Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

Me and Poj had a BLAST during Bette's set in '02 in Raleigh....

We were fucking HAMMERED, booing, giving him the bird, turning our back on him....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• DONNIEP
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Mar 2004

Fuck, never thought they'd play Hang 'Em High again...It sounds awesome! I like this version better than the old boots of it. Of course, if Dave knew the lyrics it would be better Doesn't really matter to me though - if they play it in Charlotte I won't be able to hear Dave over my singing anyways
      American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Fairwrning
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by tjvhou812
        the way things are going we might be able to hear FOOLS by the end of the tour
        Im hoping for " Light up the Sky' by Greensboro...or different new tunes..

Comment

• NIN1211
          Head Fluffer
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Big Fat Sammy
          Let's get a close up on that.

I love this album..it always gets treated as the bastard child of the Big Six...but this album was the first ,this young man at the age of 11, had his Mom purchase for him back in 82'. Got me through alot of shit (divorce etc.) back then. Thanks VH.....

Hey psycho, please get out of my Van Halen T-shirt before you jinx the band and they break up.

Comment

• Sensible Shoes
            Full Member Status

• Oct 2009

Hi everybody, I have been in a funk all day, avoiding the computer and the reviews, because my concert jaunt is over and I'm afraid I may never see the mighty VH live again. Sure hope I'm wrong.

I knew I was going to be in trouble with the boards when I couldn't get tapatalk to connect once we were in Boston. No connection whatsoever at the Harp and I got connected twice in the garden, once to tell you no set list - then to try and tell you they played Hang 'em high and that went through about a half hour later. Fuckin links scooped us!
            Started at the harp looking for TJVHOU812 and Chuckie Lee - no luck. Listened to Unchained for a while, thought of saying hi to Rick during a break, I met him at "Dave's 50th Birthday Bash" in NYC during the DDLR days, but Unchained did not TAKE a break.....oh well. My friend and I got a table and had dinner.

Then we decided since we didn't find anybody to go see Kool and the Gang. What a MISTAKE. God it sucked. Now to be fair, we had the ultimate of nosebleed seats and VH didn't sound great up there either - but I had no desire to get up and dance or do anything but go get more beer. My friend was more into it than I was.

So VH started and from what I could see Dave was spot on for most of the lyrics. I was preoccupied telling my friend what song they were playing and trying to see the screen around the huge wall of speakers that were in the way! The highlights were Dave's story about being 7 years old and taking dinner to his father at Mass General and his mother telling to play on the sidewalk with his sister. The people in the jail yelling down to him - Hey sugar, you're handsome, a good looking boy" and him asking who they were. His mom told him those were the ladies in the jail talking to him. Well, Dave says, later I was watching a documentary on the jail and those weren't no fucking ladies. He sure has a way with a story.

The end of Hot for Teacher was killer extended and Dave told Alex that he was amazing and that was the mother of all rock endings. I am getting the idea that Dave is kissing Al's ass on stage a little cause he also told him what a bad motherfucker he was after the Drum solo in Buffalo. hmmmm.

What else did I notice, lessee. Oh, and don't kill the messenger. The first two words of "Tattoo" are piped in. I know this because Dave was talking and they sprung the opening of the song on them early - and Ed and Wolf weren't even at their mics. Makes sense when you think about it, that was a multi note layered chord and 3 people really can't sing it anyway. Anyway, it doesn't mean that Wolf is not singing so don't knife me or anything. There were other places where you knew they were singing when the lyrics could have been piped in and they weren't. They nailed the middle of "Dance the night away" for instance. So much my friend commented on it. "That's not easy to do a cappella in the middle of a song."

I cannot comment on the quality of Hang 'em High. I was just so fucking excited to hear it that I spent most of the song trying to get Tapatalk to work, and it was really tough to hear up there at the ceiling anyway.

Eddie's solo contained almost ALL of cathedral which was very cool. My friend was very impressed by that too. I was almost crying by the time they hit ABTL and Jump - I couldn't believe my concert week went by so fast. So now I'll just stay around on the boards on concert nights with my beer and looking at play by play. And I can watch concert clips now and not worry it's going to spoiil anything. I have to go back and look at FUll Bug. I wouldn't look at it iin case they played it at any of my 3 shows.

I'm sitting here all bummed, hoping that I"ll get to see my DLR friends again someday. Buffalo was the ultra concert experience and I love these people so much.
            I pray that they add Cleveland to the list and I will make the definite effort to get there in the summer time. Boy we just love Cleveland, go figure.
            Last edited by Sensible Shoes; 03-12-2012, 06:24 PM.

Oh dear.

Comment

• Sensible Shoes
              Full Member Status

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by sadaist
              Dave readin the lyrics -

Perhaps the band sprung this on him. The 3 VH's practice A LOT together and maybe do this tune. For some reason Wolf or Eddie said...hey, let's fucking play hang Em High tonight. Dave "wtf dudes? I haven't practiced that. Haven't sang it in 30 fucking years."....."Here, we'll run to Kinkos & print it out for you, but we're playing it."

This could also explain why Dave keeps saying "I don' know what the fuck we're doing next".

Oh dear.

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by tjvhou812
                the way things are going we might be able to hear FOOLS by the end of the tour
                Yeah, and it will be called Schools, or Drools by the time Dave sings it...
                Last edited by ELVIS; 03-12-2012, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Sensible Shoes
                  Hi everybody, I have been in a funk all day
                  Join the club...

And that's all I or anybody in their right mind will read of your rant...

Comment

• ELVIS
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                    Of course, if Dave knew the lyrics it would be better Doesn't really matter to me though
                    Well, it does fucking matter !!!

Comment

• Sensible Shoes
                      Full Member Status

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by ELVIS
                      Join the club...

And that's all I or anybody in their right mind will read of your rant...

What rant, Jackmonkey?

Oh dear.

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

I was kidding...

Comment

• vandeleur
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Sep 2009

Most bands have crib sheets ... Am as shocked as u Dave can't remember shit he did live in 1980fuckknows .... There going for it and dave gave it a shot .... Or we could have the same set every night if he wasn't game ,this tour is showing the van's have been practicing the old shit .....hats off to Dave for backing their play and and not playing safe .
                          Last edited by vandeleur; 03-12-2012, 07:05 PM.
                          fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• DONNIEP
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                            Well, it does fucking matter !!!
                            You know, I actually agree with you - Dave should be as prepared as the rest of the band. I just don't think it would matter so much to me if I was sitting in the audience and hearing it with 15,000 other people who are all singing at the top of their lungs too. But I'm not going to make excuses for Dave. If Eddie came out and blew most of a song we'd be all over that.
                            American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• ELVIS
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2003

Thank you...

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                                Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                                If Eddie came out and blew most of a song we'd be all over that.
                                And we were...just 4 or 5 short years ago.

I agree with you and Elvis. I mean..fuck. I haven't sung "Hang 'Em High" out loud for decades either, but even I knew more of the words than Dave did.

C'mon Dave...give us a break!
                                Originally posted by perilouspete
                                fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

Working...