• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jhale667
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

The Randy Rhoads Legacy

According to his siblings, Kathy and Kelly

It's too long to repost the whole thing here, but there's a two-part article that popped up on Gibson.com, Pt II that's pretty cool, and has some (new-ish) VH content. Of particular interest is Kelly's assertion as to the rumored EVH/Rhoads "competition" - there was none. There was only mutual respect. Also confirmed is something I've always heard from those in the know, they both looked up to George Lynch.

The Gibson Interview: The Randy Rhoads Family
    by Michael Wright

On March 19, 1982, a horrible tragedy struck the rock world. Randy Rhoads, the trail- (and fret!) blazing guitarist for Ozzy Osbourne, died in an airplane crash in Leesburg, Florida. For the music world, it was the loss of a unique and virtuosic talent. For the Rhoads family in North Hollywood, California, the loss was much more personal. Randy was the baby of the family: beloved son to his mother Delores (serenaded as “Dee” on the Blizzard of Ozz album) and kid brother to elder brother Kelly and sister Kathy.

The Rhoads family were — and are — a tight-knit bunch. For the past 28 years, even as they have thrived with the family music school, Kelly’s own musical pursuits and Kathy’s successful vineyard, they have always dedicated time, attention and love to Randy’s legacy. With Gibson paying tribute to Randy Rhoads this week with the release of the Randy Rhoads Les Paul Custom, Gibson.com sat down with Kelly and Kathy to talk about Randy’s life and that ever-growing legacy.

What was the age separation between the three of you?

Kelly: I am the eldest and Kathy is the middle child and Randy was the baby.

What was your household like growing up? I presume it was very musical.

Both: Yes, it was.

Kathy: We had no stereo, believe it or not.

Kelly: We didn’t have a record player because my mom wouldn’t buy us one.

Kathy: Everybody played their own music around our house.

Kelly: We had to do our own; we were our own record player.

You can read the rest of the background stuff there, but here's one cool VH (and Lynch)-relevant bit, picked up right around the VH/Quiet Riot pre-signing mid-70s club era:

Were they a pretty good band right from the start, or did it take a little bit of work to sort of move it into place? Or was it like lightning in a bottle right away?

Kelly: Certainly not that. They got better. It’s just that that was a power pop band. Even when they got management, they got molded into form. What the management wanted was to create another Sweet. They wanted another band like The Sweet, and Randy and Kelly, especially when Randy and I played together, we were into hard, heavy rock like Sabbath type of stuff. Ironically, Randy didn’t like Black Sabbath at all. I was the Sabbath fan. In fact, that was the first question I asked him after his first audition. "Did you see those letters on his hand that say ‘OZZY’?" And Randy goes, "Yeah!" I said, "Did you crack up?" And Randy goes, "Yeah!" He didn’t like Sabbath, but I did.

Was he doing stuff – like with finger-tapping – before Van Halen came out?

Kelly: Yeah.

Was it a little disappointing for him to have someone else kind of...

Kelly: No. And that’s something I’m glad you brought up. A lot of people try to invent this competition. Randy thought Eddie was a good player. He thought he was really good, and he liked him. He wasn’t like in any kind of competition or contest with him at all.

Kathy: He always thought Eddie had his own style, and Randy thought he had his own style, and he didn’t think it was fair to compare them because he thought they were different and unique within themselves.

Kelly: If you asked Randy back then who the hot guitar player in L.A. was, he wouldn’t have said himself or Eddie. He would have said George Lynch. Randy really looked up to him. He thought he had a tremendous amount of talent.

George Lynch is a heck of a player. Yeah, that’s true – I had forgotten he was part of that scene as well.

Kelly: Randy really liked him, and if you asked Randy what guitar player in this town is really hot, the first thing he would say was George Lynch. When he left to go play with Ozzy, George Lynch took over his students at Musonia.

If anything can be said of Rhoads' legacy, it is that even today he is held in nearly if-not equal reverence as Edward Van Halen among guitarists despite a fraction of the recorded output, and that ain't a bad thing.

Last edited by jhale667; 11-13-2010, 01:30 AM.
    Originally posted by conmee
    If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
    Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
    I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
    Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
    Originally posted by eddie78
    I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.
  • GAR
    Banned
    • Jan 2004

Gibson's like 30 years late coming to the guitar party here in Los Angeles.. and now they're promoting another companies' endorsees?

Comment

• ELVIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2003

I suppose this is news to someone...

Comment

• jhale667
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
        I suppose this is news to someone...
        Was there supposed to be a "discuss (preferably someone/thing other than GAyR)"blurb literally stated at the bottom of the post, or wasn't it just implied anyway...

I mean, I guess that almost counts, but c'mon!
        If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Jan 2004

Why did Randy bone Sharon?

he needed the money

OH !

Comment

• jhale667
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

See, Thrills of a few things we can be certain. Rhoads ruled, and there will always be guitars, and music, and comedy. Rhoads ruling isn't particularly funny, just a great achievement which shows not always at the same time.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• GAR
              Banned
              • Jan 2004

At some point, you just realize with Rhoads there's just tragedy everywhere you look, I gave up the Randy banner back in '86, and got reimmersed a short time again about a year later when the Live album came out.

It's tragic: that the Osbournes weren't on that plane.
              It's tragic: to see Sharon concede she forced him to a screw.
              It's tragic: reading what Sarzo said about how they abused Randy.
              It's tragic: a guy spends half a lifetime developing and expanding an original style only to never have benefited of it.
              It's tragic: to see a 16-year-old play riffs to Over The Mountain and say "isn't Zakk's style is awesome?"
              It's tragic: to hear Delores lives in the same house all these years, where's all the millions in royalties?

It's just hard to stomach all this. Wasn't someone gonna set the ugly record straight in a full-scale movie?

It's so upsetting, nobody really wants to talk about it when Randys' work deserves a little fair admiration aside from the surrounding issues even in this late date.

Comment

• jhale667
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Everywhere you look, I guess so. Especially if the 16-year old you're referring to is Gus G? (Oh, snap!) Peter Margolis' film may or may not ever see the light of day. Might or might it not be a tragedy if it did, supposedly that's the issue of contention since last I heard IIRC the music was licensed, the O.G. tracks not the new rhythm-section abortion remixes? Who knows?

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• GAR
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2004

Randy won't be forgotten, but the whole deal's a sad affair and for Gibson to try dipping their appendage in the RR legacy like this 30 years later, they can fuck off.

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Not to mention the fact that Randy's Quiet Riot material remains unavailable (aside from that one disc mutation that DuBrow put out, which was only slightly less blasphemous than Sharon's butchery of Blizzard and Diary. At least THAT evil deed was finally undone.)

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• jhale667
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                      Not to mention the fact that Randy's Quiet Riot material remains unavailable (aside from that one disc mutation that DuBrow put out, which was only slightly less blasphemous than Sharon's butchery of Blizzard and Diary. At least THAT evil deed was finally undone.)

Hmm... while there are certain levels of blasphemy it's true, I don't consider merely re-amping the original guitar tracks (via Carlos' favorite nearly-correct to Rhoads' Ozzy-era Marshalls apparently with his guitar-sound input - as opposed to just KD's , while keeping the original Rhoads guitar and band tracks) and re-doing some vocals on the same level as what Sharon did. But tend to agree in both cases they might not have bothered, since at least in the Ozzy case NO ONE was really ever interested in hearing it.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• GAR
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2004

With media consolidation shrinkng all the time, and all radio programming basically done in NYC you'd have to have been under a rock the last 5 years to not have heard enough Ozzy to not hold any interest in hearing any more for decades.

Driving across country it's almost like the same contiguous radio station pulsing the same playlist, nearly everyday in your car. I could do well with not having to hear any more Ozzy for the rest of my life.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • May 2004

We could do well without ever seeing you on these boards. ever again!
                          Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• jhale667
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Live Solo video from a Quiet Riot show at the Starwood in 1979...

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Apr 2005

When the hell are the reissue's and dvd collection they were talking about coming out ??

Comment

Working...