Some cool fender history as told by Dick Dale.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Some cool fender history as told by Dick Dale.

The Fender Dual Showman through two 15 inch speakers is still one of my favorite rigs. Everything sounds great through them. Bass and guitar.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!
  • ashstralia
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Feb 2004

you know, i've read that Mr. Fender didn't even play the guitar. genius.

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

I went to the old factory in Fullerton when they still made them there. Every neck was hand profiled. They had huge belt sanders and they just sanded them down eye balling it. Lot's of saw dust flying off. They also pushed the frets in from the side which was pretty cool. You could see why the old Fenders were hit and miss and why the neck profiles differed. They really were hand made.

Leo Fender owned a television/radio/electronics store and liked country music. He didn't play an instrument but he liked to tinker and basically made things based on what his musician friends wanted. So Fender instruments were designed by listening to what the musicians wanted. The result was affordable, durable, great sounding equipment that was comfortable to play.

Comment

• Matt White
        • Jun 2004

DICK DALE kicks ass!!!

Very cool interview!!!

Nice find Nitro!

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Matt White
          DICK DALE kicks ass!!!

Very cool interview!!!

Nice find Nitro!
          I saw him live at a pretty small venue. Loud as hell! He does kick ass. He had his 63 Fender reverb tank hanging by a rope. When I asked him why he said it got a fuller sound that way. I love the sound of those old reverb tanks especially Dick Dale hammering the hell out of one and pumping it out of 15 inch speakers. If you ever get a chance to see him do it!

Comment

• Matt White
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
            I saw him live at a pretty small venue. Loud as hell! He does kick ass. He had his 63 Fender reverb tank hanging by a rope. When I asked him why he said it got a fuller sound that way. I love the sound of those old reverb tanks especially Dick Dale hammering the hell out of one and pumping it out of 15 inch speakers. If you ever get a chance to see him do it!
            I know he played DETROIT this Fall...but I had things going on & missed it!! DOUBLE DAMN!!!

Comment

Working...