Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jhale667
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Aren't bass players like, required by law to have their own direct boxes or something anyway?

The SansAmp's a good one, btw..
    Last edited by jhale667; 06-04-2010, 02:00 AM.
    Originally posted by conmee
    If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
    Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
    I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
    Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
    Originally posted by eddie78
    I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• GO-SPURS-GO
      Sniper
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jhale667
      Aren't bass players like, required by law to have their own direct boxes or something anyway?

The SansAmp's a good one, btw..

My last show my head mysteriously turned off and wouldn’t turn back on. So the sound guy plugged me in through a direct box and several people told me it sounded way better that way. Of course I have no way of knowing on stage, but it did sound better through the monitors. My head did work at our next practice.

I was going to start a thread about this, but I’ll just ask it here. What are the pros and cons of going direct? Should I use a direct box all the time? What do you think?
      https://www.facebook.com/warren.hammonds.58
      http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1001063

Comment

• jhale667
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

My last show my head mysteriously turned off and wouldn’t turn back on. So the sound guy plugged me in through a direct box and several people told me it sounded way better that way. Of course I have no way of knowing on stage, but it did sound better through the monitors. My head did work at our next practice.

I was going to start a thread about this, but I’ll just ask it here. What are the pros and cons of going direct? Should I use a direct box all the time? What do you think?
        Most pro bass players and soundmen I've encountered use a combination of the amp and a direct signal for larger venues; I'm even talking bigger clubs...IMO (and experience) if you're going to be using a PA and not just the amps for room volume w/the vocals...for the bass a mix of both is preferable...(plus you're usually guaranteed a halfway decent sound regardless of the amp you're using).

If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• GO-SPURS-GO
          Sniper
          • Feb 2007

Most pro bass players and soundmen I've encountered use a combination of the amp and a direct signal for larger venues; I'm even talking bigger clubs...IMO (and experience) if you're going to be using a PA and not just the amps for room volume w/the vocals...for the bass a mix of both is preferable...(plus you're usually guaranteed a halfway decent sound regardless of the amp you're using).

Hmm.. forgive me for not being educated on this, but I didn’t know you can have both? I thought if you went direct you didn’t get a signal from the amp, just from the direct box?

Comment

• indeedido
            Veteran
            • Feb 2004

I honestly did not anticipate Donny Osmond making an appearance in the Kazoo Sandman video.
            This space for rent.

Comment

• jhale667
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Hmm.. forgive me for not being educated on this, but I didn’t know you can have both? I thought if you went direct you didn’t get a signal from the amp, just from the direct box?
              Most good ones split the signal so you can go to the amp AND the board..

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• GAR
                Banned
                • Jan 2004

Hmm.. forgive me for not being educated on this, but I didn’t know you can have both?
                There's a direct-output from most amps, also called line out sometimes.. then there's the boxes that can insert between signal chain and amp input that solely tap off a line output to drive other inputs like a board, effect or even other amps.

Comment

• jhale667
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                  Careful, Igo...it was bad enough when rappers were wiping each other out due to an East/West coast feud. The world isn't quite ready for one between New York/Cali street bum musicians.
                  Yeah, I do see your point Craig, and then I thought - but how are East/West Coast street musician bums going to "bust caps in each other's asses", via FedEx?

GSG, in my experience, more sound guys seem to want the pure signal before it gets colored by the amp, though you could use a direct/line out on an amp too.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• GO-SPURS-GO
                    Sniper
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GAR
                    There's a direct-output from most amps, also called line out sometimes.
                    I just checked my owner’s manual and there’s no “line out” on the back of my amp. I was hoping that I had one so I didn’t have to spend $189 on a new SansAmp.

GSG, in my experience, more sound guys seem to want the pure signal before it gets colored by the amp, though you could use a direct/line out on an amp too.
                    When my head turned off that night the sound guy told me he prefers to go direct so he can be in control, and he has a great reputation around here. He told me that most people turn their knobs all the way to 10 and they wonder why they have a shitty tone. Well, I’m not that bad, but I’ll admit that I know very little about how to get the most out of my head. Hell, I can switch my frequency knob back and forth and I can’t tell the difference at all! :0

Most good ones split the signal so you can go to the amp AND the board..
                    We played on Saturday and I went direct for the first time and it sounded pretty damn good. Doing both like you’re suggesting sounds like a plan. I’ll ask to do that next time and we’ll see how it goes. Thanks!

Comment

• Hardrock69
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by GAR
                      There's a direct-output from most amps, also called line out sometimes..
                      Really? Wow, that is some really complex information.....you must have struggled to search for days to find that on Google....

Originally posted by GAR
                      then there's the boxes that can insert between signal chain and amp input that solely tap off a line output to drive other inputs like a board, effect or even other amps.

Oh? And what might that be called, oh Minister Of Inferior Intellect?

Comment

• jhale667
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

OK, since I scored a bunch of A8 magnets cheap the hunt is on for Trembucker Duncan Custom variant...any one, really - can be regular flavor, Custom Custom, Custom 5 it just has to be zebra to match the paint job on the Charvel rebuild.

Wants. Whatever flavor I end up with is becoming a Custom 8...
                        Last edited by jhale667; 06-19-2010, 04:52 PM.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• jhale667
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Holy crap that Ebay dude ships fast - true he was only in AZ (was I supposed to ask to see his papers? lol) but I got an email Thursday saying "Shipping info received" figured Monday, Tuesday maybe...opened the mailbox today and there they were...a nice stack of 12 shiny A8s....didn't think I was going to get to doing a swap before I bailed for vacation, but may be able to work one in next weekend...

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• GAR
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2004

To take a vacation, one first requires a VOCATION to vacate from...

And how long are these magnets - will they be long enough to contact trem-width humbucker coil pieces?
                            How strong are these magnets? Don't have a gaussmeter do you. YOU have no idea what you bought?

"Oh don't worry 'bout that, Gar that doesn't matter. They are magnetized." They will work, but at what capacity you have no idea.

Comment

• jhale667
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

And what? Think before you troll...

Originally posted by GAR
                              To take a vacation, one first requires a VOCATION to vacate from...
                              Said the troll posting from the internet cafe because the library's closed.

Uh, the idea is to find out "at what capacity" they work, dumbass! Ideally in a Custom wind it'll tighten up the bass - vs. the A2 in a CC, and tame the highs vs a Ceramic. As for gaussmeters and polarity testers and all the other fun stuff I'll need to get into magnet swapping (and eventually hybrid pickup making), the Stew Mac order and Radio Shack visit are on the schedule, the magnet deal (from a supplier a lot of the Duncan freaks buy from and install w/o issue, btw) just dropped into my lap sooner than expected. Compared to other humbucker magnets (and Trembuckers) I have folating around? Yeah, they'll fit.

And FFS, GARfail what's the worst thing that could happen, I don't like it, forcing me to put the old magnet back in the pickup, restoring it to its original configuration? Duh...

Actually this vacation (once again) involves my vocation - something you wish you could say...
                              It also involves a gig for a diabetes charity. Y'know, a gig, playing guitar...something you also admittedly don't do. So STFU.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• GAR
                                Banned
                                • Jan 2004

Worst case is: Jay eats the magnets then watches as all the kitchen drawer utensils come flying at his engrossed belly, 'toon-style.

Comment

Working...