In search of the best and simplest Tele tone.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rocknrolldork
    Foot Soldier
    • Jun 2004

In search of the best and simplest Tele tone.

I have always loved the sound of Telecasters. Just got a couple of mine out for the first time in too long. Tonight I'm trying a couple simple stock combos to try to get as close to some of the classic sounds from country, funk, soul and rock. I'm trying an early Mesa Studio (pre-Studio .22) 1 x 12 and a Tweed Fender Blues Deville 4 x 10. Any of you all play Telecasters? Any advice on other simple amps and/or setting to make the Tele sound like it should?
  • CSM
    Full On Cocktard
    • Apr 2007

Try a '59 Bassman reissue as far as an amp. as for amp settings on any amp to get that tele twang drop the bass to almost nothing 2 or so bring up the mids to maybe at 6 or so. crank the treble and use very little presence. That'll keep things bright and twangy.
    "Now we gotta make the best of it, improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, shit happens, I Ching, whatever man, we gotta roll with it." Vincent

Comment

• GAR
      Banned
      • Jan 2004

99 black MIM Tele here, pawn prize $100.00

Last month I stripped the finish with a heat gun, did a strat-style belly cut and armcut on the bandsaw, then picked up a Stetsbro trem for it.

I got a '68 lead pickup and bridge for it, then picked up a Stetsbro trem for it instead with a zebra PAF from an ES-175(?) some shit.. output is a nice 8.1K.

What I liked about it most was price, good tuners and nice stock chromey bridge.

What I didn't like was having to rebuild the thing completely - the necks' like a baseball bat and needs a shave.. also paint was too thick and I hated the radiuses. I expect a Tele to have the sharp edges and its a shame I had to strip it down to get it back to the proper edges... the bowling-ball finish just was so thick the edges' radius grew to like 5/16" and the original 50s thru early 70s had 1/8" radiuses.

I'm planning on doing an antique pink paisley from an old roll of wallpaper. I have enough to do dozens of tops and backs if I wanted..

I'm using my most-used amp with it, Gallien-Kruegar GK250-ML Microlead Stereo with the stock 2x12 cab and although it's piercing twang is not beset by the EQ or solid-state output, I have a wah and an FET preamp with a tube-based treble booster to warm things up for it.

For the record, the stock Made In Mexico pickups come from China and they are horrible.

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Telecasters sound wonderful through a Fender Champ.

Fender '57 Champ Reissue Combo Amp MINT, NO RESERVE! - eBay (item 250572967030 end time Feb-07-10 15:06:42 PST)
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

I have one of these. Run it through a clean power amp (I use a Carvin DCM 1000) and a good speaker cab and they sound wonderful.

Comment

• Hardrock69
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by GAR
            99 black MIM Tele here, pawn prize $100.00

Last month I stripped the finish with a heat gun, did a strat-style belly cut and armcut on the bandsaw, then blah blah blah
            Awwwe BULLSHIT!

STFU already!

Let someone have a fucking thread about gear without all your self-important Mr. Know-It-All lying!

Comment

• GAR
              Banned
              • Jan 2004

Coolest Tele amp, though I don't own one would be original Fender Twin.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2004

Originally posted by rocknrolldork
                I have always loved the sound of Telecasters. Just got a couple of mine out for the first time in too long. Tonight I'm trying a couple simple stock combos to try to get as close to some of the classic sounds from country, funk, soul and rock. I'm trying an early Mesa Studio (pre-Studio .22) 1 x 12 and a Tweed Fender Blues Deville 4 x 10. Any of you all play Telecasters? Any advice on other simple amps and/or setting to make the Tele sound like it should?
                Go with a Fender Deville. Great tone...

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                Awwwe BULLSHIT!

STFU already!

Let someone have a fucking thread about gear without all your self-important Mr. Know-It-All lying!
                Is there such a thing as over-replying? Christ he just rambles and rambles. Seems like GARfail's been on the receiving end of one too many donkey punches...

Originally posted by GAR
                Coolest Tele amp, though I don't own one would be original Fender Twin.
                Yeah, maybe if you're playing in a Beach Boys cover band...

My fav. Tele tone is with a Marshall...
                Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• GAR
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2004

This thread ultimately develops the question "what best speaker" for a Telecaster.. and having owned an original 61 Bassman must say: the ceramic-mag Oxford that came stock is one shitty speaker.

They turn rubbery when you go past 4 in a 2x12 configuration, using the stock Bassman which might be 22 watts.

I don't like ceramic magnet Oxfords OR CTS's. I like the alnico's though.

Comment

• Kristy
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Diamondjimi

My fav. Tele tone is with a Marshall...
                    Is it just me or does Beck seem to be walking all over Clapton without even trying?

Anyhoo, My all-time (yes all-time fav) solo by Jeff Beck was the one he played in 'Too Much To Lose' I apologize for the Spinal Tap-esque cheesy YouTube "vid" Solo starts around 1:49
                    Last edited by Kristy; 02-02-2010, 02:26 AM. Reason: because he's Jeff Beck, duh!?

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
                      Is it just me or does Beck seem to be walking all over Clapton without even trying?
                      Yeah , pretty much...
                      Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Hardrock69
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Feb 2005

Funny, I never wanted a Tele. But my Fender Lead II has a pair of single coil EMGs in it, and it's tone is so Tele-snarly it sounds like a rabid wolverine.

Comment

• jackassrock
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Sep 2004

THE classic Tele setup is as follows;

Telecaster, Fender Tweed Deluxe.

None more awesome. You can even throw a TS-9 in between in case you want to rock it up a bit. And don't forget the reverb. If you are going with what you've got use the Blues Deville. I have one of them too, and it will deliver a real close approximation to the classic F clean tone, should do you just right for your telecastonation.
                          Last edited by jackassrock; 02-02-2010, 11:03 AM.
                          It's a shame that families should be torn apart by something as simple as....wild dogs

Comment

• Hardrock69
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Feb 2005

I would tend to agree.

My best friend had an early Tweed Twin that must have been a one off. It was a mid-50s amp, all stock parts from the factory, but it had differences that set it aside from all other production-model tweed Twins.

Anyway, he also had an early 70s Tele, and man...that was the ultimate.

Being an old Twin, you could turn that sucker up and it would ROAR.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Comment

Working...