Upgrades & Modifications: How have you "personalized" your guitars?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • twonabomber
    formerly F A T
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

musta been Bob Sperzel. columnist in the local paper did an article back in March, says Bob's 85.

"What do you think happened to the blacksmiths after everyone started driving cars?" Bob Sperzel asked Wednesday morning. I had called Sperzel to talk about guitars. He makes a highly-regarded tuning device for the instrument. But when an 85-year-old man...
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Coyote
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Jan 2004

Pre-build, minor things mainly...

Pickup/electronics/tuner swapping, accidental dents and scratches...

And of course, stuffing tissue-paper under the trem springs, just so they won't ring or squeal when I'm playing loud.
      Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
      It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• jhale667
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Coyote
        Pre-build, minor things mainly...

Pickup/electronics/tuner swapping, accidental dents and scratches...

And of course, stuffing tissue-paper under the trem springs, just so they won't ring or squeal when I'm playing loud.
        You tricked your last one out almost as hard as one of mine...made me proud.
        Originally posted by conmee
        If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
        Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
        I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
        Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
        Originally posted by eddie78
        I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Coyote
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

I'll admit to taking some cues from ya, J.
          Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Comment

• jhale667
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

I'll admit to taking some cues from ya, J.
            I'm honored!
            If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• GAR
              Banned
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
              musta been Bob Sperzel. columnist in the local paper did an article back in March, says Bob's 85.

http://www.cleveland.com/morris/inde..._and_fine.html
              THATS him! I love that guy - he's the best. You're WAY lucky, if you haven't stopped by and met him you better do it. I wish I could spend more time with him.. he's the kinda guy like Les Paul they say has the effect of "transformative effect" on people. You got to go meet him Twona.

Comment

• jhale667
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Here's another question: Anyone raise or lower the screws on the screw-coil of a humbucking pickup to emphasize/de-emphasize specific strings, like say, boost the bass strings a bit?

First time I tried it as a kid did it to match the stagger on a single-coil I liked, with less than stellar results...ended up putting it back to normal...

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2004

Originally posted by GAR
                  THATS him! I love that guy - he's the best. You're WAY lucky, if you haven't stopped by and met him you better do it. I wish I could spend more time with him..
                  Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • May 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
                    Here's another question: Anyone raise or lower the screws on the screw-coil of a humbucking pickup to emphasize/de-emphasize specific strings, like say, boost the bass strings a bit?

First time I tried it as a kid did it to match the stagger on a single-coil I liked, with less than stellar results...ended up putting it back to normal...
                    Tried it eons ago, same thing. Put them back to the original height...
                    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Coyote
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jhale667

Yep, did that on a Gibson 500T the first time. I took my time and got a decently balanced sound out of it...
                      Did the same thing on the Duncan Custom in my build, and I'm satisfied.

Albeit, I'm constantly messing around with the pickup height, in order to get a balanced volume between the bridge and neck p'up...

Comment

• VanHalenFan5150
                        Sniper
                        • Oct 2009

I've always tooled around with pickup height, but either way I still feel the end result sounds the same
                        Reading Crazy From the Heat in four hours flat, in a cramped RV, on the return trip of a 3,000+ mile family outing to New Jersey is an enlightening experience you'll never forget.

Comment

• jhale667
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Yep, did that on a Gibson 500T the first time. I took my time and got a decently balanced sound out of it...
                          Did the same thing on the Duncan Custom in my build, and I'm satisfied.

Albeit, I'm constantly messing around with the pickup height, in order to get a balanced volume between the bridge and neck p'up...

Yeah, IMO I find tweaking the overall pickup height to be far more effective...at some point you find the elusive "sweet spot".

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• chefcraig
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Apr 2004

Probably the goofiest thing I've ever done aside from sometime in 1981 or so rewiring my Strat's pick ups or replacing one with a Dimarzio Super Distortion one (a total disaster. The pick up had this annoying Tom Scholtz fake-Rockman sound that made you feel like you were living inside of an early Motley Crue album or parked under a bridge trying to listen to a baseball game on an AM radio. I yanked it, put back the original and threw the piece of crap in a drawer somewhere...) was to JB Weld a gear shift knob on the end of my tremolo bar and unscrewed it until it was barely in, then dousing the nut with 3 In 1 oil so I could do dive bombs. This worked OK until I over enthusiastically yanked on the thing so hard that it snapped off at the base.

This led to an unexpected modification. Not wanting to shell out for a new bridge, I unscrewed the bolts holding the neck to the body, removed the neck then cut a little rectangle out of an old inner tube. I placed this between the neck and the body, then tightened the screws not quite all the way. Now, the entire neck could be used as a tremolo system. The thing is, I got bored with this after a while, and wound up tightening the screws and just worked harder on my finger vibrato. Of course, this was a long way to go simply to improve my over all playing, but we are all young once and therefor all need to learn shit the hard way.
                            Last edited by chefcraig; 09-14-2010, 08:54 PM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• jhale667
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Dude you may have made the original "guitar buddy whammy neck"! Dokken owes you money ....lol

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• indeedido
                                Veteran
                                • Feb 2004

On just about any guitar I buy, first thing I do is gut the electronics. Quality pickups (SD/Dimarzio), quality pots and braided wire where needed, quality pickup switch ( a lot of junk out there) and always change out the tuners for Schallers. For me, I find the Schallers keep a better tuning than Grover. The reason I learned to solder was so that I could change out the pickups any time I wanted to try as many as I could. I recently changed out the bridge and tailpiece on my Les Paul for the Tone Pros locking set. I had some left over Ebay bucks from some purchases so they were essentially free. I have to say, it did increase the tone in that it has more bottom end and resonance plus sustain. I was skeptical, but very pleasantly surprised. Also, like Jay I am a proponent of the big block for the floyd rose. Put one in my Frankenstrat and noticed the difference. I also like the feel of a raw neck so I have no problem sanding the back down and applying some Tung Oil to it. I like the feel of it and have never had one warp on me. I also have a Tremol No for my strat, but I haven't put it on yet. Looking forward to it though. You can lock it so it doesn't float or make it so you can pull up only or down only. Remains to be seen if it adds sustain in the locked position.
                                Last edited by indeedido; 09-15-2010, 06:46 PM.
                                This space for rent.

Comment

Working...