Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Romeo Delight
    ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Well, I am still recovering from last night.

Where to start. How about reconnecting with all of my dear CVH fanatics. We owned every establishment we went to...all the while sporting the mighty Roth Army T-shirt. It did spark up all of the right conversations. My crew was larger than life, just like the show. I did miss meeting up with my friend Greg who actually turned me on the Van Halen in the first place. Greg if you are reading this my apologies, but it was such a crazy night.

I was in the Downtown core at about 12 noon, as there was all kinds of people already decked out in the Eddie shoes and VH tees.

One of the coolest things about the event was walking up to the venue. The venue is located right in the core of Downtown Vancouver. there are some high-rises right by the stadium (high-rent).

Someone had come down and through their 2nd or 3rd story apartment had a full PA setup with not just Van Halen playing, but the classic boots!!!!! OUTTA LOVE!!!!!!!!! G-G-G-G- AGAIN!!!!

It was the perfect night
    sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• TJMKID
      Veteran
      • Mar 2004

Wow ---- there appears to be no shortage of clueless cumstains in Canada!

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
      And I thought that 1st review was fucked up.....

__________________________________________________ __________

Eddie Van Halen's killer guitarwork barely makes up for David Lee Roth's subpar singing these days.

Van Halen's glory days are fading fast

Eddie finds poor old Dave's impassioned pleadings for a warmer scarf to be quite hilarious.

By Steve Newton, May 8, 2012
      At Rogers Arena on Monday, May 7.

Some rock bands from the seventies can still bring the dynamite in both hands. The last time I saw Aerosmith—at Rogers Arena in 2010—they overcame rumours of a pending breakup by delivering a flawless, electrifying set. And two years before that, AC/DC roared through the same building with a stunning ferocity you just don't expect from 57-year-olds in short pants.

But Van Halen has not aged nearly as well as Aerosmith or AC/DC. As we discovered at Rogers Arena last night, the band is on its last legs as far as live performance goes, and those legs are unfortunately attached to the swivel-challenged hips of one David Lee Roth.

Diamond Dave doesn't get around much anymore, but that's okay because they've set up a little wooden floor at the centre of the stage for him to shimmy and slide around on while he makes the most of fidgeting with a long scarf that doubles as a sweat rag. That's okay by me; I realize that he's outgrown those flying scissorkicks he used to pull off in '84, and I could care less whether he runs around the stage or not. But I was really hoping that with all that standing around, he'd be able to focus on his singing and deliver some decent vocals. Sadly, that hardly ever happened.

Thank God for Eddie Van Halen. If it weren't for his shit-hot fretwork, the concert would have been an unmitigated disaster. But on rowdy VH classics like the opener "Unchained" and the set-closing "Ain't Talkin' Bout Love" the guitarist brought enough ballsy fire to distract you from the subpar singing. His extended solo--which incorporated bits of the instrumentals "Eruption" and "Cathedral"--no doubt made the guitar freaks in attendance yearn for that solo album he's been teasing them with forever.

As expected, the rhythm section of drummer Alex Van Halen (Eddie's older brother) and bassist Wolfgang Van Halen (Eddie's 21-year-old son) laid down a steady foundation for the guitar legend to soar over, except on the encore, "Jump", which sounded surprisingly out of sync.

There wasn't much to complain about as far as the set-list went, although a couple more tracks from the band's impressive new album, A Different Kind of Truth, would have been nice. And the mediocre "Women in Love" should have been replaced by the intense "Little Dreamer", which was a highlight the last time the band played here, in December 2007.

For that show, the staging was very basic, but this time around it was even more so. You had Eddie's batch of amps at one end of the stage and Wolfie's at the other, with Alex's drums in the middle, behind Roth's little shindig setup. Apart from a few sets of stairs and one enormous video screen, that was it for bells and whistles. Maybe the band is on a less-is-more kick. Or maybe the Van Halens don't want be stuck with truckloads of gear, in case you-know-who stops moving altogether.

Comment

• chi-town324
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Feb 2007

Dave doesn't get around much anymore? fuck him...the guys doing full splits at age 57...this fucktwat is probably 400lbs and cant get up a flight of stairs without weezing

Comment

• VanCanHalen
          Groupie
          • Jan 2012

Ok all as promised make sure you watch it on full 1080 to take it all in, You really got me!!!

Comment

• Romeo Delight
            ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by VanCanHalen
            Ok all as promised make sure you watch it on full 1080 to take it all in, You really got me!!!

Dude! That is some fine camera work!
            sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• TJMKID
              Veteran
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by chi-town324
              Dave doesn't get around much anymore? fuck him...the guys doing full splits at age 57...this fucktwat is probably 400lbs and cant get up a flight of stairs without weezing

Yeah exactly ---- how come this fuckface didnt mention the fat kid standing behind Dave (who's 1/3 his age) cant even do half the physical stuff Dave is doing every night onstage?

Like I already said ---- too many clueless cumstains working for newspapers these days!

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Aren't writers in newsapers nowadays sometimes the bloggers who get an assigment becasue so-and-so is sick or on vacation?

I am not wasting my breath on these idiots
                sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Momshell
                  Veteran
                  • Jan 2012

Originally posted by VanCanHalen

HOLY SHIT - VAN FUCKIN HALEN!!!! That jam is intense! I gotta know....is that you screaming "oh my god! oh my god! holy fuck!" ?! After seeing that, I'm done reading reviews - these guys clearly don't get it, and I really don't care what they think. That video is all I need to see - who else does that?! You can just tell these guys are meant to be on stage with each other, and really love playing together. Great video Van!!! Thank you for waking my ass up at this hour!
                  (one more comment......if Dave is sweating this much, maybe he should at least take off the jacket or a scarf or something....no need for the poor guy to suffer! )
                  Stay Frosty!

THE DAY IS DONZO LET'S HAVE SOME FUNZO!!

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by momshell
                    holy shit - van fuckin halen!!!! That jam is intense! I gotta know....is that you screaming "oh my god! Oh my god! Holy fuck!" ?! After seeing that, i'm done reading reviews - these guys clearly don't get it, and i really don't care what they think. That video is all i need to see - who else does that?! You can just tell these guys are meant to be on stage with each other, and really love playing together. Great video van!!! Thank you for waking my ass up at this hour!
                    (one more comment......if dave is sweating this much, maybe he should at least take off the jacket or a scarf or something....no need for the poor guy to suffer! )
                    amen!!!
                    Roth Army Icon
                    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• fwacf
                      Roadie
                      • Jul 2004

Once again........tool bags don't belong at van halen shows.......they fix chicken-foot wire for the sheep!
                      Originally posted by va beach vh fan
                      and i thought that 1st review was fucked up.....

__________________________________________________ __________

Eddie Van Halen's killer guitarwork barely makes up for David Lee Roth's subpar singing these days.

van halen's glory days are fading fast

eddie finds poor old dave's impassioned pleadings for a warmer scarf to be quite hilarious.

By steve newton, may 8, 2012
                      at rogers arena on monday, may 7.

Some rock bands from the seventies can still bring the dynamite in both hands. The last time i saw aerosmith—at rogers arena in 2010—they overcame rumours of a pending breakup by delivering a flawless, electrifying set. And two years before that, ac/dc roared through the same building with a stunning ferocity you just don't expect from 57-year-olds in short pants.

But van halen has not aged nearly as well as aerosmith or ac/dc. As we discovered at rogers arena last night, the band is on its last legs as far as live performance goes, and those legs are unfortunately attached to the swivel-challenged hips of one david lee roth.

Diamond dave doesn't get around much anymore, but that's okay because they've set up a little wooden floor at the centre of the stage for him to shimmy and slide around on while he makes the most of fidgeting with a long scarf that doubles as a sweat rag. That's okay by me; i realize that he's outgrown those flying scissorkicks he used to pull off in '84, and i could care less whether he runs around the stage or not. But i was really hoping that with all that standing around, he'd be able to focus on his singing and deliver some decent vocals. Sadly, that hardly ever happened.

Thank god for eddie van halen. If it weren't for his shit-hot fretwork, the concert would have been an unmitigated disaster. But on rowdy vh classics like the opener "unchained" and the set-closing "ain't talkin' bout love" the guitarist brought enough ballsy fire to distract you from the subpar singing. His extended solo--which incorporated bits of the instrumentals "eruption" and "cathedral"--no doubt made the guitar freaks in attendance yearn for that solo album he's been teasing them with forever.

As expected, the rhythm section of drummer alex van halen (eddie's older brother) and bassist wolfgang van halen (eddie's 21-year-old son) laid down a steady foundation for the guitar legend to soar over, except on the encore, "jump", which sounded surprisingly out of sync.

There wasn't much to complain about as far as the set-list went, although a couple more tracks from the band's impressive new album, a different kind of truth, would have been nice. And the mediocre "women in love" should have been replaced by the intense "little dreamer", which was a highlight the last time the band played here, in december 2007.

For that show, the staging was very basic, but this time around it was even more so. You had eddie's batch of amps at one end of the stage and wolfie's at the other, with alex's drums in the middle, behind roth's little shindig setup. Apart from a few sets of stairs and one enormous video screen, that was it for bells and whistles. Maybe the band is on a less-is-more kick. Or maybe the van halens don't want be stuck with truckloads of gear, in case you-know-who stops moving altogether.
                      When you turn on your stereo, does it return the favor?

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Shit people! There's a way to say the review sucked without re-posting it y'know. I hate when garbage reviews become a rash all over a thread about yet another bombastically amazing show.

Comment

• TJMKID
                          Veteran
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by fwacf
                          Once again........tool bags don't belong at van halen shows.......they fix chicken-foot wire for the sheep!

Tell these bloggin' cum garglers to attend this sheep show for the real meaning of "fading fast"

Comment

• fourthcoming

Jeez.....how lame is that video of Chickenshit.....rediculous

Comment

• TJMKID
                              Veteran
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by fourthcoming
                              Jeez.....how lame is that video of Chickenshit.....rediculous

I would bet this same cum-garglin' writer attends this ChickenSheep show and says ---- "Wow, Sammy is almost 65 yrs. old and still brings it --- he's AMAZING"

Comment

• fourthcoming

Lovin' that jam in the middle of Unchained.....100% kick ass

Comment

Working...