X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SNIPER
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by kwame k
    I'll Wait was killer live and believe me I wasn't a fan of that song from the 07/08 vids I've seen but last night they nailed it! Dave got goose bumps and was rubbing his arms at the end!
    I will always remember "I'll Wait." At the Reno show Dave was singing it to me and my GF making eye contact. Talk about goose bump moments. geez.

Comment

• ZahZoo
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
      I've noticed this on some of the videos too... Dave's vocal range just isn't what it used to be. It's to be expected of a 57 year old, and not a big deal to me. If he tries to overcompensate by singing in a strange, unnatural manner, that's a problem.
      I've also noticed when he's trying to hit that high register crap... he's physically straining his neck forward as well as his chest while compressing his abdomen. He's literally stretching his vocal cords beyond their natural range. Then the added compression of his diaphragm doesn't allow him to push the air needed to ring the higher frequency of his vocal cords. Any vocal coaches in the audience must be cringing...

If Dave doesn't blow out his voice on his own I'd be surprised. What's a higher risk is if he picks up even a minor cold or upper respiratory virus and tries to continue singing this way he'll seriously blow out his voice and it will take weeks/months to recover.

I'd advise him to dial it back a few notches and use the huge sound system to give him the punch...
      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• SNIPER
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Jun 2004

Something to think is the room they are playing. Some rooms just sound like shit and there is nothing you can do about it. The Quest arena in Boise for example is an echo mess. You almost can't tell what song a band is playing but the Taco Bell arena down the road is clear as a whistle. Just sayin'

Comment

• FALCO
          Groupie
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
          I've also noticed when he's trying to hit that high register crap... he's physically straining his neck forward as well as his chest while compressing his abdomen. He's literally stretching his vocal cords beyond their natural range. Then the added compression of his diaphragm doesn't allow him to push the air needed to ring the higher frequency of his vocal cords. Any vocal coaches in the audience must be cringing...

If Dave doesn't blow out his voice on his own I'd be surprised. What's a higher risk is if he picks up even a minor cold or upper respiratory virus and tries to continue singing this way he'll seriously blow out his voice and it will take weeks/months to recover.

I'd advise him to dial it back a few notches and use the huge sound system to give him the punch...
          Be careful... you are actually making sense... apparently it is frowned upon... lol... (joking, light hearted tone, smiles all around)

\m/ \m/
          NEW Wicked Maraya coming in 2015!!!
          'Lifetime In Hell' (unreleased 1991) and 2 NEW songs!!!
          "A little more volume in the headphones please..."

Comment

• private parts
            Sniper
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Jagermeister
            No shit. I have a bad feeling about that wood. One other thing. Where are the monitors at? How the fuck can they hear what they are playing?
            Like I said. Its all fun and games until someone gets hurt or puts an eye out.
            Ear piece monitors?
            sigpic" You ever notice when I scream I sound like Mr. Bill on acid" DLR

Comment

• hambon4lif
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Jun 2004

Two words Ah-Mazing.......... and yes, I was focused in on Al most of the time but it was difficult to stay focused because Ed was on fire, so I was staring in disbelief at him, then all of a sudden Dave does something and you're looking over at him. At that point Wolfie hits a killer riff and you're staring at him. Then you realize you missed one of Al's rolls and you're like "Fuck, I can't take it all in!"
              Awesome! Obviously alot of people are having the same problem of trying to keep up with it all. Especially the reviewers that are writing it as the "Dave and/or Eddie show", but the one thing I'm noticing from the clips is that Al is really bringing the pain. He's hitting that fucking kit hard!! Having his solo later in the set instead of 2 songs in is kinda different.

I also noticed that they're working out the kinks here and there, but I'm really digging what I've seen so far....

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by FALCO
                Be careful... you are actually making sense... apparently it is frowned upon...
                That's not true...

Just relax dude and get ready for your next ass-kickin' !!

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

Originally posted by FALCO
                  I will retract out of respect to the common belief that, regardless of whatever criticisms, David Lee Roth is the ONLY singer for Van Halen and a Rock God...

\m/ \m/
                  Thank you...

Welcome to the Army...

Comment

• FALCO
                    Groupie
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                    That's not true...

Just relax dude and get ready for your next ass-kickin' !!

Good To Go!!!

\m/ \m/
                    NEW Wicked Maraya coming in 2015!!!
                    'Lifetime In Hell' (unreleased 1991) and 2 NEW songs!!!
                    "A little more volume in the headphones please..."

Comment

• ZahZoo
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

It ain't the room's sound acoustics driving Dave to sing the way he is... he wouldn't hear it anyways. His ear monitors are coming right off the sound board on the side of the stage.

If his voice were a racing engine... he's running it way too lean and above red line. Only a short matter of time and it'll go up in smoke.
                      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• kwame k
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
                        Yeah... you can see this on the ChinaTown video Sesh just posted. Dave's timing is clearly very off at multiple points... I wonder if he's having trouble hearing the band with that headset.
                        He was off in spots but he'd correct himself and really, if you're just a casual fan, you'd never even know. Al fucked up in the middle break down of YRGM by half a beat and had a huge shit ass eating smile on his face when he did! He literally cracked himself up
                        Originally posted by vandeleur
                        E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• private parts
                          Sniper
                          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Mr Walker
                          Are there a lot of colored people at the show to see Kool And The Gang?
                          just wondering.
                          Damn! Haven't heard that since my old gran pappy told me my high school basketball team wasn't going to win many games till we got some colored boys on the team.
                          He was right btw.
                          sigpic" You ever notice when I scream I sound like Mr. Bill on acid" DLR

Comment

• kwame k
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by hambon4lif
                            Awesome! Obviously alot of people are having the same problem of trying to keep up with it all. Especially the reviewers that are writing it as the "Dave and/or Eddie show", but the one thing I'm noticing from the clips is that Al is really bringing the pain. He's hitting that fucking kit hard!! Having his solo later in the set instead of 2 songs in is kinda different.

I also noticed that they're working out the kinks here and there, but I'm really digging what I've seen so far....
                            Al's playing is still evolving and he's been hitting through the drums and his wrists are fluid and forceful!

There were hiccups throughout the set but really Van Halen has always had fuck ups live.....I'm just amazed at people saying it now like it's some recent development!
                            E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• kwame k
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by SNIPER
                              They might have side fills blowing the full mix on to the stage. Thats better I think. Monitors always sound thin and weak.
                              They only had one on Ed's side and one on Wolfie's side, from what I could tell!

Al and Dave had in-ears!

Comment

• hambon4lif
                                Crazy Ass Mofo
                                • Jun 2004

Al's playing is still evolving and he's been hitting through the drums and his wrists are fluid and forceful!

There were hiccups throughout the set but really Van Halen has always had fuck ups live.....I'm just amazed at people saying it now like it's some recent development!
                                That's the one thing I miss about the pre-internet days. Nobody sat around splitting every single ass hair of every single show. If I wanted technical proficiency, I'd go to the fuckin' opera...or Queensryche. LOL!

This is Van Halen, and if they're up there having a good time, then the chicks in the audience are bumpin' and grindin' and having a good time, which means I'm having a good time.
                                I really couldn't give any less of a shit about anything else.

Comment

Working...