The Roth Army All Star Band Jams thread..

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blaze
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

In the mean time I got a paypal scam letter asking me for an update. It is soooooo good.
    it was listed as -> e.paypal.com
    It might be ligit, nonetheless, because it asked me to confirm I am sending a copy to paypall security for their review.
    "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
    sigpic

Comment

• Blaze
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Ummm. I do not see this file getting past whatever it is that blocks me.
      "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
      sigpic

Comment

• Hardrock69
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Blaze
        In the mean time I got a paypal scam letter asking me for an update. It is soooooo good.
        It might be ligit, nonetheless, because it asked me to confirm I am sending a copy to paypall security for their review.

LOL! I see those all the time. Fucking Nigerians.

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I got a PayPal letter myself the other day, and it looked legit. But I didn't have any reason to change anything in my account there, so I didn't go to their website to investigate. Didn't seem like a phishing scam to me.
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Hardrock69
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Feb 2005

Don't bet on it. PayPal does not send emails like that.
            I do work on the side dealing with Nigerian 419 scammers and other online fraudsters, and they can occasionally create websites, email formats, etc. that look absolutely real.

If you want to know if it is a legit email, just log in to your real PayPal account. IF they would have actually sent that email, the message will be in your account in your inbox. What tips me off in most cases is when I get such an email at an email address that is not the one associated with my PayPal account.

Better safe than sorry.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2004

[QUOTE=Blaze;1540354]Yea, yea, yea, This would be throw away for me.

chop it, crop it.. do whatever..

I am chomping to pull some of these tracts and lay down next to them.
              I just authorize you send it.
              It it 5.96MB Geronimo.wma
              sorry about the wma.. better luck next time

What are you using for a DAW, Blaze?
              Last edited by Diamondjimi; 05-08-2011, 04:47 AM.
              Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Blaze
                It's almost certainly a scam.

Did it have your actual name in the email? That's the first test.

Comment

• Blaze
                  Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

This would be a good time to remind everyone of basic security.

As we are downloading from people, we may or may not know. One thing for sure, we are not certain where everyone has stuck, or is sticking their computers along the Internet tubes. Nor their extent of protection used while probing the great vast space of the Internet. Depending on your own internet situation, extra precaution is in order.

This site and others that clearly show who has or has not donated provides information to would be criminals. Whoever has donated, most likely they have a PayPal account.

A simple hack of the site as have occurred in the past, would provide the mailing list for those registered. That list and other data gleaned while the site was in exploit mode is useful to sell to help fund the operations of the criminal. Or used directly not only for theft but also for Business Intelligence. In addition, a criminal applying social engineering can corrupt, mislead, or force person/s into doing things they otherwise might not do.

Keep in mind, not only this site, but other sites you attend, like Sony’s recent breach of Playstation.
                  I know some of you are thinking OMG there is no way to be safe and have a life. Security is a commodity. Most of us do not want nor can take the time and money to have an unbreachable system. And quite honestly, no system is unbreachable including the one’s behind locked doors not connect to the internet.

What there are is unknown systems. Moreover, being unknown is relatively free for most people.
                  That sounds like you have to be a masked freak all the time and you do not want to do that. You want to be free, you want to make friends, be friends, and have a social life. I feel ya. I want, also!
                  Here is the solution that will work for most people.

Never use facts for your security questions. Do not give your mother’s maiden name, your hometown, or anything of that nature. Instead, choose a password. Do not use this password anywhere else on the web. Create three of them. You have high, middle, and low-level security zones. Security is fluid. Do not hesitate to move different parts of your life into different zones. Do not write these down anywhere. However, if you must, write them on paper and place them behind lock and key. Do not write “super secret passwords” on top of the list. A name and random looking addresses will do. You will know what they are. So will your significant other, when they ask what those are while rifling through important papers, but that is another topic…

You now no longer have to worry about talking about your childhood, family, or other such stuff in general conversation. You can tell that story about how your first pet, Fido ate your second pet in a rose bed and that is why that is your favorite flower. Or answer those silly data-mining-who-are-you questionnaires. OMG, you almost feel like a real person again. You cannot wait to start telling the world about just who you are and why. Glad to help

Now that you have removed personal information as your access to your online identity giving you one less known key, let us get the other keys just as unknown.

Remember the best security is the criminal not knowing.

However, how do you throw off an on-the-hunt criminal, or a nosy neighbor?

You want to be social, you want to have places to go, and you want to connect.

Your passwords into the cyber word let you be you. You must have a 100 of them and your comment about how fast grass grows is important! You got to get on!

To create secure passwords use a formula, a recipe so to speak, I will show you an example.

I would again create three levels.

Let us create a password:
                  Select a phrase such as:
                  Blue dogs named Sam have feet

Smash it, keep the capitols, and sprinkle a few numbers
                  Blu3dogsnam3dSamhavef33t
                  You can use a shorter one for example Arr3st3d

Choose two letters from the site you are visiting or making home.

We will use Roth Army as an example.
                  Choose the first and last letter, the first two letters, or fourth and sixth letters. It does not matter what two or three, just keep it consistent so you know which ones. You will place these letters somewhere in your passphrase.

For example, I will take the ‘my’ from rotharmy.com
                  I will take these letters and tack them somewhere in my phrase. I am going to choose for this example to place them after the first 3.
                  Blu3mydogsnam3dSamhavef33t
                  Arr3myssted

There you go, a unique password for every place

Here is an again in a nutshell
                  Auniquephrasewithcapitolsandnumberswithaplacemento fselectlettersofthesiteyouarevisiting
                  4uniquePhrasewithcap1tolsandnumberswithaplacemento fselectlettersofthesiteyouarevisiting.
                  4uniquePhrasewith(place select letters into the phrase)cap1tolsandnumberswithaplacementofselectlet tersofthesiteyouarevisiting.

Your password is your key. Don’t let it get breeched.
                  Here is a how long using a brute force program to hack your password.

Password Length/ All Characters/ Only Lowercase
                  3 characters/ 0.86 seconds/ 0.02 seconds
                  4 characters/ 1.36 minutes./ 046 seconds
                  5 characters/ 2.15 hours/ 11.9 seconds
                  6 characters/ 8.51 days/ 5.15 minutes
                  7 characters/ 2.21 years/ 2.23 hours
                  8 characters/ 2.10 centuries/ 2.42 days
                  9 characters/ 20 millennia/ 2.07 months
                  10 characters/ 1,899 millennia/
                  11 characters/ 180,365 millennia/
                  12 characters/ 17,184,705 millennia/
                  13 characters/ 1,627,797,068 millennia/
                  14 characters/ 154,640,721,434 millennia/

Roth Army defends against brute force, but lesser sites might not. And you might use that password here.

You say that does not matter. Nobody knows where I go or bank. Well that file you just downloaded from Billy Bob, who uses little to no security while visiting Russian Mafia sites, got a brief peek-a-boo into your system with a lesser known hack before you or your system shut it down. Now those cookies are only a password away from in.

Data logging is a whole other fiend, and best dealt with by using separate computers on separate intra and Internet networks and are topics unto themselves.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • May 2004

Yeah, yeah, blah, blah ~Data~!

Originally posted by Diamondjimi
                    What are you using for a DAW, Blaze?

Comment

• jhale667
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Started thinking, based on what Kwame had to say about what he was sending, that I'd rather have separate stereo tracks for the kick, snare, toms & overheads rather than one stereo mix I'm stuck with on my own tunes. Imaging for CPU space I'll eventually have to bounce it down to a master drum mix I'm stuck with, but I want to be 100% OK with the version I'm stuck with.

Originally posted by conmee
                      If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                      Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                      I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                      Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                      Originally posted by eddie78
                      I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Feb 2005

You are talking about the final drum track, not the mp3 we are all going to use to track our individual stuff, right?

Comment

• jhale667
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                          You are talking about the final drum track, not the mp3 we are all going to use to track our individual stuff, right?

Yeah, totally...long as I can hear the drums on the MP3 well enough to track my part(s), I'm cool. Sorry, I was talking about for my own stuff, and also kinda wondering out loud what'd be best for final mixing purposes there and in this context, as to what DJ wants....
                          If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2004

Well, if Kwame breaks his kit into 4+ controllable tracks ( In wav.) for his final take , the more tracks the merrier. Ideally a stereo overhead setup (2 mics) / 1 kick (2 if possible, one inside and one about 6' off the front head with a horse blanket encasing the entire front like an igloo sounds amazing The natural low end girth blended with the beater mic inside will melt your brain, it's so good) and one on the snare (2 if possible. One for each head) .

I've always wondered about the possibility of the conversion to mp3 has timeline robbing effects, even in the millisecond realm. Regardless, I think a lossless mixdown of the drums should be passed out to ensure exact timeline.
                            Then I guess bass and rhythm can get slapped on and then we can divvy up solo times. Or we can each do full passes and pick the best bits and transitions. It could go either way.

Comment

• Blaze
                              Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Originally posted by Diamondjimi
                              Yeah, yeah, blah, blah ~Data~!
                              Aouuu, Forgive me for getting kicked off the Internet!

I am using NCH

I used Movie Maker to record that evening. I thought I would be able to pop out the file. But then I realized, I couldn't access any of my recording programs.

BTW
                              Modzilla and Chrome released an update. This update includes a patch for invalid certificates that were issued.
                              I knew I had an exploit. I was having trouble finding it.
                              I was pretty certain that I had a certificate issue. And that was what it was.
                              It is nice to be able to use my pointer properly again

If you have not updated, those two browsers do so TODAY.... NOW.
                              If you are not sure check for an update. to update Chrome click on the About Chrome section.

Also, Scype has a known security issue on a mac.
                              Update it today.

For the geeks:
                              ~I couldn't find it. It must have not got saved before the crash.

You know what really annoys me, is I did a complete reset and reformat of my phone looking for the issue.
                              Last edited by Blaze; 05-08-2011, 11:43 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

• jhale667
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Ideally, a .WAV file of the drums would be better even to track against, huh?

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

Working...