• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
    Probably not cheap.

I had a Vibro Champ as a kid, my first amp actually. Probably the one piece of gear I regret getting rid of.

My first real amp was a silver faced Fender Champ. I wish I still had it. Looking back, it was a good amp. It never gave me any problems.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

I have a book on the history of Marshall Amplification and it said women did the hand wiring on the boards because they had more patience and smaller hands. Nothing has changed much. Being in California it obviously not lead based solder. I wonder what kind of solder it is and if it avoids the problems typical with non lead solder being poor solder joints. I know Lee Jackson was really bitching about the new solder he has to use now.

Comment

• sadaist
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jul 2004

I wish I would have kept the amp I saved up for back in 1987. I worked all summer to get a decent amp. Fender Sidekick Reverb 25. Man, I played the hell out of it & it always sounded perfect & LOUD. Handled every pedal I put through it like butter. I wish I had kept that amp
        “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
          I wish I would have kept the amp I saved up for back in 1987. I worked all summer to get a decent amp. Fender Sidekick Reverb 25. Man, I played the hell out of it & it always sounded perfect & LOUD. Handled every pedal I put through it like butter. I wish I had kept that amp
          Ever notice how the things you had to work for are better? Nothing like setting a goal and then reaching it! I bet you were high as a kite when you finally had the money to buy that amp. It's a lost value. I see these kids now that want everything handed to them and I want to give them a big swift kick in the ass.

Comment

• Hardrock69
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Feb 2005

I felt that way in May of 1978. I had put a down payment on my first Gibson Flying V, a 1975, with Super Distortion Humbuckers in it, when I was stationed in Huntsville, Alabama. I got transferred 3 times after that, but when I got my income tax refund, it was enough to pay the balance I owed at the time. Was at work one day, Ft. Lewis, WA, when word came from the company HQ that there was a package for me. Man, the joy of getting that guitar was like nothing I had never felt.

Went to the rec center that evening, checked out a Kustom 2 X 12 120-watt combo amp, took it off to a room, plugged in and cranked that bitch up. In 20 minutes the MPs were there, saying they had complaints from a motel 2 blocks away, and that I should turn it down, lol.

Ahh memories....

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

I can remember in the late 70's guitars and equipment seemed to cost more then than it does now by comparison. Probably due to more mail order competition and more choices of products sold. I remember it being mom and pop Main Street music stores and man those Gibsons and Fenders seemed so expensive. Everyone was buying Ibanez or if you were really strapped a Mephis. I had a Mephis Les Paul and a Fender Champ amp. My parents refused to buy me an electric guitar so I had to buy all of it myself. Looking back it was a pretty decent setup to start on. Gibsons and Fenders were like buying a Rolls Royce. A flying V was pretty exotic for 78 and a Gibson to boot.

Comment

Working...