• Jagermeister
        Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Epic!

Comment

• David Lee Rocks
          Sniper
          • Jan 2004

Ok guys, this was the BEST Van Halen show Ive ever seen, and ive seen alot! Even Dave said it was one of the best on the tour so far, 13 rows back left center kind of, FANTASTIC!! My friend i took with me was impressed also, and Kool and the Gang really brought it also! It was worth every penny!! THANK YOU VAN HALEN!! i HEARD A RUMOR ABOUT A SHOW iN oKLAHOMA cITY IN SEPTEMBER, YES!!!!

Comment

• houseofpain
            Head Fluffer
            • Feb 2005

Holy shit! If Okc happens, I will be going there as well. The old myriad wAs a great place to go see concerts and Chesapeake Arena is even better!
            EAT US AND SMILE!
            LOOK WHO'S BACK IN CIRCULATION!
            DAMAGE INC!

Comment

• Jagermeister
              Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Van Halen review: Hot forTulsa

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/arti...8_CUTLIN111112

Diamond" David Lee Roth's trademark caterwaul may not carry the same range it did 30 years ago, but who cares? It came close. Tuesday night's Van Halen tour stop at Tulsa's BOK Center proved it.

Van Halen was back. Fans came to hear the original, and Roth helped give it to them. Each dressed in black, family band Alex (drums), Wolfgang (bass) and Eddie Van Halen (guitar) joined Roth for close to two hours of hedonistic rock anthems.

Roth and Eddie Van Halen often played off each other, Roth's trademark yawp a call-and-response ritual to Eddie's throbbing guitar riffs.

"I'll Wait," "Girl Gone Bad" and "Romeo Delight" melded with "Hot for Teacher," "Panama" and "Jump." They rocketed through their famous covers of the Kinks' "You Really Got Me," Roy Orbison's "Oh, Pretty Woman" and John Brim's tasty "Ice Cream Man." Every album was represented, though not every hit: "Hear About it Later," "Dance the Night Away," "Runnin' With the Devil" and "Beautiful Girls" all made the set.

Roth, dressed in black leather, sequins and studs, had his high kicks projected large onto a two-story-tall screen. He kicked, he spun, he twirled his mic stand, he slid, he did the splits, he karate-chopped air, he cracked wise, he changed wardrobes, he postured. He reveled in pomposity.

The fans wouldn't accept anything less. He delivered.

"I see a lot of really young kids here tonight with their parents for their first concert," Roth said. "And I just want to let you know, this music is the reason a lot of you exist today!" he added as the crowd cheered.

Van Halen recorded two of my favorite albums: 1980's "Women and Children First" and 1984's seminal "1984." The former's a win for the unusual dexterity between its ego-blasted mix on drum, bass, vocals and guitar and the latter for its front-to-back endurance, its integration of modern electronic sounds and unabashed rock radio viability.

Both are groundbreaking in their swaggering, heady, heavy sound. Eddie Van Halen's technique is legendary - dynamic and startling. His solos are less noodling than they are rabbitholes into an aural other dimension.

Tuesday night proved fertile terrain for Van Halen classics. During "Everybody Wants Some!," Roth's creepy-guy spoken-word lyrics, "This stuff isn't going out on the Internet, honey. No. It's just a couple of pictures. ... I like the way the line runs up the back of the stockings," became a catcall to the outrageous sexuality of rock 'n' roll itself. Alex Van Halen's tribal beat electrified Wolfgang Van Halen's detonating bass and Eddie Van Halen's freewheeling guitar. The crowd became one with the rhythm, bouncing and singing in unity.

Van Halen's new studio album, "A Different Kind of Truth," dropped Feb. 7 on Interscope Records, and the first Roth-Van Halen since "1984."

Tuesday's concert included new music "Tattoo," "She's the Woman," "The Trouble with Never" and "China Town," packed near the front of the set, the new like a collaboration with the past - a time vehicle for with what people really came to see, which is the music that helped propel its album sales past the 75 million mark and define American rock 'n' roll.

Kool & the Gang opened the show with its 11-member set, funky and energetic with a roster of its classics, including "Fresh," "Tonight," "Too Hot," "Get Down On It," and "Celebration." The bright, brassy trills and plucky bass runs of "Jungle Boogie" got fans screaming, on their feet and clapping their hands.

The band was reportedly chosen to open this tour by Roth himself. It thanked him by playing "Hollywood Swinging," a tune Van Halen covered in its earliest days. Indeed, these are the songs almost everyone knows the words to, and they don't necessarily know how or why.

Yes, it is an odd pairing for an arena tour, but the genre-bending time-warp readied fans with timeless music, and, to a certain extent, helped suspend reality. Kool & the Gang wrapped the arena in an envelope of nostalgia.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/arti...8_CUTLIN111112

Comment

• Jagermeister
                Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

As I'm sure so many concertgoers noticed Tuesday night, mannnn, it was steamy at the BOK Center arena during Van Halen's concert.

Contrary to rumor, the air-conditioning wasn't "broke." The heat wasn't turned on, either. Most simply put, Van Halen requested that the air be turned off.

BOK Center Premium Services Manager Sammi Al-Jiboori sent an email (forwarded to the Tulsa World) to many ticketholders before Tuesday's show to let fans know, "Due to artist request, there will be no air movement during Van Halen's performance. This will result in higher than normal temperatures than what you're probably used to here at the BOK Center."

Yes, I've also heard from several fans that the heat "almost ruined" the concert. And yes, it seems a bit obscene for a band to make thousands of fans uncomfortable when they pay good money to support and see the headlining act.

When contacted, BOK Center management had no additional comment.

With some research, the "air circulation ban" is a request made by the band at seemingly all of its tour stops. Many fan message boards, venues and reviews from the 20-plus stops already made on Van Halen's current North American tour reflect as much.

And, really, I've been to many, many shows (everywhere) that were a lot hotter, much more cramped and pulled off with far more chaos. So maybe I'm a bit more unaffected than most. I'm not the "average" concert-goer.

I've been to indoor concerts where temperatures hit triple digits. ... Remember when Cain's Ballroom had no air conditioning? It never did, until less than a decade ago. I've been to arena concerts that were hotter than last night's show. That's why I generally wear light layers: tank, tee, jacket and (in winter) a coat, especially to arena shows. Hey, because sometimes those places are downright frigid, and sometimes, I'm sure, at artist request.

Comment

• Jagermeister
                  Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by houseofpain
                  Holy shit! If Okc happens, I will be going there as well. The old myriad wAs a great place to go see concerts and Chesapeake Arena is even better!
                  I saw them in OKC on the last tour. It was a great show. Had like 10th row seats. I am not a big fan of that arena though.

Comment

• loucap81
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Apr 2012

Re: the OKC rumor. I will not be surprised, and almost expect them to do one last extension of the tour to cover more secondary markets west of the Mississippi River. They did 80 dates for the 2004 Van Hagar tour and 75 for the 2007-08 reunion tour. So far only 61 have taken or will take place.
                    Last edited by loucap81; 05-02-2012, 06:00 PM.

Comment

• Light Em' Up!
                      Veteran
                      • Mar 2012

Originally posted by loucap81
                      I will not be surprised, and almost expect them to do one last extension of the tour to cover more secondary markets west of the Mississippi River. They did 80 dates for the 2004 Van Hagar tour and 75 for the 2007-08 reunion tour. So far only 61 have taken or will take place.
                      I'm crossing my fingers for Boise, SLC, Reno, Portland, etc...Sniper and I would like to hit at least those 4 of they add them on....
                      Told ya I was comin' back... Say you missed me... Say it like ya mean it!

Comment

• perrin29
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Light Em' Up!
                        I'm crossing my fingers for Boise, SLC, Reno, Portland, etc...Sniper and I would like to hit at least those 4 of they add them on....
                        While you're at it, cross your fingers for me in Halifax.

Comment

• Light Em' Up!
                          Veteran
                          • Mar 2012

Originally posted by perrin29
                          While you're at it, cross your fingers for me in Halifax.
                          I'm crossing my fingers and toes for whomever has a desire to see them :-)
                          Told ya I was comin' back... Say you missed me... Say it like ya mean it!

Comment

• Hardrock69
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by SLAUGHTER MAN
                            HARD ROCK69...can't fuckin' wait to read your post about the Tulsa show. It sucked that St Louis didn't get ROMEO DELIGHT (one of top 5 VH songs) and GIRL GONE BAD..I wish they would have put GGB in PRETTY WOMAN'S place....completely changed my attitude on I"LL WAIT..it smokes like Tommy Chong 4/20. Was good in 2007/08...is beyond killer,slap your woman's ass, light a bomb bad ass on this tour,

Well, I won't have a post about the Tulsa show, as I was not there. On FB my best friend had this to say:

Still fired up about the VH show in Tulsa! Outstanding production; Edward played like a demon; Blown Away Royale!!!!

Comment

• redfire
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Feb 2004

Ok, I have EWS up. It's in 2 parts because of battery problems. But I suck at embedding, so I'll just give the link and someone wants to embed them here, more power to you. Here's the link to my youtube. I'm xxjburr

Eat Us and Smile!

Comment

• redfire
                                Head Fluffer
                                • Feb 2004

I'm working on uploading Romeo Delight next.

I'm trying to clean up the audio on these other songs...
                                Eat Us and Smile!

Comment

Working...