Time to play "Let's hunt and kill" the guy who STOLE TONY IOMMI'S GUITAR!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by jhale667
    Sorry, disagree - while they may not have soundholes, and some solidbodies DO have acoustic chambers, btw - their inherent acoustic qualities are amplified, which is why no two sound exactly alike, and because they are also wooden (in the majority of cases) instruments, their tone does improve with age. So they are similar in that respect. As they say, it takes a guitar 5 years to figure out it's not a TREE anymore...
    You know more about it than me but I think maybe the pickups or the amp or effects or the EQ in the desk or the room itself are maybe more important than the wood.

There are so many variables I don't really understand investing so much in just one apart from heart ruling the mind.

Comment

• jhale667
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
      You know more about it than me but I think maybe the pickups or the amp or effects or the EQ in the desk or the room itself are maybe more important than the wood.

There are so many variables I don't really understand investing so much in just one apart from heart ruling the mind.

Yeah, you have to be pragmatic about it past a certain point, agree. Sentimentality and a comfort level with a familiar instrument can inspire better performances, though.

But the wood itself is the foundation of whatever the pickup transmits that then goes on to be amplified, processed, whatever...and there are cases where you can't polish a turd (cough, plywood, cough).

I still think the guy that stole it should have his sack crushed with a hammer...
      Originally posted by conmee
      If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
      Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
      I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
      Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
      Originally posted by eddie78
      I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2004

I still think the guy that stole it should have his sack crushed with a hammer...

Agreed!!!
        Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by jhale667
          Absolutely.

Comment

• GAR
            Banned
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
            I think maybe the pickups or the amp or effects or the EQ in the desk or the room itself are maybe more important than the wood.
            They are, but as a rule you can't help the guitar string sustain itself in the mix, that happens on the wood. The denser it is, the longer it will sustain.

EVH for example does not like string sustain, so he prefers basswood or alder - they're softer woods but they resonate acoustically and he's demonstrated in interviews how he practiced without an amp because he could hear it without one.

The reason he likes maple fingerboards when rosewood looks better (which is about the hardest wood used for guitar) is for the feel when he frets the neck. Maple resonates poorly, but since it's really hard and dense it transfers string vibration very poorly allowing the energy in the string motion to dissipate very slowly = sustain.

Comment

Working...