Cheap-Ass Piece Of Shit Klusen Tuning Machine Heads....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

Cheap-Ass Piece Of Shit Klusen Tuning Machine Heads....

Changing strings on my Flying V last night. Came with those sorry Klusens with the suck-looking 'perloid' keys. I dig the shape of them, sort of 'bat-wing' in a way, but hate the plastic to begin with, and I feel they look like shit.

So anyway, had all the strings changed except the low E....was winding it up, and suddenly the tension in the string went completely slack.

WTF?

So I turned the thing over, and the fucking back had come off the machine head cover (that covers the gears on the back of the headstock). Took the entire thing off, and looked at it. Could not see how the hell they kept the back on the tuning machine assembly, other than 'pressing it on'.

So went online shopping today. Looked at Grovers, Shallers, etc.

Finally decided on "Gibson Modern Nickel Machine Heads With Metal Buttons" (description on Guitar Center website).

They want $69.99 for a set. Went to Guitar Center. Of course they do not carry them at the store.

While I was there, I noticed a mahogany-finish 1975 Gibson Flying V in the vintage room. Actually said "Vintage 1975 Gibson Flying V" on the tag. They wanted $4,750 for it. Made me mad I still do not have my 1975 Gibson Flying V. And, definitions be damned, to me 'vintage' guitars are those before 1970. Seems really stupid to see tags on guitars that read 'vintage 1980 Stratocaster'.

But I digress.

So on the way home I decided to stop at Rock Block guitars in Gnashville.

Seems they may have changed owners recently, as their guitar selection is pretty crummy compared to what it used to be, but, they have an incredible inventory of replacement parts and pickups of all kinds, as well as the most extreme inventory of stomp boxes I have ever seen, with tons of stomp boxes by companies nobody ever heard of. And also an amazing selection of T-shirts, with lotsa blues and jazz artists on them, sometimes rare stuff like Wes Montgomery, Charlie Parker, Gene Krupa, etc. that you never see anywhere except on the net, or in shops along Beale Street in Memphis.

Anyway, I checked out all their inventory of tuning machine heads....found the exact same thing I was looking for (by All Parts) for 35 bucks. And, unlike the giant RETAILers, Rock Block seem to always have great prices. I got some EMGs for my Fender Jazz Bass there a few years back, and I paid much less than I would have at GC or Sam Ash.

I put those replacements on tonight, and I am back to rocking out. No real difference in tone, seems to be a bit more sustain, but that could just be due to the new strings.

The only complaint I have is that the design specs do not allow for the screw mounting holes on the machine head itself to align perfectly with the holes from the original Klusen. But, it was close enough that they worked out, and I am once again, a happy camper.

I have noticed that the Epiphone line all have these newer-type tuners, some with rounded Grover-type keys on them, others (like my Korina V & Explorer) have the bat-wing keys on them.

Those old Klusens suck fucking ass.

Gotta love the small guitar shops owned by individuals, not idiot corporate fuckheads who know nothing about music.

Thus endeth the story-tale of guitar repair.

Shut up Garfuckle.
    Last edited by Hardrock69; 05-23-2010, 12:45 AM.
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

I love shops like that and I would rather give my business to Main Street than a Wall Street owned big box. The money stays in your community instead of leaving town. Plus, shopping is so boring when all the stores are all the same. I like diversity and you don't get that on the corporate model, you get it from local people doing their things and it's interesting as hell. Fuck marketing departments and focus groups.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

I have the same Klusons on my G400. Nothing has fallen off yet but the cheap gold plating is going. They even sucked in the 1950's from what I hear. You see old Gibson where the plastic has actually chemically broken down and is crumbling away.

Comment

• jhale667
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Another great resource for hardware is StewMac.com...

Originally posted by conmee
        If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
        Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
        I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
        Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
        Originally posted by eddie78
        I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• indeedido
          Veteran
          • Feb 2004

I love Stew Mac. I get most all my parts from them. For me, Schallers have always held the best tuning for me. Grovers seem to slip for me.
          This space for rent.

Comment

• jhale667
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

I get a lot of my parts from them too..I've had good luck with Gotohs...

Originally posted by conmee
            If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
            Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
            I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
            Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
            Originally posted by eddie78
            I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Reverberator
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Aug 2004

Never had a problem with the Grovers on my custom ....consider them.
              Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale
              the chazzers are so lucky
              so fortunate to be served by the dump messiah
              http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...TheDMCross.jpg

Comment

• Coyote
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

I got these on my build...

Detailed Product Information on Harley Benton E-Guitar Machine Head ST-St.LH at www.thomann.de

Seem like Schaller-knockoffs. Sturdy feel to them, though...
                Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• Igosplut
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69

Gotta love the small guitar shops owned by individuals, not idiot corporate fuckheads who know nothing about music.
                  I see it was Elliston Pharmacy in a former life..

Originally posted by Everybody on the board
                  [Shut up Garfuckle.
                  Because , well you know....
                  Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• Hardrock69
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Feb 2005

New tunies! Woot!

Comment

• Hardrock69
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Igosplut
                      I see it was Elliston Pharmacy in a former life..
                      Hey, drugs and rock and roll!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by indeedido
                        I love Stew Mac. I get most all my parts from them. For me, Schallers have always held the best tuning for me. Grovers seem to slip for me.
                        I've done business with them for years. They sell quality goods and know what they are talking about if you have any technical questions.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • May 2004

I've got stock vintage style Kluson's on my LP Classic. I play and torture those strings and the bastards stay in tune. They're the first set of Kluson's I've had on a guitar, and I was sure I would have to replace them for sealed gear ones. But so far so good. First sign of failing and they're gone...
                          Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Hardrock69
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Feb 2005

Mine never had a problem, always stayed in tune. Just that there was no real way to put the back back on the one tuner, except maybe with superglue, but I was not interested in going that route. So what the hell. The back will not fall off of these, that is for sure.

Comment

Working...