Why does Brian Young play, "Eruption" live ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smaz
    Commando
    • Mar 2004

Eruption is to You Really Got Me as Eddie is to Beer.

Eruption is the part before YRGM, leads into it and goes hand in hand with it. It's how it was played, is played, and will be played. Young plays it to keep that going. However, he doesn't play it like Ed plays it live, by extending it out, playing whatever etc.
    Moving webhosts & will be making changes to the picture hosting - watch this space..

Comment

• Carmine
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Fabulous Shadow
      BECAUSE he CAN... and these days he does so better than Ed!
      True....the way he plays it blew me away at the Rama Show! He fingertaps over the neck of the guitar like he's playing a piano! I kinda took it as a light mockery. As in, "this is very easy to play"......and I do it BETTER!

Comment

• Carmine
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
        apparently they have recorded a full albums worth of

new material, and it is up to Dave when to release it.

Dave is also planning a world tour in the near future, so

we should probably hear the new material prior to this.

(thanks Carmine and Golden Boy)

First, your welcome. Ray and Brian BOTH said they have tons of stuff waiting to release. They also kinda smiled at each other when I asked them.(???) I took from the conversation that, whatever it is, it will be HUGE! And for anyone who has heard this band live, it will absolutely ROCK! But, I also feel that the "delay" in releasing it may have something to do with an original band we all know and love possibly reconvening in 2006!

Comment

• tomballin
          Commando
          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by WARF
          Yeah I know Eddie's a bum...

I'm just kinds scared that the 1998 DLR Band CD will be Dave's last rock album.
          Aw don't worry, it's a market timing/motivation thing currently.

Also if Brian was butchering EVH's stuff, I would be the first to trash the guy, as a musician.

Secondly, when Randy Rhodes died, a lot of musicians had a problem with Zakk Wylde doing Randy's stuff, but Zakk was so damn good, and it got Ozzy back out on the road, that it all worked for the better, even with Randy's mom.

Brian is no Zakk, but Eddie is no Randy, if you look at the big picture on the matter.

Brian is good for Diamond. EVH is a liability now, not an asset to Dave. I would not have said that until this 04 Tour disaster, on top of the 98 Tour disaster, and going to see a VanSpam Boy's 04 gig.

Van Halen as a band is closed history.

Comment

• Matt White
            • Jun 2004

Re: Re: Why does Brian Young play, "Eruption" live ?

Originally posted by Northern Girl

On the same note, Sam should NOT be singing Dave's songs live either let alone putting that shit on BOBW IMO.
            EXACTLY NG. Anybody wanna here something truly "Hideous", check out Spammy butchering "UNCHAINED" or RWTD. WOW! That's sacrilegious!

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Oct 2004

I want to hear 'Eruption' when I see Dave, especially on the last tour when it was sandwhiched between '...Devil' and 'You Really Got Me'.

I think it's a cliche now that at rock shows-the chances are you're gonna hear a guitar solo-if you're going to see someone play a load of Van Halen material-it might as well be 'Eruption'-it adds to nostalgia, as well, I suppose.
              Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• scottydabodi
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Jun 2004

WARF rules! Keep Rothin!!

By the way, I wanna see Brian Young do "Frenzy" by Paul Gilbert live onstage with Dave... that'd fucken kick ass!!
                If you listen to fools
                The Mob Rules

Comment

• WARF
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

That would be interesting Scotty!

So anyways, what kind of poontang has THE BODY been gettin' lately?

Comment

• academic punk
                    Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
                    I want to hear 'Eruption' when I see Dave, especially on the last tour when it was sandwhiched between '...Devil' and 'You Really Got Me'.

I think it's a cliche now that at rock shows-the chances are you're gonna hear a guitar solo-if you're going to see someone play a load of Van Halen material-it might as well be 'Eruption'-it adds to nostalgia, as well, I suppose.
                    That's the problem i have with it, actuially!

It reinforces that Dave is no longer (and would rather be) with the band!

Leave it to memory, let Young play his own thing, and leave eruption out in the dump. phooey!

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

have you ever LISTENED to what brian is playing? or do you just read the setlists posted in reviews where everybody just writes "eruption" instead of "brian's solo"...

he mentioned in an interview that dave asked him to play a solo and to play HIS stuff and not a cover of eruption...and if you bother to take a listen to the boots (where everybody names it eruption, too) it's not even close to the original but brian shredding his own shit...
                      Roth Army Icon
                      First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• scottydabodi
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by WARF
                        That would be interesting Scotty!

So anyways, what kind of poontang has THE BODY been gettin' lately?
                        I've been into some VERY GOOD things lately... I even posted a few pics in the Asian Pic thread. I might have a few more more coming up this weekend! Haha!! I'm gonna burn in Hell...
                        If you listen to fools
                        The Mob Rules

Comment

• tomballin
                          Commando
                          • Dec 2004

Re: Re: Re: Why does Brian Young play, "Eruption" live ?

Originally posted by Matt White
                          EXACTLY NG. Anybody wanna here something truly "Hideous", check out Spammy butchering "UNCHAINED" or RWTD. WOW! That's sacrilegious!
                          I didn't know shite about VH - III so I watched a full video I got of the 98 Tour stop in Sydney. Great vid/pro-shot as to quality.

First Cherone totally sucked. The guy was just horrible, and didn't fit the band at all.

Second, it was funny, it was wierd to me seeing Cherone do Hagar VH II songs, not Van Roth songs. I mean everyone covers Van Roth songs, but nobody covers Van Hagar songs.

I listened to a couple of 98 Tour audios and Cherone sucked bad on those also. I don't know much about Cherone's previous work with Extreme, but I never remember the guy sounding like shite, as he did with VH III.

Comment

• tydhurst
                            Commando
                            • Mar 2004

If he can play it, then PLAY it! A gig is still a gig, he's still a guitarist, it still impresses the FUCK out of a lot of people. If he can play "Eruption" or anything with Eruption-esque overtones, then SWISH! If i were at a gig, that's be a really cool thing to see. Songs are there to be covered!
                            Don't need a gun to blow your mind!

http://tydhurst.proboards30.com

Join my forum.

Comment

• tomballin
                              Commando
                              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by tydhurst
                              If he can play it, then PLAY it! A gig is still a gig, he's still a guitarist, it still impresses the FUCK out of a lot of people. If he can play "Eruption" or anything with Eruption-esque overtones, then SWISH! If i were at a gig, that's be a really cool thing to see. Songs are there to be covered!
                              Exactly, great post!

Comment

• tydhurst
                                Commando
                                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by tydhurst
                                Songs are there to be covered!
                                Unless it's a CVH song and Hagar or Cherone are doing it!
                                Don't need a gun to blow your mind!

http://tydhurst.proboards30.com

Join my forum.

Comment

Working...