Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dave_is_vh
    Sniper
    • Apr 2004

I think most Dave fans would prefer that he NOT do covers. His original stuff is so much better than his covers. Doing covers is a waste of his talent. An easy way out of doing the hard work of writing really good songs.

His three worst CDs are Diver Down, Diamond Dave, and Crazy From The Heat. And what do those CDs have in common? They are mostly covers.
    "Bumper sticker on my rocket's ass: go home, the earth is full." DLR

Comment

• Rikk
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by dave_is_vh
      I think most Dave fans would prefer that he NOT do covers. His original stuff is so much better than his covers. Doing covers is a waste of his talent. An easy way out of doing the hard work of writing really good songs.

His three worst CDs are Diver Down, Diamond Dave, and Crazy From The Heat. And what do those CDs have in common? They are mostly covers.
      I love DIVER DOWN!! I'd put that over A LIL AIN'T ENOUGH or YOUR FILTHY LITTLE MOUTH any day of the week.
      Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
      Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Warham
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Mar 2004

I dunno. I love Diver Down as well.

My feelings are similar to Rikk's. I'd take DD over any Dave solo record.

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
          ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

I still dont understand all the hatred for DD. The originals are smokin' hot, and the covers aint bad either. Any album that features Hang em' High, Secrets, and Little Guitars is automatically untouchable!

Comment

• Rikk
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Warham
            I dunno. I love Diver Down as well.

My feelings are similar to Rikk's. I'd take DD over any Dave solo record.
            Yup. DIVER DOWN has LITTLE GUITARS, HANG 'EM HIGH, SECRETS, THE FULL BUG...

It's actually one of my favorite VH albums.
            Roth Army Militia

Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Rikk
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
              I still dont understand all the hatred for DD. The originals are smokin' hot, and the covers aint bad either. Any album that features Hang em' High, Secrets, and Little Guitars is automatically untouchable!
              Yup. It's a fucking classic. And I really like some of the covers too. WHERE HAVE ALL THE GOOD TIMES GONE, BIG BAD BILL (IS SWEET WILLIAM NOW)...some great stuff.
              Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Loons The Great

Originally posted by Rikk

ROLLING STONES - Prodigal Son (actually an old blues tune)
                That's an ol' Reverend Robert Wilkins song yez yez I do belieb bippity boww a how how how howww nah nah...

Well well wellah...
                I hate it when clowns complain about covers...do Deadheads complain about all the covers the Grateful Dead did o'er the years? Do Zepheads complain about the amazin' blues, folk, rock, pop, and country tunes that Zep vetted up o'er the years? If youza true Van Halen fan(and VAN HALEN IS DAVE,...EDDIE...AL...and Mikey), then you should be diggin' your band revvin' up an' ol blues number...a ZZ Top blues a rocker...a Little Richard boogie...a Jimmy Reed blues...a Cheech and Chong riff...a Eddie Cochran/Who barn-stormer...

Does anybody whine and moan about Bob Dylan covering an' ol' Charlie Patton tune? Should anybody complain if the Rolling Stones work up,"Can't Turn You Loose?" ALL HELL NO! I likes it when Pearl Jam does a great Who cover, when Audioslave covers the White Stripes, when The White Stripes vett up a MC5 cut,& when The Black Crowes ended a show with,"Can't You Hear Me Knocking."

An' mos' of all, I really dig it when The King of the Blues, Loons the Great aka Blind Willie Babe Karo Lemon Turner III kicks it up a notch, drinks up a lil' scotch and plays a lil',"Hambone," by Sam Mitchell...that's the blues right there y'all...there 'tis nah nah YEZ YEZ YEZZAH!!!!!! Well well well...All right nah...Lemme tell y'all 'bout somethin' Ize kno'...MONEY BEATS SOUL E'ERY TIME Y'ALL come on nah yez yeah!!

Sho' Nuff' Yez Yes Ya Yeah

Comment

• dave_is_vh
                  Sniper
                  • Apr 2004

Little Guitars is probably Dave's greatest song, but one song doesn't make an album.

Covers are fine if a musician is untalented. But if you have mega talent like Dave and EVH, you are wasting your talent by playing covers.

Imagine how good Diver Down would have been if it was all original songs!
                  "Bumper sticker on my rocket's ass: go home, the earth is full." DLR

Comment

• Warham
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Mar 2004

Little Guitars is one of my faves. That alone makes the album a gem.

Comment

• Rikk
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

Little Guitars is one of my faves. That alone makes the album a gem.
                      Amen. SECRETS, HANG 'EM HIGH, THE FULL BUG and the others just confirm that this album is a gem.
                      Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Rikk
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Loons The Great
                        That's an ol' Reverend Robert Wilkins song yez yez I do belieb bippity boww a how how how howww nah nah...

Well well wellah...
                        I hate it when clowns complain about covers...do Deadheads complain about all the covers the Grateful Dead did o'er the years? Do Zepheads complain about the amazin' blues, folk, rock, pop, and country tunes that Zep vetted up o'er the years? If youza true Van Halen fan(and VAN HALEN IS DAVE,...EDDIE...AL...and Mikey), then you should be diggin' your band revvin' up an' ol blues number...a ZZ Top blues a rocker...a Little Richard boogie...a Jimmy Reed blues...a Cheech and Chong riff...a Eddie Cochran/Who barn-stormer...
                        Awww yes. I love the AUDIOSLAVE version of 7-NATION ARMY. I love the Zep takes on classic folk and blues. Just great stuff. Doing covers can be a VERY inspired thing.

Do you know when PRODIGAL SON dates from, Loons? That song fascinates me. It's easily my favorite off of BEGGAR'S BANQUET.
                        Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Warham
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Mar 2004

I don't even understand where all the loathing for doing covers comes from.

I'm a big Beach Boys fan and I'm glad that Dave did the cover for California Girls. It's fantastic. I loved hearing Carl Wilson in Dave's version.
                          Last edited by Warham; 11-17-2004, 03:08 PM.

Comment

• Rikk
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

I don't even understand where all the loathing for doing covers comes from.

I'm a big Beach Boys fan and I'm glad toat Dave did the cover for California Girls. It's fantastic. I loved hearing Carl Wilson in Dave's version.
                            I'm also a big Beach Boys fan! I would love to hear Dave try some more of their stuff...even something more melancholy like SAIL ON SAILOR!!
                            Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Switch84
                              Veteran
                              • Feb 2004

Anything by James Brown, Barry White, or The Ohio Players will make my day!

If he fucks it up, he'll be put in Switchybaby's time out corner....NAKED.

buwhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaa!!!
                              "He doesn't need to sell millions of records, he doesn't need to fill arenas, he doesn't need to be popular, he doesn't need your money, AND HE DOESN'T NEED YOU!"
                              Blackflag on DLR

Comment

• rustoffa
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Jan 2004

The Cramps practically made a career of it....
                                Joan Jett's "crimson and clover" makes the girls undies slide right off!

Comment

Working...