What would you include in a Classic VH Dave era DVD/CD Boxset?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Vivian Campbell
    When the box set comes... and it will... it will be Hagarized. AND they will charge you $100 bucks for it. This is my box set prophecy.

Just can't be bothered to pay for any Van Hagar to get to the classic stuff when they combine the lineups

Did it once with BOV1, both the CD and VHS tapes.

A Van Hagarized box set, or one that interlaces classic and Sam Halen, isn't gonna be able to get that kinda money out of me for a couple of previously unreleased classic nuggets.

Maybe at best they'll get me on the companion DVD if it has a equitable representaion between eras (that BOVI accompanying video...3 classic vids and the rest Van Hagar?! Nah, not gonna go down that route again), but if it is only available by buying the whole set/not sold separately, then fuck that shit!
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• DLR7884
      ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

I think Van Halen is greedy enough to put out a boxset for each era.

DLR7884
      I think they should.
      Originally Posted by WARF:
      DLR7884 - This guy is one bad ass sonafabitch... I've seen him destroy peoples posting careers in a single sentence.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DLR7884

DLR7884
        I think they should.
        you're wrong on that, buddy...they HAVE to mix it because spam era wouldn't sell for shit...as sam admitted in an interview "my van halen royalties are history"...nuff said
        Roth Army Icon
        First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• Wolverine

ONE OF THESE WOULD DO IT!!

Comment

• BIG GOOSE
            Roadie
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by DLR7884

DLR7884
            I think they should.
            I fuckin hope so !!!

Comment

• academic punk
              Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
              you're wrong on that, buddy...they HAVE to mix it because spam era wouldn't sell for shit...as sam admitted in an interview "my van halen royalties are history"...nuff said

when did sam say that? i've always wondered what his contracts were with Halen. I know on the 5150 tour, the contracts STIPULATED that "x" number of Hagar songs had to be played, and "x" number of CVH had to be played. This was somehting negotiated between managers and band members.

same with this tour. THe contracts actually said OUTRIGHT that Ed, Al, and Mike had to vacate the stage for Sammy's solo spot. This is nothing terribly unusual, actually. On Stones tours, Mick is contractually obligated to leave the stage during Keith's songs. God fucking knows what the consequences would be if Mick did walk out on stage during "Happy", maybe the contracts also had a fine against him if he did.

(Motley Crue - as reported in THE DIRT - had contracts on their tour to charge fines for anyone drinking or doing drugs before the show. Rock stars. What a bunch of assholes.)

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by academic punk
                when did sam say that?
                Recording artists have watched their record royalties erode over the past few years ("My Van Halen royalties are history," said vocalist Sammy Hagar), but, in fact, few musicians earn the bulk of their income from record sales.

here
                Roth Army Icon

Comment

• academic punk
                  Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

interesting.

i was hoping that the bros had bought sam out of his copyright and royalty rights back in '96 (thus he'd make a quick buck back then, but not see a dime for any future sales or radio play)

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by academic punk
                    interesting.

i was hoping that the bros had bought sam out of his copyright and royalty rights back in '96 (thus he'd make a quick buck back then, but not see a dime for any future sales or radio play)
                    no...sam blames it on burning cd's and downloading the files...fact is, that the van hagar catalogue just don't sell for shit anymore, gets no airplay and is just irrelevant (no remasters for example) so his royalties would be history anyway...
                    Roth Army Icon

Comment

• academic punk
                      Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
                      no...sam blames it on burning cd's and downloading the files...fact is, that the van hagar catalogue just don't sell for shit anymore, gets no airplay and is just irrelevant (no remasters for example) so his royalties would be history anyway...

well, in terms of BOBW I was wondering if he saw any income.

whatever. fuck 'im anyways.

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Here's what should be in the box:

NOTHING from the first 6 albums. Most of us have paid for them at least twice, some possibly three times (Holding out on the remasters myself)

The complete Gene Simmons demo (even though the "Zero" bootleg release was damn good sound quality)

The complete WB Demo.

The early "Mammoth" demo - recorded when Mark Stone was on bass. I think there were only 3 songs on this one, including a very early version of "In A Simple Rhyme", and I forget the others, but one might have been that song "Angel Eyes" which seems to be just Dave and an acoustic guitar.

Any unreleased Van HALEN songs from the 77-85 era. Did they record "House of Pain" for the first album? Were "Down In Flames" or "Last Night" actually recorded for VHII, since the band was telling audiences on the 78 tour that they would be on the new album? How about the song "Big Troubles", supposedly resurrected for the 1984 album, but not included. And there's always the mystery of what the band actually recorded for a 7th album before the breakup, and which songs were spammed for 5150.

And then there's the tracks from the 2000 sessions. Are they any where near ready for release?

Now let's talk Live DVD's. Oakland 81 exists. So does the US Festival. There has to be at least one pro-shot show from the 1984 tour. Eddie will probably fight the US Festival release, but goddamn it, that's a historical document and the fans have a right to see it. (as if most of us haven't already, but that's beside the point)

Put this package out with a $75 price tag and I guarantee it will be the fastest selling box set since Garth Brooks' "The Limited Series" (and all that one had to offer was 6 new songs)
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Rikk
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

They could also throw in a one-CD live album. There were professional recordings done on the 1984 tour. I wouldn't mind a one-disc set from this. Even better, I'd rather have a live album from some recorded in something like 1980 and then a DVD from the 1984 tour, then the three or so discs of studio outtakes. That would be amazing.
                          Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                          Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Wolverine

throw in a paper air guitar or sticker of the famed "davesicle"

Comment

• fe_lung
                              Sniper
                              • Mar 2004

For me, if there's a box set I'd prefer it go light on already released material. I'd love to see them do something along the lines of Springsteens TRACKS - 4 disks of unreleased stuff (Roth era, of course). Let the six pack be represented by demo or live versions (not to exceed 30% of the total song count).

I've bought the LP's, I've bought the original CD's, I've bought all the remasters, I want new shit!

Comment

• DLR7884
                                ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
                                They could also throw in a one-CD live album. There were professional recordings done on the 1984 tour. I wouldn't mind a one-disc set from this. Even better, I'd rather have a live album from some recorded in something like 1980 and then a DVD from the 1984 tour, then the three or so discs of studio outtakes. That would be amazing.
                                The 1984 tour had a bland setlist.

The 1982 "Hide Your Sheep" tour had the best.

DLR7884
                                By far.
                                Originally Posted by WARF:
                                DLR7884 - This guy is one bad ass sonafabitch... I've seen him destroy peoples posting careers in a single sentence.

Comment

Working...