Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

The Antique Roadshow has made people nuts over the issue of refinishing old things. People think they are going to destroy the value. On some items yes but on most old things, not really. My sister in-law has a beautiful antique piano but won't have it refinished. The original finish has darkened, cracked, there's some water damage from houseplants that were put on top of it and it looks like a piece of shit. She loves the thing and has the money to have it restored. She's scared she's going to ruin the value. Not so. I checked and keeping the old finish on a 19th century piano of it's make has no advantage. It depends on the item of furniture.

A worn and dirty Marshall cab is worth some money if it was owned by Jimi Hendrix and had Jimi Hendrix Experience stenciled on the the side of it. You don't want to touch that bugger! But on a non-historical cab, you have nothing to lose.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Hardrock69
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Feb 2005

Well, firstly yes it has gold piping just outside the skid trays. Definitely mid-70s.
      The date on the signature by Jim Marshall is 1981. Perhaps whomever owned it brought it back to the factory to have some work done on it (say...replacing a speaker?).

Then. let us suppose whoever owned it decided to eventually move to Gnashville. And either they, or someone else put it up for sale at the music store. For all I know this cabinet could have been owned by someone famous.

Oh well.

One serious question......they say that the best way to date Marshall cabinets is by the serial numbers of the speakers.

What about the serial number ON THE BACK OF MY CABINET??????

There is a little tag just below the SINGLE MONO input jack at the bottom of the cabinet. It says MADE IN ENGLAND ( a dead giveaway that it is a REAL Marshall cabinet LMAO!) and below that it says:

Serial No. A 09105

As for the recovering, re-grilling the cloth (LOL), I really appreciate the offer, Cathedral, but the only thing I am planning on doing is replacing the grille cloth. I can do it as well as could be expected, but of course any tips from you and Gar would be much appreciated.
      And it is missing 4 out of the 8 plastic corners. Pretty much all the plastic is fairly beat up, and they all have some chipping or whatever.

Where you at, Cathedral? Ronald McDonald is in Cali somewheres...

As for the speakers, this cabinet is perfect.
      Why?

I have a Crate 1 X 12 65-watt combo amp I bought in 1986 for $150. It sounds weak live (transistor amp with open-back cabinet), but as a recording amp it sounds great. And it has a no-name stock speaker in it.
      So guess what I am going to do?

Take the 65-watt celestion out of the cabinet, put it in the Crate (WOOHOO!!!) and then find a 25-watt black back Celestion to put in the cab...preferably an original one from the mid-70s.

Shit man, finding a JHE Marshall cabinet would make me come on the spot....but then, it would have to be someplace where the owners did not know anything about rock music or amps, as any serious Marshall fan I know would recognize it right off the bat and a) never sell it, or b) take it to Sotheby's and auction it off for $50,000 or whatever.

Sorry about the blurry pictures. The only digital camera I have is a shitty one I got for free when signing up with Earthlink about 4 years ago...

I would love to own a nice one (they can be found really cheap on eBay), but right now I have some family issues that have come up that require I save my money for the next 6 months or so...hell it means I even haveta cut down drastically on my purchases of Uncle Reefer's Medicinal Herbal Remedy haha.

When I get around to doing some work on this thang, I will post some new and improved photos.

Oh, and Panamark, it sounds fucking cool. MAJOR difference between it and my Carvin cabinet. It just sounds SWEET and WARM compared to the Carvin. This has givven me a major opportunity to see how much of the Marshall sound is due to the cabinet, and I would venture to say it is a significant part of the sound.

ROTH ON, peeps!

Last edited by Hardrock69; 03-20-2005, 05:09 PM.

Comment

• Coyote
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
        Here is the full rig with my Flying V......
        Nice setup! So how was it playing with Stryper?
        Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
        It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• jackassrock
          Head Fluffer
          • Sep 2004

"We are Soldiers, under God's command !!!!!!"

Ha, I remember those guys.
          funny stuff.
          It's a shame that families should be torn apart by something as simple as....wild dogs

Comment

• Hardrock69
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Feb 2005

**barf**

Katydid (cursed be her name) might want to suck their little baby pee-pees...

I started striping my pickguards in 1978, back when those guys were still learning how to tune a guitar...
            That first Flying V (a 1975 Gibson) with a striped pickguard was sold to Charlie Wirz of Charlie's Guitars in Dallas in May of 1983 (it was either sell it or starve). For all I know it is floating around Dallas still

Oh, and Panamark, it is a 1979 Mark II 100-watt JMP Master Lead.

The actual inspection sticker date is something like 12/19/79

Last edited by Hardrock69; 03-20-2005, 08:16 PM.

Comment

• GAR
              Banned
              • Jan 2004

Im not doing any repairs or resto work till my barn is built after this weather we're having.

I lost 70 grand of gear and all I have left is a few basic amps and like 3 customers' guitar and amp stuff waiting in storage. I'll probably post a regrill how-to by this summer.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Feb 2005

Right on dude!! I will look forward to it. I am not in any real hurry, so whenever you get around to it...

You LOST 70 grand in gear? :eek:

Pray tell how in the fuck did THAT happen?

Acts of God? Thievery?

Comment

Working...