X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • diamondsgirl
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Apr 2004

Loons...we've missed you....awww reep!
    “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Agree with Northern Girl and Lumbergh.

Roth needs another all-original album of rockers before doing something loaded with blues covers. He's got a little bit of ground to make up after Diamond Dave.
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Loons The Great

I'd likes to hear Diamond Dave work up,"Goodbye, Old Paint," or "When I Was A Cowboy,"--two ol' Country N Western tunes...the latter a Lead Belly numbah...

Comment

• Hardrock69
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Feb 2005

Just listen to his version of "Nighlife".

Dave was the "Soul" part of the "Heart & Soul" of VH.

ALL of the world's GREATEST rock bands and artists began as blues acts.

The Beatles
          The Rolling Stones
          The Jimi Hendrix Experience
          Big Brother & The Holding Company (with Sister Janis Joplin)
          Led Zeppelin
          Deep Purple
          Black Sabbath
          Judas Priest
          Eric Clapton (the bastard step-child of Robert Johnson)
          Jeff Beck

No matter how far away from the Blues musical trends go, it is alwasy BLOOZE MUSIC that will get everyone rockin' again.

Dave needs to stay away from cover toons for awhile.
          But he has got the soul of a bluesman.

Someone said on page 1 of this thread something about having a "black" voice.
          I have a relevent story to tell.

Back in 1976 I saw ZZ Top on the Fandango Tour (The event that almost literally caused me to buy an electric guitar, and changed my life forever). I had never seen a picture of the band (pre-MTV era) so I had no idea what they looked like. That afternoon, I walked into the arena, and sat there watching as ZZ Top did their sound check.

I thought they were roadies or something.

Why?

Because I had only heard "La Grange", and I thought the man who sang that song was a black man!

So later on that night, it fried my brain when the lights went down, ZZ Top was introduced, and out came the same three white guys I had seen that afternoon going through some of their material at sound check.

Who proceeded to tear my face off.

Sure I can credit ZZ Top with changing my life, but they were only the messengers.

The MESSAGE was the low-down, nasty, funky, gut-bucket blooze.....

My life has not been the same ever since...and that was alomst 30 years ago....

Dave must have been a brother in a previous life.

Comment

• Loons The Great

Great post!!

I've always dug those lil' blues ditties that Roth kicks out nah an' then...like "Got My Mojo Workin" in the middle of "Yankee Rose"...or some slide 'fore "Ice Cream Man"...or "Kansas City" in the middle of "YRGM"...or a blues lesson in de middle of "Everybody Wants Some"...or a lowdown, blues beltin' intro to a tune...or "Fool For Your Stockings" from the BBQ video...
            Last edited by Guest; 05-09-2005, 01:12 PM.

Comment

• Loons The Great

Howza 'bout an album with Diamond Dave supplyin' the vocals and harmonica and Johnny Lang and Kenny Wayne Shephard supplyin' the guitars...

Comment

• diamondsgirl
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Apr 2004

That'd be very cool.

I was JUST listening to The Full Bug (one of my all time fav DLR/CVH tunes) and Daves voice is absolutely incredible on that tune. Specially the beginning

More blues Dave...
                “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

• diamondsgirl
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Apr 2004

I want Dave to sing Can't Ya Hear Me Knockin' and layin down the harp on it too

Comment

• Loons The Great

Awesome toon right dere, I saw The Black Crowes work it up in 2001. Makes me think of the movie,"Blow," with Johnny Depp. Along with Ram Jam's,"Black Betty."

Comment

• diamondsgirl
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Apr 2004

ever hear the original Black Betty, Loons?

Comment

• Loons The Great

I likes Lead Belly's version fo' sho'...

Comment

• diamondsgirl
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Apr 2004

and that original tune isn't even about a woman but a leather strap used to whip prisoners

Comment

• DLRisGOD
                            Roadie
                            • Apr 2005

S & M? I think Dave would be into THAT for sho'!!
                            Without DLR in the lineup, Van Halen is merely Rat Salade...

Comment

• diamondsgirl
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Apr 2004

In my dreams he is soooo into it.

Comment

• DLRisGOD
                                Roadie
                                • Apr 2005

Well he was wearing hot, sweaty LEATHER mere inches away from you, diamondsgirl...Maybe The Diamond One was dropping clues to ya?
                                Without DLR in the lineup, Van Halen is merely Rat Salade...

Comment

Working...