• Show
Clear All
  • Panamark
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale
    a cum coloured carpet!
    Ive got carpet ???????????? :eek:

Oops.. forgot to polish the floorboards again....
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Panamark
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Cathedral
      Nice stuff, Mark!
      I also have a Kahler on my Charvel, but it isn't a top mount system.
      I have the one that pretty much cloned the Floyd, and it still kicks ass after 20 years, and being rebuilt 3 times.

Parts for that fucker are hard to find nowadays, so when i see them in a music store i clean out the inventory without question.
      Problem is, i'm all out of black replacement parts so next time it will have to settle for some chrome pieces.

The pot metal fine tuners are my only beef with it because the tension tends to crack them after a few years.
      Would you believe I found the original Gold Kahler (Same as the factory fitted one on the destroyer) in a guitar shop in sydney,
      been sitting there in its original packaging, since the 80's !!!
      I scored it for $100. My destroyer now has a shiny new gold
      trem system, just like when I first bought it. Im getting some
      scratches taken out of the axe at the moment, will post a pic
      when I get it back. I Love the Kahler trem ! Always suited me.....

Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Cathedral
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Jan 2004

Same here, for this Charvel the Kahler is the shit.
        I had a white Charvel that was identical to my Black one that had a factory Floyd on it, but man, the white one was nowhere near the guitar my black one was.
        I had to keep taking that one in to get adjusted like every other month until i just got tired of dealing with it and sold the damn thing.

I prefer the Floyd on other axes, just not on my main axe.

I have an old Aria-Pro RS Classic guitar that got the VH paint job and it has a system called an Act-1 trem on it.
        It's the oddest trem i have ever seen and stayed in tune remarkably well for not having a locking nut.
        All i ever did using it live was to put a couple of drops of 3 in 1 oil on the nut, and she wailed all night long.

I really need to get some new guts for that axe and restore it, I gutted it after i stopped using it for gigs and never got it back together.
        It is now hanging on my bedroom wall over the bed, lol.

Comment

• Panamark
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Dude ! You gotta give that old friend a new life !!
          Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Cathedral
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Jan 2004

Yep, sure do.
            I have been thinking a lot about restoring it if i can find the wiring kit for it somwhere.
            I haven't even started seeking out the parts yet, but all the hardware is there.

I'm thinking it will be a winter project.

The original finish is Pearl White and i left it intact under the VH stripe job.
            I'v had this one since 1983, i think.

Comment

• Panamark
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

That beats me.. I think I bought the destroyer in 85..
              Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Panamark
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

Cant wait for you to show us your old Mate all working again ?
                Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Cathedral
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Jan 2004

That axe was pretty expensive for the time period i got it in. It had a price tag of $569.00 at Denny Heglin Music.

The only thing i didn't like about it was the 3 single coil pickups which led to my only regret by routing out the bridge section for a Dimarzio.
                  It will never be stock again.

It served me well for many years though as my back-up, pre-Van Halenization.
                  I used it a couple of times live after painting it, but had reservations about using Ed's trademark on stage.

Maybe i'll take it Jaman and have him re-wire it for me, the dude is a miracle worker when it comes to guitar construction.

Comment

• Panamark
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Ok, I know Ive been slack here. But I have promised many people here to post pics of the results of restoration work done on my
                    beloved Destroyer II. I purchased this new in 85 and it literally has been through everything with me. Ive been up and down, broke and
                    poor, but this baby was one item I would never part with. (No matter the depths of poverty). It had seen many PUB gigs, studded belt scratches, dings and chips, you name it. The original gold and brass
                    hardware, including the tremolo system had corroded to the point where I had to use black replacement pieces in the tremolo system.

Anyhoo, as not to bore you all much longer, I found *THE* kahler
                    tremolo system that belongs with the destroyer, sitting in its orignal
                    plastic wrapping in a guitar store in Sydney. Got it for $100.
                    (Had been in that wrapping since the 80's !) This was meant to be !

I was also directed to Jeff Mallia, the finest luthier and guitar restorer
                    in OZ...

So several hundred dollars later, she is like the day I first set eyes
                    on her. The sweetest of ironies, is that I picked it up within 24 hours
                    of meeting the soulmate of my life for the first time. That was *SO*
                    fucking meaningful to me... Love you babe !

So heres some pics.. Any dudes in Oz that want restoration done,
                    Mallia Luthiery in Sydney !!! I nearly cried the guitar was so great
                    when I got it back..
                    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Panamark
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

PIC 1
                      Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Panamark
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

PIC2

(Yes, thats my reflection !!)
                        Notice the orignal (new) tremolo and the buffed
                        brass knobs. I wish I had the before shots to post !
                        The paint job, which was a multi layered process
                        (took three months to get it back) is immaculate.

Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Panamark
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

PIC3

(Notice the adhesive protective paper still on plate)
                          Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Panamark
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

PIC4

Number 18 made in 85 ?

The dude that restored this paid great attention to assuring
                            all original serial numbers etc were left intact..

Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Panamark
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

I brightened the pics so you could all see how flawless it is now.
                              This was an axe that had a serious amount of dings and scratches..
                              Was worth every cent to get it back...
                              Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Panamark
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jan 2004

Plays like a dream too ! They did a full setup and fret dress as part
                                of the restoration. SweetSecrets has played this guitar

I tell ya, getting that guitar back and meeting my girl, life changing
                                experience. Would recommend it to anyone !
                                Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

Working...