X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BenJammin
    Foot Soldier
    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
    Comparatively speaking, I think Dave is going through what Mickey Mantle went through in '68. Shots that would almost clear the park began falling shy of the warning track. I think Dave probably has a good ten more years of recording some great music, but I think the sun is setting a bit on his live gig. I hope the band sees the actual world on this tour because their work pace dictates the next tour would be somewhere around 2016.
    Not that he was rock-n-roll, but the situation with Sinatra was similar. He was still performing way past his prime and the word was not to go see him unless you just really loved Sinatra and were not expecting him to sound like he did at his peak. Plus he forgot the words a lot too !
    "Money can't buy poverty." -Marty Feldman

Comment

• chi-town324
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Feb 2007

Dave still puts on one hellava show....i can overlook the weak vocals...cause he makes up for that with his stage presence...i just hope he doesn't damage his pipes..rock on DD

Comment

• guitard
        Roth Army Recruit
        • Mar 2012

Originally posted by BenJammin
        Not that he was rock-n-roll, but the situation with Sinatra was similar. He was still performing way past his prime and the word was not to go see him unless you just really loved Sinatra and were not expecting him to sound like he did at his peak. Plus he forgot the words a lot too !
        Ah yes ~ the pre-teleprompter days!

Comment

• The Roth Era
          Roth Army Recruit
          • Apr 2012

Originally posted by ZahZoo
          From that clip I'd say the blower rant is just showbiz schtick... been repeated too many times.
          It's not schtick. It was chilly with the air circulating up front. Dave went off stage, then they turned the ventilation off and it was a noticeable difference.
          Between a Roth and a Hard Place...

Comment

• golitely
            Roadie
            • Nov 2011

While there was a bit of a breeze on the floor, it would have been simple enuff for someone to check it out before the show or for DLR to go over to the side of the stage to tell them to shut it off. Instead, he makes a production of it seemingly every show so it’s got to be part of the act—that or someone really needs to be kicked off the road crew.

Comment

• Sensible Shoes
              Full Member Status

• Oct 2009

Is it possible that the blower issue has to be handed off to union folks, and they are just used to having it on for shows?

Oh dear.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Sensible Shoes
                Is it possible that the blower issue has to be handed off to union folks, and they are just used to having it on for shows?
                I would think the building crew is in charge of the building heat. Hey Dave tell them to shut it off before the show !! Hope the break helps his voice rest.

Comment

• gene
                  Full On Cocktard
                  • Sep 2004

Hope there is no brown M&Ms by thoes blowers!

Comment

• Zing!
                    Veteran
                    • Oct 2011

Originally posted by TJMKID
                    STW does sound good live --- consistently good --- so they need to keep it.

I agree that "Chinatown" needs to go. Dave is struggling too much with it.

I would love to see them bring out "Big River".
                    YES! Big River should be in the set. Would love for them to add a real encore after Jump by having them come back out again for Big River.
                    My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Sensible Shoes
                      Maybe for an older venue there's manual controls. Most modern arenas have automated climate control systems. There's various sensors throughout and a central control unit that balances heat/cooling to maintain a set temperature throughout the facility.

With the stage area packed with a ton of electronics and all of those heat producing lighting rigs... odds are the automated control systems are working over-time to maintain that section of the venue at it's desired temperature. Thus the dreaded, evil blowers...

For these automated systems it's not a matter of someone going and adjusting a thermostat or flipping a switch... some one has to go to the control center and override the programmed settings for that specific area. That may or may not be a quick fix if the building maintenance staff are not on-site or the guy with the password to access the main computer controls...

Now if it's blowers built into the stage setup... then it's a whole different matter and whoever is managing the road crew needs to walk bow-legged for a bit until resolved. I still say it's more schtick than anything... but who knows..?
                      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

Working...