X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chefcraig
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    One of the few good lines Dennis Leary had that he didn't steal off Bill Hicks was 'I gave up smoking dope because I got sick of having to build things'.
    We truly are living in hell while on Earth. How else to explain why imbeciles possessing not even a thimble full of the talent of a guy like Hicks (and have resorted to ripping off his entire act lock, stock and barrel) have managed to survive and in some cases flourish, while the man himself rots in the dirt and if not totally forgotten, is rarely even mentioned?

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Well Hicks is worshipped in comedian circles and had a movie of his life made last year but yeah he died ridiculously young.

Considering how angry he got about the first Gulf War though, I have to think if he hadn't went when he did he would have dropped dead with a stroke about the second.

Comment

• GAR
        Banned
        • Jan 2004

Hicks would have chosen Apogee ONE over Presonus, for simplicity's sake.

If you need more inputs than L and R, get an old Tascam board like an M-series with 8 or more channels, you'll have onboard-everything (eq, buss, VU, subs etc) for recording live, for around $75 bucks. Plus, the M-series had warm EQ's with phantom power built-in for mics. Sometimes, you need that. I never did with my $4 dollar Radio Shack cardiod mics.. but I dig grass.

Zappa mounted his boards on the wall, basically set levels and left it alone out of the way. That's how I'd do it.

Get a separate board, get a ONE unit, or the stereo Apogee unit the One is based on alone.

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I'm looking at maybe getting one of these Yamaha things.

A bit expensive though.

Philocast HD: Yamaha 01x Review from Jason Burns on Vimeo.

Comment

• GAR
            Banned
            • Jan 2004

One thing I've experienced with both Yamaha's system, and Roland's (edirol I think it was) is initially they boast alot of features, they've worked alot of proprietary standards they think everyone will be so amazed that the industry will turn on a dime to follow, but then that's as far as it gets.

Like Roland's GS-extended midi set spec came out with their Rap-10 4-chan soundcard sounded phenomenal, but no other mfrs wanted to sign on because they'd then have to sign on with Roland to license an expanded library and buy the chips with the stored-set in 'em. That spec died.

I have a hard time with Yamaha-anything.. if you're going to spend alot of time from friends and family locked away studying recording formats that won't be around in 5 years kinda defeats the purpose.

This is why I'd prefer to spend a little more on a top-rated / industry standard than get locked into tracks that I can't export to future interfaces.

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I'm fed up fucking around trying to get things to work rather than actually playing.

I like the idea that the Yamaha stuff is integrated with the software, if it's proprietary that makes no difference to me as long as I can get a WAV or MP3 mix out of it at the end.

When we go into a proper studio we will rerecord the drum tracks with an acoustic kit so everything else will need to be redone anyway.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2004

Originally posted by GAR
                Zappa mounted his boards on the wall, basically set levels and left it alone out of the way.
                That's funny, right there.

Do you stay up all night dreaming this shit up?

Post a link, Bitch!
                Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Etienne
                  Commando
                  • Aug 2010

Would it be a good idea to see a Presonus Digimax FS (8 Mic-Pres) as an Expansion to a Digidesign 003? Is it possible via Adat-Optical-Link? 96kHz?

Comment

• GAR
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Diamondjimi
                    That's funny, right there.

Do you stay up all night dreaming this shit up?

Post a link, Bitch!
                    Go find it yourself, Googleboy.

Comment

• GAR
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Etienne
                      Would it be a good idea to see a Presonus Digimax FS (8 Mic-Pres) as an Expansion to a Digidesign 003? Is it possible via Adat-Optical-Link? 96kHz?
                      Presonus makes good units but do you need 8 real-time inputs?

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • May 2004

Originally posted by Etienne
                        Absolutely. The more inputs the better. As for linking, Lightpipe would be optimal if the 003 also has this option...

Comment

• jhale667
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Diamondjimi
                          Absolutely. The more inputs the better. As for linking, Lightpipe would be optimal if the 003 also has this option...

http://www3.digidesign.com/index.cfm...028&langid=100
                          Originally posted by conmee
                          If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                          Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                          I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                          Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                          Originally posted by eddie78
                          I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• GAR
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2004

$1200 msrp? Exsqueeze me for being a cheap Scot but what would this do any differently than a 2-input dacbox 1000 bux less if used with an old Tascam mixer?

I mean, you do realize each additional input on that thing is doing computational wav processing right.. and if you only ever use 1 or 2 channels at a time songwriting, riffing or making demos I don't see the need - and I'm the guy that's built a few studios so pardon my ignorance if this is some Amazing Wonderbox that does something revolutionary I hadn't been aware of.

I dont' claim to know everything out there now, been out of the loop about 5 years now in tech stuff, but our last studio did have several 888's - which that appears to be a mere update of - and was also 8 input realtime dac's..

Comment

• Etienne
                              Commando
                              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by GAR
                              Presonus makes good units but do you need 8 real-time inputs?
                              Drums: 6 or more Mic-Pres http://homerecording.about.com/od/re...rdingdrums.htm
                              Drums: 4 Mic-Pres (Glyn Johns Method) http://homerecording.about.com/od/re...glyn_johns.htm

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • May 2004

Originally posted by GAR
                                $1200 msrp? Exsqueeze me for being a cheap Scot but what would this do any differently than a 2-input dacbox 1000 bux less if used with an old Tascam mixer?

I mean, you do realize each additional input on that thing is doing computational wav processing right.. and if you only ever use 1 or 2 channels at a time songwriting, riffing or making demos I don't see the need - and I'm the guy that's built a few studios so pardon my ignorance if this is some Amazing Wonderbox that does something revolutionary I hadn't been aware of.

I dont' claim to know everything out there now, been out of the loop about 5 years now in tech stuff, but our last studio did have several 888's - which that appears to be a mere update of - and was also 8 input realtime dac's..
                                Shut the fuck up, Stupid!

Sweeping up drywall dust and fetching coffee's (via temp service ) does not make you a studio builder...

You need to realize, Mensa, that most people don't record their demos into their cell phone like yourself. So stop talkin shit about you "building" studios and yapping on about 2 inputs is ALL one needs for a home studio....

True you can get away with two, but any more tan 2 mics are needed for a session... you're fucked.

It's all about the options...
                                Last edited by Diamondjimi; 10-29-2010, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Working...