X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • guwapo_rocker
    Sniper
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DONNIEP
    I swear to fucking God, if this turns into another "I'm a real fan because I saw Van Halen back in the day" I will shoot my computer....

Did your computer see Van Halen back in the day?
    WE'RE ON A MISSION FROM ROTH.

Comment

• RealTwisted
      Groupie
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
      It's kind of like Woodstock. I have yet to meet anyone who was actually there that said it was fun or enjoyable but they can say they were there.
      We were able to enjoy it as we planned ahead, every detail, from what we would wear and when, to what we would consume and when, as well as how to get it into the festival. We were always meticulous in proper planning, to the point some friends couldn't understand the binges we would do, along with the activities. We knew the desert as we had camped out there before.. We knew the drugs. We were massive party animals but never had medical or legal troubles because we planned ahead. We knew we had to level our buzz for 12 + hours, and we knew we had to eat as well.... this was our ultimate test/adventure and it worked well. Having the girls helped when it got really cold at night.

Sick Quote of the day there: They had these showers like at the beach were you could wet yourself down... some guy standing off to the side said "wait until they turn on the gas" LOL
      "I wanna take this time to say that this is real whiskey here... the only people who put iced tea in Jack Daniel's bottles is The Clash, baby!"

Comment

• RealTwisted
        Groupie
        • Jun 2004

Somebody Get Me A Doctor - Van Halen, Auburn Hills Mi 2/20/12
        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
        "I wanna take this time to say that this is real whiskey here... the only people who put iced tea in Jack Daniel's bottles is The Clash, baby!"

Comment

• FALCO
          Groupie
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
          A few vids up now bot no GGB yet.

DTNA sounds bizarre.
          Jesus F. Christ... what the HELL is DLR doing on DTNA???

It's Dave or NOTHING for me (do not even acknowledge the replacement singer) but for fuck's sake... WHY is he rearranging all the melodies and pitch/octave to sing in??? That strained high voice sounds just plain horrific...

I'll keep saying it... The 3 Twins are a fucking freight train and Dave is bringing up the caboose on much of what I've been seeing of the LIVE clips
          (ADKOT kills and I haven't stopped listening to it for those who are confused about what I am critiquing) ... It is seriously bothering me as to what I am hearing and I can only assume there is a problem with Dave vocally... and it has NOTHING to do with the quality of the vids... I have been singing for 29 years... those who do can tell the difference... it is saddening me to hear some of this stuff... it seems his vocal strength (that he DID have in 07/08) is quickly diminishing...

I know the term "sheep" is used about the other forum... but I cannot be one and say that Dave is sounding good on alot of the songs... he's not 100% terrible... but damn stuff like DTNA makes me shake my head... the way he sang Women In Love was brilliant... normal register, swagger, attitude... I don't understand why he is insisting on changing so many of the melodies...

ugh...
          NEW Wicked Maraya coming in 2015!!!
          'Lifetime In Hell' (unreleased 1991) and 2 NEW songs!!!
          "A little more volume in the headphones please..."

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Anything new Dave has added frankly sucks balls. Dump the head set and go back to singing the way you used to. You are not a high register singer.
            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by RealTwisted
              We were able to enjoy it as we planned ahead, every detail, from what we would wear and when, to what we would consume and when, as well as how to get it into the festival. We were always meticulous in proper planning, to the point some friends couldn't understand the binges we would do, along with the activities. We knew the desert as we had camped out there before.. We knew the drugs. We were massive party animals but never had medical or legal troubles because we planned ahead. We knew we had to level our buzz for 12 + hours, and we knew we had to eat as well.... this was our ultimate test/adventure and it worked well. Having the girls helped when it got really cold at night.

Sick Quote of the day there: They had these showers like at the beach were you could wet yourself down... some guy standing off to the side said "wait until they turn on the gas" LOL
              Four of us piled into a Porsche Targa and headed off from Sun Valley, Idaho to San Bernadino, CA right after the last day of high school for the year ended. It was like going through deep space in a Soyuz capsule and not a whole lotta room for extra shit. We didn't really plan anything we just went.
              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• damngoodtimes
                Sniper
                • Jan 2004

If it got posted in here and i missed it, I apologize, but a question: same 4 songs from ADKOT? did they work in B&F?

also, same no-encore deal?
                David Lee Roth's the greatest motherfucker who ever lived!
                — Brian Moore (@brianpmoore666) June 26, 2012

Comment

• sadaist
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                  I swear to fucking God, if this turns into another "I'm a real fan because I saw Van Halen back in the day" I will shoot my computer....
                  Well, my first Van Halen show was 5150. I couldn't see them for 1984 tour because I was a bit too young to really have any money or Mom allow me to go. Was 13. So just cause someone saw them in the old days doesn't make them any more or less hardcore than anyone else. Just makes them older....LOL
                  “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Marcus
                    Roadie
                    • Oct 2004

Considering it's only the second show of the tour, the clips sound great. I'm sure they are still experimenting with a few things to see what works. Maybe another slight set list adjustment will happen next show...

Comment

• sadaist
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by FALCO
                      Jesus F. Christ... what the HELL is DLR doing on DTNA???

ugh...

Here's hoping he self corrects / adjusts quickly. That was my fav tune from the 07 tour.
                      “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Comment

• guwapo_rocker
                          Sniper
                          • Jan 2004

I'll Wait:
                          WE'RE ON A MISSION FROM ROTH.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                            • Dec 2003

Van Halen rocks like old times at the Palace
                            February 21, 2012 | 3 Comments

By Brian McCollum

David Lee Roth had the big kicks, Eddie Van Halen had the hot licks, and a sold-out crowd at the Palace of Auburn Hills got its fill of good-time rock ‘n’ roll Monday night.

Dropping by metro Detroit for the first time since its 2007 reunion tour, Van Halen arrived with two hours of vintage hard-rock hits and a serving of material from the new “A Different Kind of Truth.”

Show officials declined to release attendance numbers, but the multigenerational crowd appeared on par with previous Palace audiences in the 15,000 range.

If it often had the feel of an early tour stop by a band still working into its groove – well, that’s exactly what it was. The Palace was night two on a lengthy U.S. tour that started Saturday night, and there were moments – like a shaky “I’ll Wait” – when the kinks were apparent.

Still, a twirling, wiggling front man Roth and the squalling guitar fire of Eddie Van Halen offered ample party energy as the band chugged through songs such as “Runnin’ With the Devil,” “(Oh) Pretty Woman” and “Panama.”

The ’07 tour had been attended by a sense of mystery, a venture into the unknown, as Roth linked back up with his old band mates for the first time in two decades. Monday night felt more like a comfy night with old friends. The interplay between Roth and Eddie Van Halen seemed natural and good-spirited, the roles easy and unforced.

The guitarist largely kept to his station at stage left, occasionally joined at the mic by his son, bassist Wolfgang Van Halen. It was, as always, his show when he wanted it to be, whether sending squalls of sonic fire rolling through “Unchained,” or standing among billowing smoke as he masterfully crafted the multicolored solo that became “Eruption.”

Wolfgang — who had just hit driving age the last time the band rolled through town — showed a cool but unobtrusive poise as he locked in with his uncle Alex Van Halen on drums.

It was clear no one remains more charged by this latest Van Halen chapter than Roth, who was at his showy, schmaltzy best as he worked through a series of sparkly outfits, hamming it up and giving his speak-singing baritone its best go.

An abundance of black T-shirts, a few headbands and a jammed smoking patio before the show gave the night an ’80s throwback vibe on a low-key Monday night. And while the crowd was game for new tunes like “Tattoo” and “She’s the Woman,” have no doubt: It was the classic fare these fans had come to hear, and it was left to numbers such as “Everybody Wants Some” and “Hot For Teacher” to draw the pumping fists.

After a flat reception for the new “The Trouble With Never,” Roth gently mocked the crowd as the band kicked into the old hit “Dance the Night Away."

“Well, I know this song!” he said playfully. “It’s one of my favorites!”
                            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                              • Dec 2003

Van Halen proves they still got it at Palace show
                              BY ADAM GRAHAM DETROIT NEWS POP MUSIC WRITER 2 COMMENTS

When Van Halen hit the road in 2007, the excitement was in seeing the band back together with lead singer David Lee Roth for the first time in more than 20 years.

But that's the thing about reunion tours: you can only do them once. So now, five years later as Van Halen hits the road again, is the magic still there?

Monday night at a sold-out Palace of Auburn Hills, Van Halen -- back with Roth in the driver's seat and supporting the recently released "A Different Kind of Truth" -- proved it can still kickstart a party. The group still sounds as powerful as it did in the '70s, the '80s, the '90s and even on that '07 tour, and it's a safe bet that if Van Halen makes it to the '20s, it will still sound just as huge.

That doesn't mean there weren't some kinks to work out. Monday's show was only the second date on the group's 2012 tour, and it sometimes played like rehearsal for the opening show. Video screens malfunctioned early on, and Roth openly chided the screen's operators, comparing them to "the guys working the spotlights at Pearl Harbor." After introducing the new song "China Town," a beat passed and Roth asked, "that's the right song, isn't it?" During "Pretty Woman," Roth asked the lighting guys to turn off the lights behind the massive video screen, in the middle of the song's chorus. And late in the show, Roth nearly lost his footing after hitting one of his patented roundhouse kicks.

Those were the rough spots. But you don't go to a Van Halen show for technical perfection, you go for the vibe, and Monday's show had a hard-partying crowd in high spirits. The band stormed the stage to the opening sounds of "You Really Got Me" and immediately kicked into high gear, with Roth spinning some sort of ninja stick like a baton twirler on a caffeine binge. The stage was a bare bones set-up with Alex Van Halen's drums atop a small set of stairs and a gargantuan video screen anchoring the set, and it gave David Lee Roth, Eddie Van Halen and bassist Wolfgang Van Halen plenty of room to roam free. Wolfgang seemed much more comfortable and confident on stage than he did on the last tour, and Eddie could still move mountains with his guitarwork, though his mobility has been limited since even the last tour (and this time around, he kept his shirt on). Despite all that, the night was really all about Roth.

Roth isn't so much a frontman or a lead singer as he is a master of ceremonies; he's a rock star, a game show host and a circus ringleader all in one. Working his own dancefloor in the center of the stage, he kicked, shimmied, salsa danced, did karate and performed any other kinds of moves he could think of, all while wearing the world's biggest grin across his face. He's as expressive as a silent film actor and he's got charisma by the caseload, and that's not ever likely to change. He's a treat to watch.

That wasn't enough to stop the show from dipping in its flabby midsection, following Alex Van Halen's Caribbean-flavored drum solo and the show's fourth new song, the sloppy "Trouble With Never." And a catwalk that extended into the crowd was woefully underused, with Roth only venturing out onto it once late into the show before quickly making his way back to the stage.

The classics still roared with that timeless Van Halen sound though, with "Hot For Teacher," "Beautiful Girls," "Panama" and "Dance the Night Away" recalling the band's heyday. And Eddie's late-show solo was on a level of technical mastery that was befuddling.

However, the No. 1 thing Van Halen has going for it in 2012 is it's still Van Halen, and it turns out that still carries a lot of weight.

In an inspired pairing, Kool and the Gang opened Monday's show, and set the evening's tone early on with a hits-packed 50-minute set that had the crowd grooving as it got situated for the evening.
                              Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Zing!
                                Veteran
                                • Oct 2011

Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
                                Did your computer see Van Halen back in the day?
                                My computer sees Van Halen back in the day every day.
                                My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

Working...