X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DavidLeeNatra
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Panamark
    Two six packs ? thats kinda wussy for a Rockstar.
    Maybe Dave was concerned that he wasnt drinking enough ?
    then the correct quote would be "your brother is DOWN to two six-packs a day"
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Great book. But even Roth admits he's as much to blame for the mudslinging in the press over the years.

I think Ed, Al and Mike just got lazy after the whole 1984 deal, and wanted to kick back and relax. The music after Roth left sounded like they were phoning it in. Seems like Dave just wanted to continue in high gear and the rest of Halen couldn't be bothered to keep up with him. Am sure the booze didn't help much.

As for 1996, there are points where I think Ed thought it would be something cool for the fans to do a couple of new songs with Dave, and nothing more....and it would also be a good way to insure the Best Of Vol 1 would sell well. Ed may have convinced himself that most people had forgotten about Roth over the previous decade +, and never expected the fallout when a full-blown reunion didn't materialize. Combined with the fact that he didn't want to share the spotlight with Dave again.

Then there are other points where I think Ed and Al just manipulated Dave into the whole scenario just to revive interest in Van Halen (each album after 5150 sold less than the one before it), with no intentions of doing anything long term at any point. They thought it would be 1986 all over again when Cherone joined. Just a lot of self-delusion going on.

Put it this way: Way more likely that Roth is tel;ing the truth about it than the Van Halens.
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• rustoffa
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

The bit about the flashpots always cracks me up."it was like the tet offensive"-DLR. Ahahahahaha!

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Sarge
          Ed and I hugged each other and cried at my father’s house. I said, "Ed, your brother is up to two six-packs a day. Maybe if we get ourselves square, down the line we can reconvene, and I would love nothing more than that." I don’t think he understood. We went our own ways.
          For two people who supposedly hate each other, there's some significant huggin' goin' on....

They hug when they broke the band up.....

They sure as hell hugged at the occasion seen below, and I still get goosebumps when I see it....

And it is for that reason that I STILL believe it will happen one day....
          Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
            For two people who supposedly hate each other, there's some significant huggin' goin' on....

They sure as hell hugged at the occasion seen below, and I still get goosebumps when I see it....

Ed just doesn't want to know. He's been without Dave so long, and spent so much time trying to convince everyone that he was Van Halen, that it would take an enormous amount of humility on Eddie's part to face the fact that he was at his best when Dave was in the band.

Dave initiated that hug at the VMA's. Dave was ready to go in 1996. Dave's been ready to go for about 8 years now. Ed's just got this combination of arrogance and confusion. He's still reeling from Van Halen 3 tanking, his wife leaving him, his cancer and his inability to lead a band with a consistent lineup, yet he can't bear to bury all the petty bullshit and get Roth back in the fold.

Ed's too tired to summon the energy he would need to create music with Dave. That level of intensity, clarity of focus and desire left him a long time ago. Ed wants to coast along and fiddle about with music that represents no challenge. He's just not up to Roth's game anymore.

Sure, as long as they're all still alive, a classic lineup reunion is possible, but Ed will take the chickenshit way out and do a Sam Halen reunion instead. Eddie can fob off any half-assed riff, and Hagar will be all too happy to break out the Hallmark cards and crib a few lines over it. Quality control went out the window after Roth left.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• TMR

This is what makes DLR so great!

Great thing he jumped ship or I would of never had the best record of all time!!!!!!!!

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan

no...fuck...no...DAVE called ed, DAVE wanted to stop mudslinging and to be at peace, DAVE brought back the REAL spirit of =VH= for a short moment and DAVE hugged ed...the brothers were just there and fucked it up...
                Roth Army Icon
                First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                  ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                  • Dec 2003

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
                  no...fuck...no...DAVE called ed, DAVE wanted to stop mudslinging and to be at peace, DAVE brought back the REAL spirit of =VH= for a short moment and DAVE hugged ed...the brothers were just there and fucked it up...
                  You guys may very well be right....

There's one major thing in my mind that still tells me that it's possible....

For all of the mudslinging that you mentioned, Edward Lodewijk has NEVER made anything close to a public statement that Dave would never again be the lead singer of Van Halen....

If his hatred for Dave reportedly is so intense, why hasn't he made that statement once in the last 20 years ??
                  Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Big Troubles
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Feb 2004

if you like it, tell a friend. If you don't like it, tell him too, 'cause dave will still be here!
                    "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

Working...