X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Diamondjimi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2004

Talk about a nice score...

Good day today was. My buddy calls me up this evening and says "Hey, someone threw a speaker cabinet to the curb today for garbage collection. It looked decent enough so I threw it in my trailer and brought it home for ya!"
    So I'm thinkin it probably some old cabinet loaded with some old crappy old Radio Shack honkers...
    So I goes to buddy's place , pick up the cab and bring it down to my studio for further inspection. For one, it's obviously a homemade deal>(not a bad one I might add). It's a straight faced 4x12 with a tan Fender tweed style grill and black faux cracked leather style covering. Not bad,not great...

Now here's the good part.....
    I pull out the Black & Decker cordless drill and unzip the 20 or so screws holding the back panel on only to reveal 4 of these fuckers!!!

SWEEEET!
    Gonna see if I can run the serial #s to get a year on 'em.
    Like they say, one mans trash is another mans treasure!

Will post pics soon!
    Last edited by Diamondjimi; 09-14-2009, 11:54 PM.
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!
  • Diamondjimi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2004

Greenbacks have always been a huge part of my sound. Bought my first Marshall cab back in '81-'82 (around then). It was a late 60's 4x12 basket weave grill slant for $265.
    I've used it on every gig and recording I've made since then. Still using it to this day. I love the 25w Greenbacks. I dig the way they truely come to life when run at concert volume. Old fucking school!!!

Comment

• jhale667
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Congrats, bro!!

SCORE!!!

Have you checked them out yet? Are they all functional, none blown? Holy crap, why would someone throw away ANY cab with Greenbacks (still) in them, y'know?

Ya lucky bastard!

Originally posted by conmee
      If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
      Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
      I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
      Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
      Originally posted by eddie78
      I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
        SCORE!!!

Have you checked them out yet? Are they all functional, none blown? Holy crap, why would someone throw away ANY cab with Greenbacks (still) in them, y'know?

Ya lucky bastard!

I'll check 'em out in detail tomorrow. They look to be in good shape. I'll test the cab. ohmage and give 'er a whirl. I'll let cha know how it works out.
        Why somone would kick 'em to the curb? Hmm your guess is as good as mine.
        Maybe the old man finally cleaned out the basement or garage years after the kids moved out and simply figured it's just an old speaker box takin up space.
        Felt like I hit the motherload.
        I remember a story a highschool friend told me back in the day of a friend of his finding an old Marshall cab at the curb and dragging it home on the bus. I always had that story in the back of my mind ...

I'm sure GARbage has a second shopping cart full of vintage Greenbacks he pulls along behind him...
        Last edited by Diamondjimi; 09-15-2009, 12:55 AM.

Comment

• Igosplut
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Diamondjimi
          Why somone would kick 'em to the curb? Hmm your guess is as good as mine.
          Maybe the old man finally cleaned out the basement or garage years after.....
          Son: Dad, where's that speaker cab I just bought?

Father: I don't know, but your mother cleaned out the garage yesterday..

Son: What???
          Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• GAR
            Banned
            • Jan 2004

I'm sure GARbage has a second shopping cart full of vintage Greenbacks he pulls along behind him...
            Ho lee crap, you came up! Yes I keep spare sets in storage, nested in plastic milk crates: they barely fit, magnets nested back to back with the cones out, stack very well like that till I need 'em.

Hey this is great, post the frame code numbers maybe you have some really rare Thames Ditton Surrey ones the geeks call "pre-Rolas".

These type of greenbacks 1968 and before and sometimes up to about 1971 are really important because they are a world of difference from the later greenbacks. They used the Pulsonics 016-003 cone not the 1777 or 444 and the sensitivity is much higher, testing as high as 99 db or more meaning more than twice the volume from the same program voltage input than the standard greenbacks' 97 db. Which is still pretty good.. but the more sensitivity the more articulate and everything..

Date codes! Gimmee gimmee gimeee..

Comment

• Diamondjimi
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2004

Here's da pix...

Front

Back inside...

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2004

Close up of speaker...

Comment

• jackassrock
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Sep 2004

Fuckin' NICE !!!
                  It's a shame that families should be torn apart by something as simple as....wild dogs

Comment

• indeedido
                    Veteran
                    • Feb 2004

un-fucking-believable
                    This space for rent.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Greenbacks have always been a huge part of my sound. Bought my first Marshall cab back in '81-'82 (around then). It was a late 60's 4x12 basket weave grill slant for $265.
                      I've used it on every gig and recording I've made since then. Still using it to this day. I love the 25w Greenbacks. I dig the way they truely come to life when run at concert volume. Old fucking school!!!
                      A lot of people overlook the speakers. They diddle with the amp and not so much the speakers but it's like tires on a car. A car really is only as good as the tires on it, but everyone likes to talk about torque/horsepower but not tires.
                      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

I cringe thinking those almost ended up in a landfill.
                        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • May 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                          I cringe thinking those almost ended up in a landfill.
                          Talk about fate/good timing on my buddy's behalf.

Celestion | Guitar Loudspeakers

Damn I just scored over $800 in smokin assed speakers, nice!
                          Buy Celestion G12M Heritage Guitar Speaker | Speakers | Musician's Friend

Comment

• GAR
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2004

I am freaking out for you, but this is no Fender. This is a particle-board piece of shit cab, and you gotta find another home for these bad boys.

The baffle board is mdf which Fender would never use, but the guy realised this by adding mirror clips to help support the speakers. Maybe the wood screws came loose and the guy who built this figured out they needed more weight control - like your mom's been probbly telling you yourself.

But don't be tempted to part the cab out till you score a replacement to load 'em in. Enjoy them as-is.

These are T1221, true greenbacks and not the post-2005 Chinese made ones, neither. They sound harsh for about the first 30 hours but then they warm up really buttery and get a rubbery feel which cuts the highs off your distortion tone ALOT. That's what the Greenback does really really well.

It's wired parallel, if they're 16 ohms this means you have to set a tube head to 4 ohms. But you'll fuck that up like everything else you do in life.

So I have a suggestion: rather than blow an amp you don't have yet, work something out with Jay to pay for shipping. He can actually use them. Your life is in the toilet, and he's trying to make an effort to get climb out and I think these will help him.

These speakers will not help you. But let's have the date codes next to the T1221 number which is important to see how old they really are. Because of the hook tabs and not slide-on connections I would guess pre-1979 because that's when they came up with the cheaper slide-on tabs with the development of the 75 watter.

Comment

• GAR
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2004

These are common 444 cones, but they are vintage.

They are more desirable than fuckin' $200 shit chinese cones... btw

Comment

Working...