• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kentuckyklira
    Veteran
    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by jacksmar
    [B
    I had to re-tube the amp and it didn't sound the same after that. I got another one and after time, another re-tube and the amp tone went away. I guess the load just didn't match properly. [/B]
    You have to rebias the amps after re-tubeing. A tech can do it for you in a quarter of an hour!

Believe me, treat your Marshall right and it´s a friend for life. Three of mine are from 1971, nuff said??
    http://images.zeit.de/gesellschaft/z...ie-540x304.jpg

Comment

• jacksmar
      Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

I've had all this electronics training and didn’t consider the bias because I was buying matched pairs of output tubes. Maybe in passing that might have been the problem. The Q value of the matched tubes should have allowed the same bias current to the output transformer. I didn't place any mods on the Marshall's because when I found one that sounded the way I wanted it to, I was set. There’s only been one guitar shop that I used to trust the bias setup to and that was The Guitar Emporium in Louisville, KY. It turns out that my bass player at the time had a kid that worked in his dad's electronics shop that was better than the guitar shop. I found this out when a JCM 900 4500 head went south. Even after the repair the tone wasn't the same. The head was much better for lead, but lost some of the presence for rhythm.

Carvin still has a shop in West Hollywood as it turns out. I plan to spend a good deal of time there. I need some new shirts so I can get them at Déjà Vu.

I've borrowed the Vai amp for so many things I have to get my own. The JSX amp sounds good too. I just haven't gotten used to it yet.

Don't get me wrong, I still want to use a Marshall for rhythm and recording. The tone can't be duplicated. I want the lead to sound as smoothe as Vai and as hectic as Eddie. The Carvin Vai head has that advantage over Marshall on the lead. Even as I say this, my guess is I'll still have my JCM 2000 for lead backup. Some things never change.

Last edited by jacksmar; 01-13-2005, 12:20 PM.
      A NATION OF COWARDS - Jeffrey R. Snyder

Comment

• GAR
        Banned
        • Jan 2004

huhuhhhuhhh...

If you are coming from so far away you should PM me in Feb when you come out.

Bring your guitar and I'll put a little secret-something under your pickguard I guarantee nobody else has out.

Comment

• GAR
          Banned
          • Jan 2004

(I'm just not going to talk him out of the deal he's so set on making..)

We can preach Marshall all we want in here, but if he likes what he hears locally and it brings about more of the desire to play because he is happy with his sound, that is the amp he should have.

Personal philosophy only.. your mileage may vary.

Comment

• Denny
            Banned
            • Oct 2004

Originally posted by kentuckyklira
            You have to rebias the amps after re-tubeing. A tech can do it for you in a quarter of an hour!

Believe me, treat your Marshall right and it´s a friend for life. Three of mine are from 1971, nuff said??
            Those Old Marshall and also Fender Amp's sound fucking BEAUTIFUL.

I have 2 Channel 50 Watt Soldano. It just ROCKS, man.

IMO, The Marshall SLP's from '66 to '75.

The Marshall 50 watt JMP 1,2,3 heads from the Early 70's.

The Fender Twin Reverb Deluxe('60's)

and the American made Soldano's are the best fucking Amps money can buy.

Comment

• BrownSound1
              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
              • Mar 2003

I have yet to see an amp that didn't need biasing after putting tubes in, matched pairs or not. I don't care for these amps that have a fixed bias either, because tubes sets are as individual as people are...it is just the nature of the beast.

Comment

• Denny
                Banned
                • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Brownsound1
                I have yet to see an amp that didn't need biasing after putting tubes in, matched pairs or not. I don't care for these amps that have a fixed bias either, because tubes sets are as individual as people are...it is just the nature of the beast.
                Soldano's don't have a FIXED bias but they don't need re-biased after you re-valve them.

Comment

• GAR
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2004

You do if you fry 'em with a Variac.

Comment

• spanishfly48
                    Full On Cocktard
                    • May 2004

couldn't you just bye one of the vintage series 1959SLP as thats what eddie used??? they sell it now on their site...
                    Confuscius Say: man who go through airport door sideways goin to Bangkok

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." President George W. Bush

Your about as useful as a Poopy flavored Lolly pop

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

I have one of the reissues and two vintage Super Leads, a '69 and a '73...

They all sound totally different, but the reissue sounds nothing like the vintage amps...

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

Comment

• guitarboy5150
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Dec 2004

taken from eddievanhalen.com

Hey Andre, thought I would give you a heads up, and put the RUMOR to rest that Van Halen and Marshall are designing a new amp. This is straight from Jim Marshall's mouth.. " laughs " No Eddie and I have nothing in the works, I havent even spoken with him in years " " I've seen some of the hype that's out there, they even had prices mentioned " " if you want that style of amp, take a look at that one right there " He pointed to a 1959 SLP reissue. He didnt sound like a political recording machine, he was very plesant and friendly. Plus there was about 10 people at the Marshall exhibt at the time, so he wasnt swamped. Andre I did'nt know where to post this info, so I thought I'd let you make the desision.

Dave

Comment

• Denny
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                            I have one of the reissues and two vintage Super Leads, a '69 and a '73...

They all sound totally different, but the reissue sounds nothing like the vintage amps...
                            That's not FUCKING important, dude.

You have a Bible!

Comment

• Panamark
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

Ive been looking at the reissue plexis.

Seems a lot of people reckon they dont sound the same as the
                              originals... Marshall recently released a hand-wired series to try
                              and grab some of the potential buyers who are seeking these
                              older heads...

I would be interested in hearing this EVH/Marshall effort, if true..
                              BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                              Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

Working...