Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

I could possibly be of some help, but you don't seem to care for me or my brand of entertainment...

So, sod off...

Comment

• MERRYKISSMASS2U
      Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

I don't really want or need your help.

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Steel stringed guitars have a steel reinforcement rod that runs through the neck. If that rod wasn't there the 300lbs of pull the strings put on the neck when tuned would bow the neck to where the guitar would be unplayable. Most truss rods are adjustable and have a little nut you turn. Access to this nut is either on the heal of the neck or through a hole behind the nut on the headstock. Turning the nut to the right tightens the truss rod and straightens the bow of the neck. Loosening the nut does the opposite and increases the bow of the neck.

A bridge saddle is simply the metal thing the string goes across at the bridge and they are usually adjustable for hieght (up and down) and innotation (in and out).

If your bridge saddles and truss rod aren't adjusted right the guitar is a misserable bitch to play. Some people pull their hair out and fuck the thing up more trying to fix it.

Amazingly manny music stores have no idea either.

Always the master at the simple. Eddie Van Halen mentioned how he sets up his guitars and I like the way his method works. Theres a zillion different ways and it gets confusing as hell. Ed does it so simple.

First, make sure all the strings are on the guitar and tune to standard tuning (A 440hrz). Once you have that. You take a one foot metal ruler (The kind that go with a carpenters level /square) and see if the tops of the frets are level. If the neck has a sag in it tighten the truss rod but only in small amounts. One whole turn on a truss rod nut is a lot. I use quarter turns. Some time is needed to let the neck settle in so this process is kind of on-going until the guitar settles the way you like it. Once you have the neck straight just your string hieght. If the strings are too high lower them, if they are too low, bring them up. You do this by raising the saddles at the bridge.

Eddie lowers his stings until they start to buzz and backs them off a bit. Once you have that done your guitar is setup for some easy playing. If the big E string buzzes you might loosen the truss rod a tad just to put enough bow in the neck to give the big bastard some vibrating room.

Hard picking players like Stevie Ray Vaughn like high action strings because play so hard low action means buzzing strings. Players like Eddie Van Halen like a low action and light guage strings.

The method I described is how Eddie sets up his guitars and the only tool you need is a good metal ruler and usually some hex wrenches and screwdrivers.

When you raise your bridge saddles you want to have them the same radius as the neck on the guitar. You can make a radius guage by drawing out a circle as the same radiouse as the neck's fretboard. Draw it on some poster board and cut it out. Use the curve to set the saddles to.
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

How 'bout just setting each string to the neck, play it while incorporating some huge bends, and slightly raise the strings that buzz ??

Personally, I like a little buzz...

Makes it squeal...

Comment

• ELVIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2003

Nice reply though...

I wasn't trying to get ya...

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Jan 2004

Eddie Ate Dynamite Good Bye Eddie
              http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
              http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

• MERRYKISSMASS2U
                Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

Does anyone know how to change the tempo on guitar pro 5?

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Can I be the rain on the parade?

You've left it too late. You will never be a good guitarist.

Comment

• MERRYKISSMASS2U
                    Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

Thanks for giving me motivation to prove you wrong.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

I've seen people retire who never had a music lesson in their life and because they no longer have to work, they jump right in and learn an instrument. I know a guy who started playing piano at age 60 and he's 80 now and kicks ass on it. He sometimes plays at Nordstroms or at high end parties and gets paid pretty well to do it.

It's never too late.

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

Is that what it's about, getting paid ??

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

It's the guys who are always chasing something in life who live a full one. The people who give up fill nursing homes and are miserable fucks.

You are going to fucking die sometime so might as well turn the crank now and set out to accomplish something new. Life isn't fair. Some people get screwed through the whole deal. Others seem to luck out. Fuck the comparisons and live life for yourself.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Nope. But nobody is going to pay you if you suck. I think it's cool. A lot of people have nothing to do in their retirement and they just watch TV all day and get paranoid and negative. They constantly watch their investments paranoid they are going to outlive their money.

Hey, life is mostly buying and selling. Music is art and in the highest sense it shouldn't be about $$$$$$ but if people dig your art they will pay for it and what's wrong with taking the money?

Comment

• Big Fat Sammy
                              Veteran
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                              but if people dig your art they will pay for it and what's wrong with taking the money?
                              I'm all about the money.

But I could make alot more by playing in a crappy rock band playing Green Day covers for drunken chachis and pom-pom girls who really don't give a fuck...

...in my opinion its ok to be into the cashola, but a line must be drawn...

In other words...I'd rather be homeless than be in a Jimmy Buffett tribute band. No shit.

Comment

• MERRYKISSMASS2U
                                Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

Well, I just had my fourth lesson today.

We reviewed barre chords again... he showed me how to play Dani California by RHCP....

AND!....

he showed me palm muting and power chords.... all in order to play the main riff of Megadeth's symphony of Destruction.

Comment

Working...