Clear All
  • sammysucks65
    Head Fluffer
    • May 2005

nice!

Comment

• Matt White
      • Jun 2004

I'm a huge fan of the 50's TV model JR........

one of the best looking guitars in history............

Comment

• GAR
        Banned
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
        I remember watching Joan Jett play one of those Gibson planks in the 80's and wanting to stick my dick in her butt.
        That was a Melody Maker somebody loaded humbuckers onto.

Her boyfriend commited suicide and she turned gay and quit playing for a decade but I wonder where that white MM went?

I saw one just like it in the trade-in pile at Guitar Center Hollywood back in 84, similar crackled lacquer finish and humbuckers, $400 at the time. I wonder if that was Joans' trade-in, and who got it because that thing was a well-balanced thing.

Comment

• GAR
          Banned
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by rustoffa
          It looks like crap to alot of people
          They feel like toys. That's a girl's guitar.

Comment

• rustoffa
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by GAR
            That's a girl's guitar.

Comment

• GAR
              Banned
              • Jan 2004

Your post belongs in the "new gear I bought" thread.. now go find it please.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2004

Originally posted by cdef393
                Paddy: 'I couldn't get to the match last Saturday. What was the score?'Mick: 'Nil-nil.'Paddy: `What was it at half-time?'............................................ .................................................. ...............................................wow gold|buy world of warcraft gold| http://www.mmoinn.com/mmoinn_pl

FUCK OFF SPAMMING KUNT!
                Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2004

The Savickicaster !

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • May 2004

Ain't it pretty?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
                    Nice ,great sounding R&R planks...

Comment

• GAR
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2004

There's a magnet trick I can tell you of:

If you think the lead pickups too bitey, like you hear too much of the pick and like the sound but want to diminish some of that harsh P90 characteristic:

Take the pickup out

Loosen the screws that attach the coil to the brass plate 3 full turns.

There are 2 alnico bar magnets because the pickup was designed in 1948 when alnico magnets were weak, they don't need so much power these days so you take one out..

Keep a Sharpie marker handy, and push the magnet out from the side with a butterknife carefully and slowly enough that you do not lose direction of the magnets' orientation.. when you get it out immediately mark the side of the bar that touched the screws by writing "screws" and then write "top" to the topside that touches the bobbin.

Tighten the plate, then reinsert pickup. That should warm things up a bit and if you want your squeally pig high noises back again, you've marked the magnet's orientation so it can just slide back in.

If the bobbin tips when you tighten the screws back, it's because you tightened to much. Loosen em up again and take a popsickle stick or matchbook cover folded over a couple times and cram it under the bobbin to the height of the removed magnet. You'll need to shim it if you can't figure out that the bezel screws only need to be tight enough to keep the magnet remaining from falling out sideways. Otherwise, use a shim.

Comment

• rustoffa
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2004

Don't break what's already broke!!!

Comment

• Sarge
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Feb 2003

Originally posted by GAR
                          There's a magnet trick I can tell you of:

If you think the lead pickups too bitey, like you hear too much of the pick and like the sound but want to diminish some of that harsh P90 characteristic:

Take the pickup out

Loosen the screws that attach the coil to the brass plate 3 full turns.

There are 2 alnico bar magnets because the pickup was designed in 1948 when alnico magnets were weak, they don't need so much power these days so you take one out..

Keep a Sharpie marker handy, and push the magnet out from the side with a butterknife carefully and slowly enough that you do not lose direction of the magnets' orientation.. when you get it out immediately mark the side of the bar that touched the screws by writing "screws" and then write "top" to the topside that touches the bobbin.

Tighten the plate, then reinsert pickup. That should warm things up a bit and if you want your squeally pig high noises back again, you've marked the magnet's orientation so it can just slide back in.

If the bobbin tips when you tighten the screws back, it's because you tightened to much. Loosen em up again and take a popsickle stick or matchbook cover folded over a couple times and cram it under the bobbin to the height of the removed magnet. You'll need to shim it if you can't figure out that the bezel screws only need to be tight enough to keep the magnet remaining from falling out sideways. Otherwise, use a shim.
                          Gar,
                          You are a good resource on everything gear related!
                          Nice guitar Rustoffa!
                          ROTHARMY.COM WEBMASTER AND FOUNDER
                          The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

MY GROUPS ON ROTHARMY.COM
                          [Fender Custom Shop Owners Club]

Comment

• GAR
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2004

Well, thanks! It works.. I just figured my 50's P90's sounded SO MUCH softer than the modern ones I was like "hell, why so much magnetism?"

Because the humbuckers, they use a shim on the other side why wouldnt it work on a P90 if you took out one of the mag bars, you could always slide it back in right?

Worked like a charm, dulls the briteness and all you're out is 2 hours with a screwdriver and is totally reversible.

The Alnico formulaes, I asked Seth Lover when he was still around, what was the best he said nobody knows so long as what Gibson ordered back in the day worked they didn't question it too much if it was a deal and was consistent enough.

But the metals foundries post-war 50's had all kinds of slurpluss rare earth magnetizable stock. Remember, alnico's not magnetized when it comes poured into the mould - after its' ground and surfaced into little bars and slugs, it's hit with high current called "tropicalizing" "magnetizing" "gaussed" and other inhouse terms particular to the industry.

One a magnet's magnetized, it's called isotropic (or "hit with current") and if it's not been hit with the highcurrent field, it's called "anisotropic" because there's no North nor South.

Sometimes alnico's sold both ways, if you try some vague sources for experimenting with your pickups you have to specify "isotropic" or "magnetized" if you don't have the unit to do it.

The difference in cost is pennies..

Comment

Working...