• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

Epiphone Makes Some Kickass Guitars....

Ok so April Fool's Day was my Bufday.

I was having a conversation with my best friend last Friday (he lives in Everett, WA). He suddenly informs me that since I have never owned a Les Paul, he is going to buy me an Epi Les Paul Studio for my bufday.

We have known each other for 30 years this month. I have sent him numerous care packages over the years with CDs, DVDs, magazines, books, etc., and last fall I built him a PC and shipped it to him, as the one he had was ancient.

The reason I have done the above that he is on 100% disability, as he has asthma, a heart condition AND Type 2 diabetes. I am not rich, so, since he is my best friend, I just try to help him out the best I can.

What are best friends for, right?

He recently won a battle with the Social Security Administration, who for some reason felt he did not deserve to be receiving beneftits.

For the second time (first time was 4 years ago) the judge deciding the case reamed the officials of the gummint, telling them they should be crucified for denying my friend benefits.

So he got 2 years of back pay. So he decided to buy me this axe.

I never helped him with any thought of getting anything in return. I have just been doing better than him health-wise, and financially too, so what the fuck.

The box arrived yesterday.

Photo from online:

My dog inspects it for damage:

It was made by who?

It was made where?

The New Addition To The Fambly (Number 9, Number 9, Number 9.....):

As for playability, it is perfect. I had to do my intonation, and setup, and I put a new set of strings on it. Plays great! No complaints!

Found no flaws in construction. Paint is perfect as well. Neck feels fantastic.
    Fingerboard is nice and smooth, frets are dressed perfectly.

Tone wise, I am used to active pickups, so these sound weak. There is a lot of low end in the tone as well. I turned my half-stack up to 1, with my Tube Screamer (TS-) up full. The feedback I got was REALLY low end. No microphonic squeal.

Someday I will put some better pickups in it, but overall I give this 10 out of 10.

Amazing the cool stuff that happens in life sometimes.
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

Sweet!

I love my Epi Tony Iommi signature model, but it was built in Korea...

Also, the Iommi model has real USA Iommi pups that sound just right...

Comment

• Hardrock69
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Feb 2005

Yeah, my Korina V and Explorer were Korea-built.

I am very impressed. I could not ask for better quality. Only that I have Gibson on the headstock lol.

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

I love my Korean Epiphone G400. The pots and switch were shit but I kept the pickups. They sound fine. I also have an Epiphone Jack Casady signature bass which is great. Jack Casady says the workmanship on the higher end Epiphone stuff is better than some of the Gibson stuff he has bought. He went with Epiphone because the dies to make the Les Paul bass hie likes was shipped to Korea and the equipment to make it was at Epiphone. The pickup was designed by jack and Gibson engineers in Nashville.
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Sarge
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Feb 2003

I had an Epiphone Elitist Sg that was MIJ.. it was one of the best guitars I have ever had.
          ROTHARMY.COM WEBMASTER AND FOUNDER
          The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

MY GROUPS ON ROTHARMY.COM
          [Fender Custom Shop Owners Club]

Comment

• indeedido
            Veteran
            • Feb 2004

I have the Ace Frehley Epi, LOVE IT. Have a gold Epi SG, LOVE IT
            This space for rent.

Comment

• sadaist
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jul 2004

I dig that shade of arctic white. Looks nice.
              “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• DLRdelight!
                Veteran
                • Jul 2004

I have an Epi Elitist Nick Valensi Riviera. Hands down the best guitar i have ever played. The feel. The vibe. The look. Fucking great guitar.

Comment

• jackassrock
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Sep 2004

I've been using a tobacco burst Epi dot with gibson 57 classics in it lately. Top notch guitar. A+
                  It's a shame that families should be torn apart by something as simple as....wild dogs

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Sarge
                    I had an Epiphone Elitist Sg that was MIJ.. it was one of the best guitars I have ever had.
                    I think the Made in Japan Epiphones are way better than anything Gibson is making in the USA now.
                    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Panamark
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

Never owned an EPI, thinking about it after all the positivity here !
                      I would seekout a japanese one..
                      BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                      Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

Some Korean models are nice too...as are some of the guitars built there...

Comment

• Panamark
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

Had a bad run with Korean anything.....
                          Played a beautiful RG series Korean Ibanez,
                          so I can see you point.. Korean would be plan b...
                          BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                          Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Reverberator
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Aug 2004

My Epi LP custom is a good guitar , nice and heavy and a decent tone.It's a white one and it's started to yellow quite nicely , give it another few years it will look quite vintage.

Was thinking of a Gibson but I bought the Yngwie instead.

Last edited by Reverberator; 04-13-2009, 01:45 PM.
                            Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale
                            the chazzers are so lucky
                            so fortunate to be served by the dump messiah
                            http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...TheDMCross.jpg

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • May 2004

Here's my Epi's

I've played and seen some atrocious Epi's. But to have a guitar that is well built, sounds great,looks good and does'nt cost an arm and a leg is a wonderful thing. Especially for a back up guitar to beat on and not worry so much about scratching or denting (speaking for myself here)

1st one here is my Epi "goth" my 'ol lady got me for X-mas a couple of years ago. I took the liberty of changing the pup frames and truss cover to cream ones as well as changing the bridge pup to a Dimarzio "Fred".
                              I've owned a couple of Gibby V's in the past and this one plays and sounds just as good...

2nd up is a 2006 Epi Les Paul Custom
                              I bought this used for $250 @ the local chain music store. I came with "gold" hardware ,so I thought I'd go with it a bit.
                              I swapped out the original black knobs for some gold ones I had kickin aboot.
                              Got a pair of EMG's and a couple of "gold" pup frames off Ebay (cheap) and I'm off to the races. Like the rest of my electrics ,they're strung with D'addario 10-52's.

Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

Working...