How To Give Drums On Old Demos Some Definition When They Are Muddy Sacks Of Shit...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

Man, there never will be ANYONE on the planet like Moon. Talk about LARGER THAN LIFE!!!!

He never played the drums. HE FUCKING ATTACKED THEM AND BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF THEM!!!!

Hey, that is another thing I have noticed that bugs the crap out of me. I have checked out many collections of drum samples over the past 7 or 8 years, and some of them even boast that they are LOUD drums or whatever. But when I check out the snare samples, it sounds like a fucking little girl tapping on the thing.

I am one of those guys who likes the pistol shot snare. No, I do not want a 'ring', like fuckwad did on Metallica's St. Anger. I like a dry CRACK! that sounds like someone is angry and is whacking the snare! All too often I have checked out some snare samples, hoping to find a killer sample I would love to use, only to come to the conclusion that the drummer who was sampled was a limp-wristed pussy motherfucker.

Another thing I admire is drummers who have a background in jazz. For instance, I saw Mr. Big in the mid-90s in a 2,000-seat ballroom. Afterwards my friends and I hung out with them for awhile, and I told Pat Torpey "You like drummers like Buddy Rich and Max Roach, don't you?" And he said "YEAH!" And I said "I could tell just by watching you play. You base your style around the snare, and as a result, all your rack and cymbal work and your kicks are all just icing on the cake!". He was kinda surprised at that, and said nobody had ever told him that before.

A drummer who has got some kind of jazz background and incorporates it into his style could sit there with nothing but a snare drum and do a 20-minute solo on it and not get boring.

Ian Paice is like that. I saw him in a club playing in Gary Moore's band in Dallas, Texas in 1983. Man, the chance to see him play up close in an intimate setting like that was fucking awesome!

Back in the late 40s and early 50s there were a series of albums released that were billed as "Drum Battles". It was like "Buddy Rich vs. Gene Krupa", and "Max Roach vs. Buddy Rich" and shit like that. Those motherfuckers were the baddest of the bad.

Lastly, these days you have all these idiots that think that speed-metal drummers are the fastest drummers on the planet. Nothing could be further from the truth. I have heard some shit by Cab Calloway's swing band from the early 30s where those motherfuckers would make all other drummers look like they were playing on Quualudes. Swing drummers may not be playing a 4-on-the-floor 78-RPM deal or even 1 and 1 and 1 and 1. These motherfuckers are like 1/32 and 1/32 and 1/32 and 1/32 and 1/32......even though they are not hitting their snare that fast, the speed they are going is fucking as fast as any Slayer tune. Musta been all that old Devil Weed and some Cocaine, lol.

Comment

• jhale667
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
      To me, that is the key to the entire recording process. Look, drummers are merely human, so they'll make mistakes, slow down or (more likely) speed up during a song. As a result, if you are playing along to that, be it in a live situation or overdubbing, the music has no other choice but to breathe. Conversely, music set to a perfect, metronomic beat more often than not sounds like it, coming off as purely robotic. Now that's just fucking wonderful if you happen to play in Devo, Kraftwerk or some contrived top 40 radio/club band, but sounds fairly stilted and awkward if you want to sound like the Faces or the Black Crows.

This belief probably goes a long way toward explaining why my stuff sounds by and large old school, closer to a garage band from the sixties than some shiny, synchronized and ultimately soul-free "product" made today. Fuck it, at least I can sleep at night.
      Agree, and even though at this point I'm layering all the guitar parts to a click, I do NOT under any circumstances want the drummer to come in and "robot" to it; it's a frame of reference, y'know?
      Originally posted by conmee
      If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
      Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
      I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
      Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
      Originally posted by eddie78
      I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• kwame k
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by jhale667
        Agree, and even though at this point I'm layering all the guitar parts to a click, I do NOT under any circumstances want the drummer to come in and "robot" to it; it's a frame of reference, y'know?
        It's a guide, a suggestion and not an absolute!

Why is that so hard to understand for some people.
        Originally posted by vandeleur
        E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• jhale667
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by kwame k
          It's a guide, a suggestion and not an absolute!

Why is that so hard to understand for some people.
          Dunno...and it's not like someone working the way I do is going to put down multiple rhythm tracks tapping my foot to keep time and expect them to sync...

I'll see if I can clean up an some MP3s of a tune or two I did on the ADAT in '02 or so in Pro Tools and post an example of a (gainfully employed professional...lol) drummer playing to a click and still sounding loose IMO....

Edit...

Okay, here ya go....admittedly spent less than an hour cleaning this up, but you get the idea...

Last edited by jhale667; 02-05-2011, 04:35 AM. Reason: MP3 post link...
          Originally posted by conmee
          If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
          Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
          I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
          Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
          Originally posted by eddie78
          I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

Working...