X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DLR Bridge
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by fourthcoming
    I like how Wolfie gives props to Uncle Dave as Ice cream Man wraps up....cool stuff.
    Watch it again (as hard as it is) pretty sure that's Ed barking out props to Dave. Wolf's not near a mike at the time.

Comment

• SunisinuS
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • May 2010

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
      Watch it again (as hard as it is) pretty sure that's Ed barking out props to Dave. Wolf's not near a mike at the time.

It is.....never thought I would live to see the day....but damn straight...Edward Van Halen yelling "David Lee Roth" "David Lee!"
      Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Talk about how goose bumpy something as little as that can get ya, I'm pretty sure when ICM is done in the '76 Golden West Ballroom show, you hear a young Ed say, "David Lee on the box!" I say God damn I love this band!

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
          Well, I noticed that VA sent a tweet directly to Wolfgang asking them to play Drop Dead Legs or DOA... we'll see what happens! At this point, I think anything is possible.
          Well, if you search @WolfVanHalen on Twitter, you'll see that he gets a ton of miscellaneous crap...

But at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they whipped out Big Bad Bill in Chicago....
          Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Here's my 2 cents from what i've seen and heard so far...if you get offended with any negative comments about DLR, do not read any further.

Ed, Wolf and Alex are absolutely killing it. I really can't believe how great they are. They get A+s.

Dave has been ok. In my opinion, he has been the weak link, and i'm really dumbfounded as to why Dave would allow his performance to be so...average.

It didn't bother me back in the day when Dave would forget the fucking words. Eddie was wasted, Dave was wasted...they were in their late 20's early 30's and could pull that off. Now it does bother me. I don't need screams anymore. I don't need leg kicks anymore. Fuck it, I don't even care if they stand in the same spot all night...

STOP. FORGETTING. THE. FUCKING. WORDS.

I don't expect Dave to try and reproduce what the lyrics sounded like on the albums. Don't want that at all. But there are those moments in almost every song that I have seen from these few shows, where the difference in vocals is so distracting, IT TAKES ME OUT OF THE SONG.

How fucking bad-ass would it be if Dave could be as in-the-pocket with the lyrics as the band is with the music?

I think that the vast majority of the performances so far have been really good-to-great. But it's those distracting moments in each song where Dave is freestyling that bring my rating of him down to just "average".
            Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

Comment

• RealTwisted
              Groupie
              • Jun 2004

One thing I'm chuckling at with the crowds, and I'm sure it's every concert regardless of the act these days, is that looking from the back towards the stage, one sees the small screens of all the cameras have replaced lighters. That sucks for one reason.. all the lighters in the air provided cover for lighting the bowls and doobies as more and more venues went to non smoking.
              "I wanna take this time to say that this is real whiskey here... the only people who put iced tea in Jack Daniel's bottles is The Clash, baby!"

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by RealTwisted
                One thing I'm chuckling at with the crowds, and I'm sure it's every concert regardless of the act these days, is that looking from the back towards the stage, one sees the small screens of all the cameras have replaced lighters. That sucks for one reason.. all the lighters in the air provided cover for lighting the bowls and doobies as more and more venues went to non smoking.
                Nice...it's the "little things", right?
                Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

Comment

• Marcus
                  Roadie
                  • Oct 2004

Based on what I'm seeing online, I have two theories regarding Dave so far on this tour.

1. Ed and Wolf are much better on this tour than on the last tour. If everything is relative, Dave is not standing out as the star of the show because he is not sharing the stage with a shy 16 year old and a sorta strange dude without a shirt, who was not sober a large part of the time. And that's a great thing!

2. Related to the above point, Dave is trying and working really hard to keep up. Seems like he is trying to top his previous best. He didn't write lyrics about berries and bananas, he cares about this band, and the product they are selling. And that's another great thing.

I mean, he can always sing in a lower key. The fact that he is trying and reaching so hard makes me happy, even if he falls short. Then again based on what I've seen online I don't see the big deal. But that's just me.

Comment

• MUSICMANN
                    Sniper
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Dave's PA Rental
                    Here's my 2 cents from what i've seen and heard so far...if you get offended with any negative comments about DLR, do not read any further.

Ed, Wolf and Alex are absolutely killing it. I really can't believe how great they are. They get A+s.

Dave has been ok. In my opinion, he has been the weak link, and i'm really dumbfounded as to why Dave would allow his performance to be so...average.

It didn't bother me back in the day when Dave would forget the fucking words. Eddie was wasted, Dave was wasted...they were in their late 20's early 30's and could pull that off. Now it does bother me. I don't need screams anymore. I don't need leg kicks anymore. Fuck it, I don't even care if they stand in the same spot all night...

I don't expect Dave to try and reproduce what the lyrics sounded like on the albums. Don't want that at all. But there are those moments in almost every song that I have seen from these few shows, where the difference in vocals is so distracting, IT TAKES ME OUT OF THE SONG.

How fucking bad-ass would it be if Dave could be as in-the-pocket with the lyrics as the band is with the music?

I think that the vast majority of the performances so far have been really good-to-great. But it's those distracting moments in each song where Dave is freestyling that bring my rating of him down to just "average".
                    This right here proves that Dave is not the weak link. I personally don't think there is one. What i do believe is happening is that Dave and Wolf on certain songs are not meshing as good as others and it comes out as Dave registering higher on certain songs pre chorus's, thus it sounding a bit off. GGB from lat night is a perfect example of them not quite coming together as good as when MA was there. No doubt in my mind that, in time, that will be worked out and they will sound as good on every song as they do on WIL.

Comment

• rocknrolldork
                      Foot Soldier
                      • Jun 2004

Longest day at work ever. Ugh.

Like any good Van Halen show should start, we started in the parking lot. Giving a salute to old No. 7. Met up with Takin Whiskey and his fam at the brewpub after 3 hours of pre-game at Coaches. So being pumped and primed by 830-ish, it was time to make the way. We walked in and were not checked in the least. Lifted my arms, showed my waist and removed my hat. Dude didn't touch anyone. I knew this would be a great night.

Lights stayed dim between bands and dropped around 848. Bummed in the suites. Drank free and way too much over the course of the night. Ed, Alex and Wolf were on from note one. They played great the entire night. Dave was Dave. He's almost 60 and struggled at times, but hey...... Dave was there to host the party and he did a great job of it! I could not believe we got HAIL. The band killed it except for the rough ending. GGB was badass but have to admit that I was kind of wanting Outta Love Again. I spoke with some of the crew after the show and they all said VH have been getting along great. Ed feels "inspired to play." That definitely shows. They also said the band has played at least 10 tunes that have not yet shown up in the set. They wouldn't say what or when but hinted at more deep cuts coming during the tour. Wolf's sound is HUGE! Really bumping and thumping, which is what was missing during the 07-08 tour. That kid can play too. He is the real deal. You could see the VH chemistry between the 3 twins. Ed's solo and playing in general may be the best I have ever heard him play live or boot. Dave was sure happy to be home and it showed. There's not much else to be said that hasn't already been said other than I about jumped out of my skin when they played HAIL. I haven't heard that one live and in person since 81.

As far as Dave Lindquist's review of the show goes... He's pretty much is spot on. Dave has pretty good musical taste. His 1st concert may have been Survivor or whatever, but mine was the Osmonds and I'm sure there are bunches of people on here who saw shitty bands their 1st time out. He's a big CVH fan and probably would have written more than his 300 words or whatever, but he just lost his mom and I'm sure being at and reviewing the show was the last thing he wanted to do even if it was VH. So prayers and thoughts to Dave. I hope he can get another show so he can enjoy it a bit more.

My wife was uber-pissed last night. Partly because I was pretty drunk when I got home but me keeping on laughing and asking her to take her panties off sure didn't help. lol. She's much better now though.

It has been the longest day ever. Going to bed.

Comment

• FALCO
                        Groupie
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by MUSICMANN
                        This right here proves that Dave is not the weak link. I personally don't think there is one. What i do believe is happening is that Dave and Wolf on certain songs are not meshing as good as others and it comes out as Dave registering higher on certain songs pre chorus's, thus it sounding a bit off. GGB from lat night is a perfect example of them not quite coming together as good as when MA was there. No doubt in my mind that, in time, that will be worked out and they will sound as good on every song as they do on WIL.

Women In Love was perfect... and except for a few unnecessary journeys into the high range, so was Girl Gone Bad... THIS is the David Lee Roth that should be on every song... cool low voice, swagger and attitude... again... confusing...

\m/ \m/
                        NEW Wicked Maraya coming in 2015!!!
                        'Lifetime In Hell' (unreleased 1991) and 2 NEW songs!!!
                        "A little more volume in the headphones please..."

Comment

• ELVIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Dave's PA Rental

Thank you...

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                            Thank you...
                            whiny bitch...
                            Roth Army Icon
                            First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• SNIPER
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Jun 2004

You gonna take that shit, E? what happen to TCB!?

Comment

• SNIPER
                                Crazy Ass Mofo
                                • Jun 2004

I am starting to see a lot of this guy in Dave's act.

Comment

Working...