after all, i've been consistent with that since well before march 2003 )

and, you CAN go against how we're currently operating there. but unless you feel that immediate and complete pullout is the right answer, it doesn't do much good to turn the tide against currently being in iraq, in general.

and obviously, i'm not in favor of a complete, immediate pullout.

and i don't think kerry is, either. so, i await to see if he's trying to turn opinion against the decision to go to war, or against the current prosecution of it.

Comment

• Warham
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Mar 2004

I like how Kerry, the waffler, is saying that the Iraqi Prime Minister is waffling on his own comments. How dare Lurch accuse him of doing that!!

Comment

• ODShowtime
            ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

I think Bush is gambling a lot of political capital pimping Iyad around to Congress and the UN and shit. What if he turns out to be a butcher? What if he gets wasted next week? It woulnd't be the first time Bush has not exercise sufficient forethought.
            gnaw on it

Comment

• Sgt Schultz
              Commando
              • Mar 2004

Bush has come to MY hometown today and made the point that I was making - that Kerry, who is talking endlessly about how he'll win over our allies, totally snubbed and badmouthed Allawi - and this, in my opinion is the nail in the coffin of his candidacy. I mean, it's just plain STUPID on his part.

Comment

• ODShowtime
                ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

You make a good point. Kerry must have a completely different plan. What is it though?

Also, when you say snubbed, was Kerry even in the area, is it even possible for him to go and acknowledge allawi?
                gnaw on it

Comment

• ODShowtime
                  ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

further analysis: GW is kinda trapped here. He's allowing the rebellion strongholds to grow in power because he has to forestall the violence until after re-election. So Kerry argueing that Bush has let it happen is funny.
                  gnaw on it

Comment

Working...