Clear All
  • bluemustard
    Veteran
    • Mar 2006

Breaking a string in a solo

I fear it soo!
    Maybe thats why it breaks??
    Anybody know?
    I like 0,08 strings..but when I play hard gypsy mode and I hit the e string on a very high note it sometimes breaks.
    Pisses me off..

I gotta parker fly deluxe guitar..if i put 0,10 strings on it it might help but the 0,08 strings are more flexable.
    Anybody an expert?
    Are you pretty much fucked if you don't have a private guitar engineer working for ya?
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

Actually you are required to never replace the string.

Once it is broken, your guitar is cursed for eternity.

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Are the strings breaking at the bridge saddles? Playing higher notes makes the string shorter and puts higher tension on it.

I have two Les Pauls. One was breaking strings constantly and the other one with the same guage and brand of strings would play forever without busting a string. Both guitars had the same make of Tune-O-Matic bridges.

What I found was the guitar breaking the strings had a sharper edge on the string saddles. I fixed that by rounding things over a tad with a needle file. You don't have to take too much off either! Just a touch like 10/1000 of an inch or so. If your saddle to string contact is too sharp, it acts just like a string cutter.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• bluemustard
        Veteran
        • Mar 2006

Yeah..they broke at the bridge..I'll try to put tension lower..I aint gonna file stuff..I dunno what I'm doing..Don't wanna fuck up my guitar..
        Maybe he's cursed
        Thanks for the info!!

Comment

• bluemustard
          Veteran
          • Mar 2006

If you wanna release tension..do you go up or down on the bridge with the stringholders?(or whatchamacallit??)
          I wouldnt know..i dont think it needs a needle file caus its all smooth liquid metal type of shit Parker uses I think.
          Do I go up or down for less tension?

Comment

• bluemustard
            Veteran
            • Mar 2006

Comment

• bluemustard
              Veteran
              • Mar 2006

I guess it goes down?
              yeah...i think so..
              man I'm stoned.
              lol

Comment

• Big Troubles
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Feb 2004

Narly.
                "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• DeadOrAlive
                  Veteran
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by bluemustard
                  If you wanna release tension..do you go up or down on the bridge with the stringholders?(or whatchamacallit??)
                  I wouldnt know..i dont think it needs a needle file caus its all smooth liquid metal type of shit Parker uses I think.
                  Do I go up or down for less tension?
                  Those strings look fuckin' huge brother.

Comment

• Don Corleone
                    Veteran
                    • May 2004

I've broke plenty during solo's. I've even seen pro's break strings in the middle of solos (the most recent being Brian May). Personally I'd start using 0.09's if I was you. I've used 0.08's and found that the high E kept going, and I found 0.10's to be a little heavy for my taste.
                    Roth Army Militia

Comment

• bluemustard
                      Veteran
                      • Mar 2006

D.O.A. That pic of the bridge is from the internet..I got a black parker.
                      I use 008 now.
                      But I think I'll try the 009 again like Don said.
                      Thanks!!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Don Corleone
                        I've broke plenty during solo's. I've even seen pro's break strings in the middle of solos (the most recent being Brian May). Personally I'd start using 0.09's if I was you. I've used 0.08's and found that the high E kept going, and I found 0.10's to be a little heavy for my taste.

Spot on.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Is the Parker a string through body design like a Stratocaster? Because if it is the breakage might not be at the saddles but where the string bends over the edge of the hole to the saddle. This is a problem in the traditional Stratocaster bridge.

Stevie Ray Vaughn's guitar tech had a brilliant sollution to the problem. He would strip off the insulation off of wire with wire strippers and slip the hollow plastic tubes over the guitar strings. This way you have a protecting sleave between your bridge friction point and the string.
                          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• DeadOrAlive
                            Veteran
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by bluemustard
                            D.O.A. That pic of the bridge is from the internet..I got a black parker.
                            I use 008 now.
                            But I think I'll try the 009 again like Don said.
                            Thanks!!
                            Haha sweet. I dig the heavier gauges, and one guitar I've got a .12 on the high E. The tone tears the skin off your face. But I'd recommend you don't get any gauges that high, because they can be a bitch to play.

.009's are good, because they're still a light to average gauge, and you still get complete control.

Comment

• Panamark
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

Always have a second tuned up axe nearby...
                              Hammer on, on one of the "non broken strings" until
                              your beer swillin roadie passes you the backup axe...

Or just smash your guitar while staring at the the crowd
                              as though you are about to murder them with a chainsaw...
                              BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                              Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

Working...