• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fryingdutchman
    Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by sadaist
    So is she......

I'm out of "Thanks"....but that was fucking hilarious!!

Originally posted by perilouspete
    fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• Carmine
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by fryingdutchman
      Awwwww dude....don't tempt me.

If I just took off like that I think I would come home to the locks changed and all of my shit out on the front lawn....

Comment

• Carmine
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Apr 2004

I took care of it, bro! LMFAO!

Comment

• Mr Walker
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Jan 2004

From Lou

1. Unchained 5:07
          2. Runnin' With The Devil 3:43
          3. She's The Woman 2:59
          4. Romeo Delight 4:57
          5. Tattoo 4:32
          6. Everybody Wants Some!! 7:20
          7. Somebody Get Me A Doctor 3:44
          8. China Town 3:21
          9. Jamie's Cryin' 4:15
          10. (Oh) Pretty Woman 3:00
          11. Drum Solo 2:57
          12. You Really Got Me 4:11
          13. Blood And Fire 4:21
          14. Dance The Night Away 3:47
          15. I'll Wait 5:05
          16. Hot For Teacher 5:22
          17. Women In Love... 4:19
          18. Girl Gone Bad 4:42
          19. Beautiful Girls 3:58
          20. Ice Cream Man 7:19
          21. Panama 3:56
          22. Guitar Solo (Eruption, Spanish Fly, Cathedral) 8:30
          23. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love 5:17
          24. Jump 5:51

Notes:
          This was Van Halen's first ever performance in Reading, PA. While it's not the most convenient place to get to, it was kinda cool for one time to take in a VH show at a 7,000 seat arena in the middle of nowhere. These are the kinds of places Van Halen would play 30 years ago when they made it a point to hit virtually every city in the USA, like Pocatello ID, Salina KS, Johnson City TN, Binghamton NY, etc. So I pretended like I was travelling back in time, even moreso than one normally would for a VH show.

Another nice warm recording, my most centered and least echo-y of the four I've done so far. I wish the high frequencies had turned out better and thus I can't give it an "A." I had lots of buffoons around me including many people who tried to sneak down to the floor, only to be removed by security. Unfortunately, it got to the point where a security guard asked to see my ticket during "Blood and Fire." Thankfully he didn't notice the mics clipped to my collar. Also, I'm thankful that the mics cut out a decent amount of the extracurricular activity around me.

So we got a bit of a curveball tonight, with Jamie's Cryin' performed for the first time since July 3, 2008, and the first performance of Blood And Fire since the tour rehearsals in February. The word from a credible source is that Light Up The Sky was rehearsed three times at soundcheck and was on the official setlist, but was scratched at the last minute because Roth did not want to perform it. Girl Gone Bad was played instead.

The performance by the Van Halens was tight as has been the norm on this tour. Roth remains the weak link though he was better tonight than in Atlantic City. He at least pretended he wanted to be there, he engaged the crowd and he did some improv, especially during Everybody Wants Some. He also scolded the crew before She's The Woman and during I'll Wait. I'm not sure why this continues to be a problem on this tour.

Comment

• Momshell
            Veteran
            • Jan 2012

ditto!
            Stay Frosty!

THE DAY IS DONZO LET'S HAVE SOME FUNZO!!

Comment

• Mr Walker
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Jan 2004

Fucking Lou is making me late for work as I wait for his show to download!!!

Comment

• Carmine
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Mr Walker
                From Lou...The word from a credible source is that Light Up The Sky was rehearsed three times at soundcheck and was on the official setlist, but was scratched at the last minute because Roth did not want to perform it.
                Come on, Dave...give us a break...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Mr Walker
                  Fucking Lou is making me late for work
                  I hope you at least gave him a reach around.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Momshell
                    Here it is.....Blood and Fire!!! Including "I told ya I was coming back!!!"
                    He said 'I told ya we' at the warm up gig.

I think he enjoyed the cheer there, we may see it again although he's struggling to reach it live.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Carmine
                      Come on, Dave...give us a break...
                      It's maybe just too high for him now...

Comment

• Zing!
                        Veteran
                        • Oct 2011

Damn... now THAT'S a great set-list! Could have been slightly better with LUTS, but what the hell - Dave's voice sounded fatigued in the vid for BAF halfway through the set, so maybe that's a good thing... for now. Hope they drop TTWN and keep Blood And Fire permanently (or at least through the month of May...) Kudos to all who saw this intimate VH experience!
                        My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• Carmine
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                          It's maybe just too high for him now...
                          I hear ya, Sesh...I'd like to hear what it sounded like though...I wish someone could grab some sound check audio...

Comment

• Deklon2
                            Roth Army Recruit
                            • Mar 2012

Not at all. I thought it was funny too!

Originally posted by Momshell
                            I said I'm sorry! Realized after typing it that although I cracked myself up, I sounded like a bitch.

Comment

• Deklon2
                              Roth Army Recruit
                              • Mar 2012

LOL...You got me!

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                              I thought you "weren't comfortable" here.....

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                                • Dec 2003

Review: Van Halen rocks, but vocals rocky
                                Jon Fassnacht
                                Reading Eagle

For much of Monday night's concert, David Lee Roth's vocals struggled to be heard clearly above the powerful racket being made by his Van Halen bandmates.

That wasn't a bad thing.

The one-of-a-kind lead singer, back leading the band that made him famous 30 years ago, gave a packed Sovereign Center a wildly uneven performance.

Prancing around in front of a mammoth, high-definition screen, Diamond Dave, 57, certainly was fun to watch. He unleashed spin kicks, contorted himself into a variety of positions, twirled the mic stand like a martial artist and seduced a woman in the front row during an extended take of "Everybody Wants Some."

But his vocals were all over the place. He forgot words, he had trouble staying in time and his attempts at hitting some difficult notes - for example, the "Can't you see what I mean" line in show closer "Jump" - were often cringe-inducing.

A shame, because the cymbal-heavy chugging backbeat provided by the Van Halen family members sounded as powerful and infectious as ever.

Really, is it possible to hear the first minute of "Hot for Teacher" and not be ready to take on the world?

Guitarist Eddie and drummer Alex, both pushing 60, sound like musicians half their age.

Bassist Wolfgang - Eddie's son - actually is half their age.

The 21-year-old wasn’t even born until the band was well into the Sammy Hagar era.

The younger Van Halen was almost a nonentity, his contributions overpowered by the ferocious playing of his father and uncle. His lone moment in the spotlight was the brief one-note intro to "Runnin' With the Devil."

Not surprisingly, the band culled nearly half of the 22-song set from its 1978 self-titled debut and "1984," the mega-selling albums that bookended Roth's first stint with the band.

Also not surprisingly, many of those songs - "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love," "You Really Got Me," "Ice Cream Man," "I'll Wait," "Panama" - got the biggest responses.

But the band dug deep a few times for the diehards in attendance, dusting off early rockers "Romeo Delight" and "Somebody Get Me a Doctor."

"A Different Kind of Truth," this year's reunion album, also comprised a nice chunk of the 110-minute set. Of the five songs played from the album, the single "Tattoo" and the pounding "China Town" made the biggest impression.

The set also featured two unaccompanied solos: a brief rumble by Alex and a lengthy excursion by Eddie, which included a heavy dose of his trademark tapping and incorporated segments of his legendary solo piece, "Eruption."

Fans likely did a double-take when they saw who the band tapped to be its opening act.

About the only things Van Halen and R&B/funk veterans Kool and the Gang have in common is a string of hits in the '80s and namesake band members.

Only two founding members of the group remain, including bassist Robert "Kool" Bell, but the groove remains.

Dressed entirely in white, the 10-piece band couldn't have done a better job kick-starting the evening, with 50 minutes of nearly nonstop energy.

The interplay was tight and the arrangements were loose, allowing the band members to solo, which they did, and get the crowd to chant, which they did.

Kool and the Gang wisely chose to bypass its popular ballads, sticking to '70s funk classics like "Ladies' Night," "Hollywood Swingin' " and "Jungle Boogie," and '80s rock-tinged hits like "Tonight" and "Misled."

By the time the set came to a close with - what else? - "Celebration," much of the arena was on its feet, singing along.

Contact Jon Fassnacht: 610-371-5017 or jfassnacht@readingeagle.com.
                                Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

Working...