Would you pay $1200 for a set of these Duncans?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coyote
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

Would you pay $1200 for a set of these Duncans?

Seymour Duncan Zephyr™ Silver Pickups give you everything you love about electric guitar, but more. Richer tone, more explosive dynamics, more responsive touch, a deliciously dense but wide-open sound.

Zephyr Silver pickups combine four distinct innovations unbound from pickup tradition:

Silver Wire Coils — Known as "The Great Conductor" among metals, silver and silver-plated wire's sonic excellence is well established in high fidelity audio applications, including moving coil phono cartridges, vacuum tube amplifier output transformers and cabling. Just as silver in audio makes music reproduction more convincing and alive, in pickup coils it gives your guitar punchier, jumpier, burstier feel with harmonically dense, dripping tone.

Nickel and Stainless Steel Bi-Metallic Pole Pieces — Combining these two premier transformer metals to shape and focus the magnetic field disturbed by your guitar's vibrating strings further contributes to the vivid, energetic sound of Zephyr Silver.

Glass Fiberfill Nylon Bobbin — Every dialectric material imparts its own sonic properties. In listening tests of new, more stable bobbin materials, we chose glass-filled nylon for slight advantages in definition and detail, as well as excellent material stability and consistent finish.

Cryogenic Treatment — Supercooling materials renders permanent improvement to their grain structure. Also an established enhancement in high-end audio, where cable, vacuum tubes and even entire electronic components are cryogenically treated for improvements in clarity and realism, we achieved similar results for guitar tone by cryogenically treating completed pickups, copper and silver alike. Cryo treatment enhances string definition and boosts the "way huge" potential of your guitar.

Each of these options is now available with any Custom Shop order, but in combination they lend our new premium Zephyr Silver pickups uniquely fast transients, wider but smooth frequency response, deeply rich harmonics, and unprecedented midrange tone density, with audible gains in string detail, articulation and overall definition. Slighter touch produces expressive sound, yet peak dynamics are more explosive, making your guitar feel more energetic and alive. We consider Zephyr Silver the most expressive pickups so far. They are not inexpensive, but from squeaky clean to buzzsaw grind, you'll hear and feel more power, projection and expression from any electric guitar.

Zephyr Silver Humbuckers
    Set: $1,195
    Single: $595.95

Zephyr Silver Stratocaster® Pickups
    Set: $1,195
    Single: $395.95

Zephyr Silver Telecaster® Pickups
    Set: $995
    Single Tele® Lead: $549
    Single Tele® Rhythm: $449

Link

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And of course I'm interested...
    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Cork sniffing. My brother was an audiofile and one his most prized possessions was a tube power amp that had transformers wound with 100% silver wire. The claim was those transformers sounded better than copper wound transformers. I didn't think they sounded any better than my McIntosh power amp.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• neuralfraud
      Head Fluffer
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Nitro Express
      Cork sniffing. My brother was an audiofile and one his most prized possessions was a tube power amp that had transformers wound with 100% silver wire. The claim was those transformers sounded better than copper wound transformers. I didn't think they sounded any better than my McIntosh power amp.
      WAS? Thank fuck for that!

Let's not get into $400 volume knobs and shit now.

I do however, admire your McIntosh. Those guys knew how to make good sounding gear.

/wish I could afford one
      //with the IDS-25 speaker system...
      ///check out http://roger-russell.com

Comment

• indeedido
        Veteran
        • Feb 2004

My standard pickup configs sound just great to me.
        This space for rent.

Comment

• jhale667
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Geez, even if the custom-wound set of humbuckers I'd won HADN'T been free, I know going by the Porter Price list I could still buy at least 3 sets of these! Still, wouldn't mind a "Custom 8" version of that to check out...
          Originally posted by conmee
          If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
          Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
          I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
          Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
          Originally posted by eddie78
          I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Coyote
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Jan 2004

Or a Custom 5...
            Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Comment

• jhale667
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Coyote
              Or a Custom 5...
              True. Speaking of those puppies, also just picked up an un-oriented A5 (UOA5) to try in a Custom...supposedly less scooped with more pleasing highs than the regular A5...should be getting the guinea pig..I mean, new guitar body back soon, will compare it to the regular ceramic, A5 and A8 to see which makes it scream loudest...

Think I'll hold off on the cryogenic treatment for the moment...
              If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• VAiN
                Use my hand, I won't look
                ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

I think that's just insane. The best rock music in the world was recorded on 'lo-fi' equipment by today's standards.. I'm all about being a guitar snob and all, but that's just silly.
                Originally posted by wiseguy
                That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by neuralfraud
                  WAS? Thank fuck for that!

Let's not get into $400 volume knobs and shit now.

I do however, admire your McIntosh. Those guys knew how to make good sounding gear.

/wish I could afford one
                  //with the IDS-25 speaker system...
                  ///check out http://roger-russell.com
                  Was because of death not because of choice. It took a fatal heart attack to stop his audiophile ways and to get him away from his crazy Japanese audio geek friends.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by indeedido
                    My standard pickup configs sound just great to me.
                    If expensive silver wound pickups were the real secret to the early VH tone, I would sell my organs to buy one. Good thing I know Ed wasn't using them.

Comment

• jhale667
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by VAiN
                      I think that's just insane. The best rock music in the world was recorded on 'lo-fi' equipment by today's standards.. I'm all about being a guitar snob and all, but that's just silly.
                      Yep, there's an old saying about (paraphrasing) "some of the most timeless music ever recorded was made on gear that was probably crappier than what your average kid owns today..."

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Coyote
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
                        True. Speaking of those puppies, also just picked up an un-oriented A5 (UOA5) to try in a Custom...supposedly less scooped with more pleasing highs than the regular A5...should be getting the guinea pig..I mean, new guitar body back soon, will compare it to the regular ceramic, A5 and A8 to see which makes it scream loudest...

Think I'll hold off on the cryogenic treatment for the moment...
                        What? Ya don't want to preserve anything for the future?

Comment

• Coyote
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
                          Yep, there's an old saying about (paraphrasing) "some of the most timeless music ever recorded was made on gear that was probably crappier than what your average kid owns today..."
                          with less money than the price of an iPod...

Comment

• Matt White
                            • Jun 2004

Incredible......

What some people wont waste money on.............

P T Barnum was SOOOOooooooooo right.....................................

Comment

• jhale667
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

The Cheap sucker's opinion...

Originally posted by Matt White
                              Incredible......

What some people wont waste money on.............

P T Barnum was SOOOOooooooooo right.....................................

Silver IS a better conductor than copper, but holy crap 10x more expensive than a regular ol' Duncan (sale pricing, not list)? I mean, I like regular ol' Duncans...

My inner gearhead wonders if (and a more thorough reading of the link after work makes me think not yet) they eventually offer the full line wound with silver wire, they'd have to completely rework the wind "recipe" for each variation ('59, JB, Custom, whatevs) or it's just the same amount of turns of 43g or whatever wire per bobbin as the regular versions, just silver-flavored... would they sound like enhanced versions of the standard, or completely different animals?

Back to the "classics were made with crappy gear" school of thought...wonder if those pickups have TOO much clarity to achieve "classic" sounds, y'know?

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

Working...