X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Light Em' Up!
    Veteran
    • Mar 2012

Erica Estrada @mscrzychicasuxx

"I own pickup trucks, there's no other car in the garage" - #DavidLeeRoth #VanHalen #LIVE
    Told ya I was comin' back... Say you missed me... Say it like ya mean it!

Comment

• Light Em' Up!
      Veteran
      • Mar 2012

Judging by the pics, I'd say it's Ice Cream Man now...

Comment

• Light Em' Up!
        Veteran
        • Mar 2012

EVH solo...

Comment

• Light Em' Up!
          Veteran
          • Mar 2012

Austin Rodriguez @RustinAodriguez

#VanHalen concert was fucking insane! They never disappoint.

Comment

• Light Em' Up!
            Veteran
            • Mar 2012

Lee Cannan @LeeCann3

#VanHalen he's still got it!! @ American Airlines Center instagr.am/p/MH0v_rAtNM/

Comment

• David Lee Rocks
              Sniper
              • Jan 2004

Just got home, amwazing show tonight! Same set list as its been lately, and Deave sounded GREAT!! SO anyone that dosent think so can just go away, 12th row Eddies side, had the best time, thats all i got for now, more tommorow,goodnight!!

Comment

• David Lee Rocks
                Sniper
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by David Lee Rocks
                Just got home, amwazing show tonight! Same set list as its been lately, and Deave sounded GREAT!! SO anyone that dosent think so can just go away, 12th row Eddies side, had the best time, thats all i got for now, more tommorow,goodnight!!
                thats Dave, not Deave, sorry bout that, LOL

Comment

• Momshell
                  Veteran
                  • Jan 2012

Good morning all! Let's go! Let's go!
                  Unchained

Stay Frosty!

THE DAY IS DONZO LET'S HAVE SOME FUNZO!!

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                    • Dec 2003

We were there: The Van Halens rocked, while David Lee Roth was preoccupied with sheep herding during sold-out American Airlines Center concert
                    By Mario Tarradell / Music Critic
                    mtarradell@dallasnews.com
                    1:10 am on June 21, 2012 | Permalink

David Lee Roth kicked and rambled but barely sang, while Alex Van Halen kept a fierce beat. (Stewart F. House/Special Contributor)

David Lee Roth likes to go sheep herding, he told the sold-out crowd Wednesday night at American Airlines Center. My first thought was, “OK, David, that’s a quirky tidbit. I’ll file that away for future reference.”

But then Roth kept talking about sheep herding and the dog that chases the sheep. He showed us video of the dog chasing the sheep. He kept strumming an acoustic guitar as he talked more about sheep herding and we watched more video of the dog chasing the sheep.

We’re getting bored here, David. When he finally started the song, “Ice Cream Man,” his scratchy voice was in dire need of embellished instrumentation. Enter bassist Wolfgang Van Halen, guitarist Eddie Van Halen and drummer Alex Van Halen.

That, folks, was a scenario that sadly repeated itself throughout the two-hour show. Van Halen, reunited with Roth for the great rock record that is A Different Kind of Truth, has stumbled through this enormous tour. Thirty-one summer dates were scrapped, June 26 in New Orleans is it for the trek, and the reviews have been persistently negative about Roth’s voice. Eddie Van Halen and Roth have both said they simply bit off more than they could chew.

Well, at least Roth did. The Van Halens were excellent. Eddie remains a guitar beast, his fingers on the fret board never ceased to amaze. Wolfgang more than held his own on the bass, plus his harmonizing with dad was strong. Alex gave us the beat, always making sure his kit fortified the rhythms.

Roth was a mess. He was erratic, frequently slipping into spoken-word tangents mid song. We got a few of his signature kicks, but nothing too taxing. And his voice just couldn’t hold up through 22 tunes, all from the first six albums and Truth. He desperately needed the rest of the guys; they literally propped him up.

Only during “Panama,” about four songs from the end, did Roth come alive. He ably carried that song with sturdy vocals and sly dirty talk that felt segued not shoehorned.

But I’ll give him this, he came up with a zinger when introducing “China Town” from the Truth disc: “When you go to China, is there such a place as America Town?”

By contrast opening act Kool & the Gang, a pairing many thought would never work, were slamming greatness from the word go. The 11-member group, which enjoyed its greatest commercial success during the same heyday as the Roth-led Van Halen, gave us old-school choreography, a blazing horn section, and funked-up classics.

There really wasn’t a bad moment. I got a couple of my Kool & the Gang faves back-to-back – “Misled” and “Too Hot.” I felt like a teenager again. The triumvirate of “Hollywood Swinging,” “Jungle Boogie” and “Ladies Night” was superb. I couldn’t stop chair dancing. Plus, there were no thoughts of sheep herding in my mind.
                    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• CDABOAT1
                      Groupie
                      • Dec 2011

Whoever keeps slamming Dave is so far off base it's almost comical. We were at the show last night. Best I've EVER seen this band and Dave. One phrase can describe it.. POSITIVE ENERGY! Music was tight and Dave sounded great the WHOLE show. I was expecting a few road bumps for him given the reviews of past shows but, as Dave said last night, this was probably the best show of the tour. My wife who hasn't been the biggest Dave fan said after the show last night "I found a new appreciation for Dave - he was spectacular" due to his performance. What made last night's show was the ENERGY - and lots of it. It was as if Dave was out to prove all of the idiots wrong who criticized him on this tour. He kept things in his vocal range for the most part, but when he went to the upper range he nailed it. If last night's show is any indicator, I am convinced this band can continue long into the future. It truly was an amazing show in Big D with lots of fantastic chemistry between Dave and Eddie on-stage. A BIG dose of POSITIVE ENERGY in the breakfast blender!!!

Comment

• David Lee Rocks
                        Sniper
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by CDABOAT1
                        Whoever keeps slamming Dave is so far off base it's almost comical. We were at the show last night. Best I've EVER seen this band and Dave. One phrase can describe it.. POSITIVE ENERGY! Music was tight and Dave sounded great the WHOLE show. I was expecting a few road bumps for him given the reviews of past shows but, as Dave said last night, this was probably the best show of the tour. My wife who hasn't been the biggest Dave fan said after the show last night "I found a new appreciation for Dave - he was spectacular" due to his performance. What made last night's show was the ENERGY - and lots of it. It was as if Dave was out to prove all of the idiots wrong who criticized him on this tour. He kept things in his vocal range for the most part, but when he went to the upper range he nailed it. If last night's show is any indicator, I am convinced this band can continue long into the future. It truly was an amazing show in Big D with lots of fantastic chemistry between Dave and Eddie on-stage. A BIG dose of POSITIVE ENERGY in the breakfast blender!!!
                        yep, Dave was amazing last night, I think he sounded better than he did in Tulsa, ans Tulsa kicked ass!! The band, Eddie, Alex, and Wolfie were amazing as well, screw the haters, we know the truth!!

Comment

• jero
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Jan 2004

What a show! And dave sounded grate! They played Light up the sky at the soundcheck!
                          Even had a little chat with Edward in Dutch before the show.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• jero
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Jan 2004

party tent before the show
                            Attached Files

Comment

• jero
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Jan 2004

Diamond Dave