Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big Fat Sammy
    Veteran
    • Feb 2005

Here's new the updated, stripped down, custom pedalboard.

I cut it in half, raised the switch, velcroed everything down (exept the strip) and painted the EVH design to fuck with the gearheads at the shows.

Tried the wah first in the chain and wasn't as good of a tone, it was thinner with the wah and TS on at the same time. It really doesn't matter since I only use one effect at a time, mostly. But sometimes the TS and the wah is left on and not rocked...just set in the middle for that weird midrange tone.

Comment

• Big Fat Sammy
      Veteran
      • Feb 2005

Now I just need a way to hold the AC cords in place.

Comment

• zeronumber
        Foot Soldier
        • May 2005

When I first read the threads name, I thought you had the audacity to post something about that garbage band "Bowling For Soup", but I realize that the letters are Initals of your username...

Anyway, tight ass rig.
        Nice tele btw.

Rock on and Rock loud. \\m//
        The Roth Army needs a leader who demonstrates the three "A's",

Attitude, Awesomeness, America.

http://www.samash.com/catalog/imagep..._IRG350EXB.JPG

Comment

• Big Fat Sammy
          Veteran
          • Feb 2005

LMAO at "Bowling For Soup"! Thats great!

Thank ya! The original Tele neck has now found its way to the strat.

Comment

• zeronumber
            Foot Soldier
            • May 2005

Cool, cool.

Anyway, you ever thought about getting a Effects board? I like stand alone pedals too...but constantly having to tap dance either at practice or on stage annoys the shit out of me.

That's why I like the boards, because then you can asign chain effects by 1 pedal alone.

Like my Zoom board I have

Pedal 1: Clean w/ Chorus and Delay
            Pedal 2: Distortion w/ Chorus and Delay
            Pedal 3: Flanger w/Distortion and Delay
            Pedal 4: Metal distortion w/Phaser and Delay.

Then to when it's time to solo, I just turn on my wah connected to the board, and use it with a current patch...

So instead of say having 7-8 pedals lying around, in a total chaotic mess, I only have 3...

The pedal board, A volume pedal, and my Wah.

Comment

• Big Fat Sammy
              Veteran
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by zeronumber
              Cool, cool.

Anyway, you ever thought about getting a Effects board? I like stand alone pedals too...but constantly having to tap dance either at practice or on stage annoys the shit out of me.

That's why I like the boards, because then you can asign chain effects by 1 pedal alone.

Like my Zoom board I have

Pedal 1: Clean w/ Chorus and Delay
              Pedal 2: Distortion w/ Chorus and Delay
              Pedal 3: Flanger w/Distortion and Delay
              Pedal 4: Metal distortion w/Phaser and Delay.

Then to when it's time to solo, I just turn on my wah connected to the board, and use it with a current patch...

So instead of say having 7-8 pedals lying around, in a total chaotic mess, I only have 3...

The pedal board, A volume pedal, and my Wah.

Your talking about multi-effects boards. All the digital stuff I've tryed is too processed for the tone I go for, which is all coming from the amp. I've tryed those, and just can't seem to make them work for me.

Mostly because the gigs I play, whether with the main band, or sub gigs, there is little or no rehearsal or soundcheck...so settings have to be changed on the fly for the first several songs.

I see what you are saying about chain effects, but I still only use one at a time.

I play 90% of the time with all FX off...either on the clean channel, or OD channel on the amp, and I usually don't switch them during songs.

And if it's the OD channel I'm on, I use the TS or 2nd OD "Boost" channel for a little volume boost and sustain on some solos.

If I'm playing clean, I don't change anything for the solos...I just hit the strings harder to cut through.

The phase is used on several songs, with the knobs turned off exept the speed goes straight up. It's never switched on or off during the middle of songs either.

The wah is only used on a couple of the OD channel songs.

I add on an anolog echo for the first song of the third set, it stays on for that one song all the way through, then taken out of the chain if I have time.

So there is not much tapdancing on pedals.

But for people using more FX, and FX combinations at the same time, I'm quite sure the multi FX boards are the way to go.

I play in a backing band for an old school R&B vocal group, The Four Mints. The moment I were to step on Distortion w/ Chorus and Delay, I would have 4 motherfuckers turn around and rip me a new one!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

I remember looking into one of the Apollo commander capsuls at the Kennedy Space Center and everything in there was covered with velcro. If I remember right, velcro was actually invented to hold things for space missions. I had a problem with my velcro coming unstuck from my board and I just got out a bottle of Gorilla Glue and that did the trick.
                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

I think using a rack system makes sense if you have a shit load of effects. You can even mount individual peddles into the rack to get them off the stage.

I'm running 6 peddles and if I have them organized, I don't have any problems. My only problem is my foot hits the lower knob on my Double Muff and turns the level down. That's annoying as hell, I'm tempted to put another A/B switch in and just leave that effect on all the time.

Comment

• Big Fat Sammy
                    Veteran
                    • Feb 2005

That what I did...I made sure it wasn't going anywhere with some crazy glue.

It holds alot better than I though it would.. on the heavy ass wah.

Comment

• Big Fat Sammy
                      Veteran
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                      I think using a rack system makes sense if you have a shit load of effects. You can even mount individual peddles into the rack to get them off the stage.

I'm running 6 peddles and if I have them organized, I don't have any problems. My only problem is my foot hits the lower knob on my Double Muff and turns the level down. That's annoying as hell, I'm tempted to put another A/B switch in and just leave that effect on all the time.
                      I would need a roadie and a guitar tech before I would break out a rack system.

Those big knobs can be cool though...like on my echo, it can be adjusted with your foot.

Comment

• zeronumber
                        Foot Soldier
                        • May 2005

Meh, That's what I like about having a pedal board with a volume/control pedal.

You can actually adjuct the amount of delay or an effect by moving the pedal.

The only thing I got to say, bad about pedal boards is the fuzz setting is pretty tame.

Comment

• Big Fat Sammy
                          Veteran
                          • Feb 2005

yeah and alot of them force you to use some kind of amp modeling in the chain as well.

It would be cool if they made an analog pedal with phase / chorus echo and reverb all in one with no distortion or OD.

Comment

• zeronumber
                            Foot Soldier
                            • May 2005

It would, but then the likes of Zoom, Digitech, Boss and others would go out of buisness. Hence why I hate most pedal companies, mostly theire forcing you to buy a bulk load of their shit, plus extra added nuncess such as pedal wires, adapters, and straps.

That shit get's pricey after a while too. Espesially for little chords between pedals that range anywere from 8-30 bucks.

Comment

• Big Fat Sammy
                              Veteran
                              • Feb 2005

Damn right. Equipment in general is overpriced...and it takes alot of research to get exactly what you need, and a good deal.

Trying stuff out in a store is totally different than when you are at the show, and the amp is cranked, and you don't have time to fiddle with presets and knobs.

The absolute best deal I have found in 15 years is that Traynor Amp.

And the Premier Strat copy is great too. $99 dollars and as good as a Mexican Fender! W/ laminated natural finish too! lol

Comment

• Nitro Express
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

I cranked a Marshall half stack in a Guitar Center one time to test a peddle I was trying out and they went ape shit. Fortunately there was a mom and pop music store that specialized in guitars that didn't give a shit if you cranked something up, in fact, they had a basement room to do that in.

All the guitar tones and players I like use a small handful of effects. Mostly stomp boxes. There's no digital moddeling that's going to nail a good flange sound. Only a Phase 90 sounds like a Phase 90. You better have some good germanium transistors to get a good fuzz tone. Those all in one digital boxes don't do what the old analog stuff does.

To me, electric guitar is pushing a box full of valve tubes into distortion and using old transistor or tube technology in the effects chain. Sure the stuff is expensive. It always has been. But there's no $200 plastic box full of integrated circuits that is going to replace a Marshall Super Lead 100 or good stomp boxes anytime soon.

Comment

Working...