Banned
    • May 2004

THEY SELL DIRECT

TAKE YOU ABOUT A MONTH IN SHIPPING TO GET IT THOUGH

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Buy the Marshall 1989 Super Lead 100 reissue and then have the Custom Audio Electronics Crunch mod done to it. Eddie used simular amps for his live sound (check out customaudioelectronics.com theres some picutures of Eddie's live rig) until the 5150 came into the scene.

Of course you need a Marshall 1960B speaker cabinet loaded with Celesian 25 watt speakers to get the early tone.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Don Corleone
        Veteran
        • May 2004

Originally posted by Brownsound1
        There is an amp that gets that tone pretty good...it is called the Peacemaker. It is manufactured by Mojave Amp Works.
        I've just bought one of those things, and it smokes.
        Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Those Peacemakers look like great amps. Very well built and handwired to boot. In fact, I think they are better than the original old Marshalls because the output transformers won't blow on you. But for $2700, they should be a good amp.

You still can get close to classic VH tone without spending a fortune. Probably the cheapest way to go is a good digital sampler. I can get close with a cheap SOVTEK MIG 50 amp and a Marshall cab.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Don Corleone
            Veteran
            • May 2004

Actually the Line 6 Pod XT has got a good classic Ed sound pre-programed into it (Eruption)
            Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Brett
              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Just wanted to add that it's damn near impossible to get Ed's old sound with a 5150 unless you get rid of that piece of shit Peavey cabinet with those awful Sheffield speakers, and use a Marshall cab instead. The singer in our band had a 5150 half stack with the crappy 5150 cab, and I have mine with a Marshall cab with greenbacks, and the warmth of the tone of is night and day. He finally got smart and just got a Mesa.

I have a Pod XT, the Eruption tone is a cool preset, but it doesn't really sound good for anything but VH1. With some tweaking of the Pod, you can get something closer to the VH2 / Fair Warning tone.

Comment

• GAR
                Banned
                • Jan 2004

The aim in getting any particular amp sound is having an understanding of the transducers that were involved in the recording as much as the added gainstages in Ed's amp.

If I had to go thru mailorder for a setup, I'd have the Mojave 100 (do they call it a "Peacemaker"?), an original Ross compressor (to compensate for the lack of a companding circuit Ed had in the Schaffer-vega wireless transmitter,) a Pearl phaser, two delays equivalent of an Echoplex Model EP-3 and some type of spring reverb unit using an Accutronics tank. Plus a strat copy body with a standard-stock Fender block trem, an EMG-AB model Afterburner preamp, and a T-top Gibson humbucker pickup from the 70's with about 250 winds removed from each bobbin - and of course a Marshall cabinet with two G12-H30 and two G12-M25 speakers in it wired series-parallel for 16ohms.

Comment

• LickMyCream
                  Groupie
                  • Aug 2004

Cheaper Alternative

$125 Microcube amp (or any other Roland Cube)
                  Put setting on Marshall Stack (Plexi)
                  Gain, to about 6, Volume all the way up, tone about 5 give or take
                  flanger to your taste, delay to your taste.

To make it even more authentic

$200 BurstBucker Pro (Most accurate PAF copy) in bridge position
                  http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/attac...&postid=280283

Comment

Working...