• Show
Clear All
  • jhale667
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Gibson's offices raided by the Feds!!

Feds raid Gibson offices

Iconic company investigated for illegal importation of Madagascar wood

Feds raid Gibson offices | The Law | NashvillePost.com: Nashville Business News + Nashville Political News

UPDATED: To clarify that charges have yet to be filed and identify the federal agency involved in the office search; adds statement from Gibson.

Federal agents from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and local police today seized wood, guitars, computers and boxes of files from Gibson Guitar's Massman Road manufacturing facility.

Sources say the Nashville-based guitar manufacturer is being investigated for violating the Lacey Act, a key piece of environmental law, for importing endangered species of rosewood from Madagascar.

Rosewood is widely used in the construction of guitars and sells for $5,000 per cubic meter, more than double the price of mahogany. The island nation off Africa's east coast is a key producer of the hardwood, the export of which has links to international criminal activity.

A statement from Gibson released late Tuesday afternoon says the company is "fully co-operating" with the investigation.

"Gibson Guitar is fully cooperating with agents of the United States Fish & Wildlife Service as it pertains to an issue with harvested wood. Gibson is a chain of custody certified buyer who purchases wood from legal suppliers who are to follow all standards. Gibson Guitar Chairman and CEO [Henry Juszkiewicz] sits on the board of the Rainforest Alliance and takes the issue of certification very seriously. The company will continue to cooperate fully and assist our federal government with all inquiries and information," the company's statement said.

Madagascar has struggled financially since a January coup and new President Andry Rajoelina issued an executive order in September legalizing the export of rosewood and ebony. The move was decried by environmental groups and political leaders worldwide, as hardwood forests are key to Madagascar's unique ecology and serve as a habitat for a dwindling lemur population.

Sources tell NashvillePost.com Gibson was involved in a scheme that shipped the wood from Madagascar to Germany and then to the United States.
    Originally posted by conmee
    If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
    Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
    I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
    Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
    Originally posted by eddie78
    I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.
  • Coyote
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

Un-fuckin'-real...
    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Will someone please think of the lemurs.

I always wonder what percentage of the combined sound of an electric guitar, amp, effects pedals and fingers is decided by exact type of wood of the body.

I suspect very very little.

Comment

• jhale667
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Will someone please think of the lemurs.

I always wonder what percentage of the combined sound of an electric guitar, amp, effects pedals and fingers is decided by exact type of wood of the body.

The body? More than you think, actually...
        If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Coyote
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

Fretboard wood? a bit...
          Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• ELVIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2003

Sure, the type of wood plays a part in the tone, but it doesn't necessiarily make the tone good, or desirable...

Comment

• jhale667
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

However, cheap rosewood fretboards feel awful ...

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by jhale667
                The body? More than you think, actually...

You are NOT of the body!!!!!!

Comment

• Kristy
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

On an electric the natural tome characteristics wouldn't add up to much as they would on a dreadnought acoustic. I would not put this past Gibson though in that they would poach wood like a hunter does ivory elephant tusks too sell to a select few customers on the side in these economic times. Be interesting to see how this plays out.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

When I saw the title of the thread I assumed they were getting raided for daylight robbery.

The price of a Les Paul standard is insane.

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

I agree with that, especially considering the quality...

Comment

• VanHalenFan5150
                        Sniper
                        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by ELVIS
                        Sure, the type of wood plays a part in the tone, but it doesn't necessiarily make the tone good, or desirable...
                        I really like maple necks... Sadly all I have now are two rosewood-necked guitars. I've been looking for a really nice maple-necked one lately though, they seem to feel and look so much better than rosewoods. Rosewoods are... icky, because they're so common. Maple is softer, in my opinion, as well.
                        Reading Crazy From the Heat in four hours flat, in a cramped RV, on the return trip of a 3,000+ mile family outing to New Jersey is an enlightening experience you'll never forget.

Comment

• jhale667
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

I like primarily Ebony and then Maple fretboards, in that order....as for Rosewood, the only kind I've liked is Brazilian, doesn't seem to dry out as fast - or as much as other types. That's the only bummer about my Sunburst Strat, feels like I need to oil the fretboard every two weeks..(I've considered swapping out the neck I hate the Rosewood board so much).
                          I put a Pau Ferro one on my Purple Strat, like that too...looks like (lighter) Rosewood feels like Ebony!

Brazilian Rosewood is expensive though, so one could see them cutting corners... if they were the sneaky types...

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• ELVIS
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2003

Maple is harder in the sense that a baseball bat is very hard maple...

For instance, scalloping a maple fretboard by hand takes maybe three or four times longer than a similar (softer) rosewood board...

A maple board Stratocaster is very much brighter sounding than a similar guitar with a rosewood board...

As far as the feel, especially when scalloped, I can't tell a difference if the demensions are the same...

Comment

• ELVIS
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2003

I do have one rosewood board that seems to need oiling with lemon oil far more frequently than my others...

Comment

Working...