Would it be Different for Dave if he aged like....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DavidLeeNatra
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Matt White
    DAVE does what DAVE wants. He doesn't follow trends, nor does he need to surround himself with imitators and pale second generation "hair bands". HIS FANS just need to accept the fact that he doesn't need to be the "flavor of the day" and enjoys his life. Dig the music and stop worrying about what DAVE 'ought to be doing. He's livin' it.

"jagger, plant, tyler, joe elliot, jon bon jovi"

Jagger has NO range and looks like a piece of beef jerky. Still riding on Keef's coat tails.

Bob Plant has no range left and looks like a Shar-Pei. Has the advantage that LED ZEPPELIN is held in such universal high esteem.

Joe elliot is showing his age and has NEVER had much range. LIve, he sounds like Brian Johnson of AC/DC, without the balls.

Jon Bon Jovi. WHO WOULD WANT TO SOUND OR LOOK LIKE THIS POODLE?!?!?

DAVE suffers, to some extent, from the bad blood generated by 20 years of frustration on the part of CLASSIC VAN HALEN fans on being denied the GREATEST BAND in the world.
    A M E N ! ! ! no way I want to see dave with ratt or poison or whatever...
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• Jack68
      Commando
      • Sep 2004

Ill take the bad press and look like Bonjovi now.
      "Avant Garde is French for bullshit.”

Comment

• BIG GOOSE
        Roadie
        • Sep 2004

"jagger, plant, tyler, joe elliot, jon bon jovi"

Jagger has NO range and looks like a piece of beef jerky. Still riding on Keef's coat tails.

Bob Plant has no range left and looks like a Shar-Pei. Has the advantage that LED ZEPPELIN is held in such universal high esteem.

Joe elliot is showing his age and has NEVER had much range. LIve, he sounds like Brian Johnson of AC/DC, without the balls.

DAVE suffers, to some extent, from the bad blood generated by 20 years of frustration on the part of CLASSIC VAN HALEN fans on being denied the GREATEST BAND in the world.
        Superb post.Every fucking word of it you can take to the bank.

Comment

• fenway5150
          Head Fluffer
          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by hard rock
          How could dave have stayed in the mainstream, well my friends thats easy. Promotion, staying current and promoting himself more. As i once said before on another thread here any one of us roth army soldiers could do a better pr job for him than his current team.

1) Dave needs to play more his solo tunes live. Everyone knows cvh and until he plays more his stuff the newer generation will never know his solo tunes that well. No wonder his solo sales are lacking. CVH gets tons of airplay and is world known. it does not need any help. i have met younger fans of cvh who ask me so what songs would i know from roth other than california girls and yankee rose and i will say well there just like paradise and they go never heard that one before. What da F@$k!!!

2) forget the ego, When dave teamed up with sammy they both drew large numbers and alone they dont. He needs to headline his own 80`s type summer tour like poison and others have done last few years. Dave can team up with cinderella, warrant and who ever .he will play to those that came to see the others and remind them why they liked him in the 1st place and he will reach those other bands younger crowds. When i saw poison 2 summers in a row 2002 and 2003 there were so many young kids that liked poison and when i said i like halen the only knew jump? use ozzfest as an example as well

3) invest in a stage show, bring back the boxing rings etc etc. Kiss still sells out shows without ace and peter cuz they make their shows fun to see.

4) change with times, when grunge came along van hagar got meaner and darker with balance. If dave put out tunes like me wise magic solo he could have kept the interest of those soundgarden, pearl jammin lovin little shit heads who dont know what a party is suppose to be like.

I don't know. I see where you're coming from but, from Dave's perspective, he probably has been told that and has decided against it because, for the most part, he's selling out. He just wants to be an artist and do what he feels most strongly about at the time.
          "To keep up with me, you must be fast. To sing like me, you must be great. To beat me? You must be kidding!"
          - DLR, 2004

Comment

• house0paincakes
            Roadie
            • Apr 2004

I think no matter what DLR does he will still be respected by those of us who know where it's at. Like it was said earlier, Dave is Dave, and Dave does what Dave wants to do, and that is one thing I admire about the man - he doesn't give a shit what anyone thinks - unlike his old bandmates on Howdy Doody Mountain.

I'd be down with Dave no matter what. . . I never forget my roots.

Comment

• lms2

Apparently Dave never forgets his roots either.

Its not that I am down with that... Classic Van Halen is gold!

The point that many of you are missing is this.

Dave has still got everything that he ever had, plus a little bit more. Its called life experience. Dave has always enjoyed the spot light. "Life is a stage, and I want the brightest spot!"

Sometimes it seems like Dave is clinging to that past and saying that was the best he had... and therefore nothing new will compare. Though its true, he will probably never had what he had in say 1983... That doesn't mean he has nothing to offer, or nothing to gain.

Until he moves past the glory days, nothing "new" he does will have meaning to him... and until it has meaning to him, its just not going to generate a tremendous following.

Similar to moving on in a new relationship while you are still comparing it to the old one. It just don't work. There may never be a kiss as sweet as loves first kiss... but does that mean you should stop kissing?

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by lms2
                Apparently Dave never forgets his roots either.

Its not that I am down with that... Classic Van Halen is gold!

The point that many of you are missing is this.

Dave has still got everything that he ever had, plus a little bit more. Its called life experience. Dave has always enjoyed the spot light. "Life is a stage, and I want the brightest spot!"

Sometimes it seems like Dave is clinging to that past and saying that was the best he had... and therefore nothing new will compare. Though its true, he will probably never had what he had in say 1983... That doesn't mean he has nothing to offer, or nothing to gain.

Until he moves past the glory days, nothing "new" he does will have meaning to him... and until it has meaning to him, its just not going to generate a tremendous following.

Similar to moving on in a new relationship while you are still comparing it to the old one. It just don't work. There may never be a kiss as sweet as loves first kiss... but does that mean you should stop kissing?
                well said...still love ya...
                Roth Army Icon
                First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• lms2

back at ya Natra.

Comment

• wrigleyvillbabe
                    Groupie
                    • Jul 2004

Along the same lines as this thread, did anyone see the special on VH1 called Remaking Vince Neil? Dude got plastic surgery, they dyed his hair brown and he lost 25 pounds. Oh, and that song that Desmond Childs wrote for him really sucked. It was a touchy-feely ballad about friends. Talk about heavy metal poison.
                    Anyone else see this show?

Comment

• Fabulous Shadow

Originally posted by Carmine Raguzza.
                      maybe, but...more 15 year olds are diggin the Classic 6 pack these days! Why? Beacause its still mainstream! I hear 10 classic tunes here on the radio a day. What radio plays is indicative of whats "popular" or what they think WE want to hear. Nobody really wants to hear solo Dave stuff(cept us), nobody wants to hear Van HAgar.....but what they play and what everybody in the mainstream is still interested in to this day...is the ORIGINAL VAN HALEN. Mainstream as well as us has been begging for this reunion for 2 decades!
                      I dont agree with you Carmie. What teenagers are listening to Classic Rock stations? Niether Van Halen nor Van Hagar are played on the hip stations here. I think the parents of the youth litening to Van Halen of anykind should get the credit! They are offering good music to their kids and the kids are accepting it. Not to mention that wearing T's with Classic Rock band on them happens to be "IN" right now.

As for Dave, Looks DO play a roll in popularity. He has the package but IMO he just doesn't know how to wrap it. I'd love to give him a makeover.

Comment

• light 'em up!
                        Foot Soldier
                        • Mar 2004

Re: Would it be Different for Dave if he aged like....

Originally posted by The Godfather
                        .....jagger, plant, tyler, joe elliot, jon bon jovi.
                        Dave's career immediately took a hit when he left Van Halen because he also left the name behind. He's had to make it on his own all these years w/out the superstar name. The VH name was where the the huge success and big bucks were.
                        Last edited by light 'em up!; 01-08-2005, 09:25 PM.

Comment

• BIG GOOSE
                          Roadie
                          • Sep 2004

Re: Re: Would it be Different for Dave if he aged like....

Originally posted by light 'em up!
                          Dave's career immediately took a hit when he left Van Halen because he also left the name behind. He's had to make it on his own all these years w/out the superstar name. The VH name was where the the huge success and big bucks were.
                          This is fact !!
                          America was always more interested in brand name rather than contents.VH is a perfect example.

Comment

• lms2

Re: Re: Re: Would it be Different for Dave if he aged like....

Originally posted by BIG GOOSE
                            This is fact !!
                            America was always more interested in brand name rather than contents.VH is a perfect example.
                            This is debateable. Content is what made Van Halen a "brand name". Sure Dave's career took a downward swing after the split, but Van Halen kept the brand name and theirs went downhill as well.

If it were merely whats in a name, and not in content, then why, 20 years later, do you have a song called 1985 asking "whose the other guy thats singing in Van Halen?" Why do you have an Army of people that are dedicated to the six pack? Why does the six pack get more playing time than any of the Van Hagar material?

Comment

• kentuckyklira
                              Veteran
                              • Sep 2004

Exactly, if you play moderate stakes when you get started, you can stick to it for quite a while!
                              http://images.zeit.de/gesellschaft/z...ie-540x304.jpg

Comment

• light 'em up!
                                Foot Soldier
                                • Mar 2004

Re: Re: Re: Re: Would it be Different for Dave if he aged like....

Originally posted by lms2
                                This is debateable. Sure Dave's career took a downward swing after the split, but Van Halen kept the brand name and theirs went downhill as well.
                                Yeah dude, but it took about 15 years of consistently crappy music for it to happen, and even at that, Ed and Al had to make public buffoons of themselves in order to run the legend into the ground. In the beginning, many (if not most) VH fans were sold on the Sammy crap at least through the first 2 albums, then people started waking up. After the '96 bait & switch fiasco, the downhill spiral was full thrust.
                                Last edited by light 'em up!; 01-09-2005, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Working...