Why does Brian Young play, "Eruption" live ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tydhurst
    Commando
    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by tydhurst
    Unless it's a CVH song and Hagar or Cherone are doing it!
    God, how geeky, quoting MYSELF! sorry about that!
    Don't need a gun to blow your mind!

http://tydhurst.proboards30.com

Join my forum.

Comment

• academic punk
      Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

I have heard Young's solo. I think Tydhurst got it right with "eruption" overtones. I still would prefer it's own seperate, unique entity.

I even prefer when the band is jamming on "Birdland".

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by academic punk
        I have heard Young's solo. I think Tydhurst got it right with "eruption" overtones. I still would prefer it's own seperate, unique entity.

I even prefer when the band is jamming on "Birdland".
        the only similarity is the finger tapping-technique...
        Roth Army Icon
        First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• academic punk
          Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

I've thought about it a bit, and here's my trouble with it:

With Brian Young even referencing "Eruption" during his solo slot, it simply reinforces the theory that right now a DLR live show is essentially a VH tribute band that just so happens to have as its front man...David Lee Roth.

Let's put it like this: the five or so minutes that Brian is jamming away, wouldn't that time be better spent performing "Experience" or "Big Trouble"?

(I know that Young's solo is Dave's op to catch a breath and a blowjob backstage and change outfits, but work with me here, and imagine dave just wearing one pair of pants for the duration of the show)

Comment

• academic punk
            Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

(and waiting till after he's done with the show to get that slurpee)

Comment

• Fabulous Shadow

Re: Re: Re: Why does Brian Young play, "Eruption" live ?

Originally posted by Matt White
              EXACTLY NG. Anybody wanna here something truly "Hideous", check out Spammy butchering "UNCHAINED" or RWTD. WOW! That's sacrilegious!
              Goota agree with ya on this. Sammy does not do the CVH songs justice!

Comment

• academic punk
                Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Originally posted by Fabulous Shadow
                Goota agree with ya on this. Sammy does not do the CVH songs justice!
                well, we all already know and agree on that. That's why we all hate him so.

But sammy sings/sang them in large part because a) the three musicians behind him are the guys who originally played the song, and b) a large part of the audience DOES show up to hear dave-era tunes at a VH show.

When I go see Dave on a solo tour, I have no expectations or desire to hear "Eruption". Why? Because a) Dave didn't perform on this tune, and b) I didn't go to hear someone do Ed licks (or something highyl influenced thereof), I'm there to see DAVE.

Think about it like this: it's one thing to sing the tunes, but if sammy did Dave's stage-raps verbatim, that would be an even deeper transgression, right?

Comment

• 83USFESTIVAL
                  Groupie
                  • Jan 2005

QUOTE]Originally posted by WARF
                  [B] I love Brian Young and Daves band, but it bothers me a bit whenever Brian Young does Eddie Van Halen's eruption solo. Shouldn't some material be sacred to Van Halen's legacy, rather than cheapen DLR's setlist with a generic version of eruption?

i agree that eruption is sacred but brian i believe does justice to it. i have seen many tribute bands try it and almost all fail.

by the way how can i get a copy of that pic. dlr is fucking awesome.

Comment

• 83USFESTIVAL
                    Groupie
                    • Jan 2005

(I know that Young's solo is Dave's op to catch a breath and a blowjob backstage and change outfits, but work with me here, and imagine dave just wearing one pair of pants for the duration of the show) [/B][/QUOTE]

dlr wore a pair of blue shinney pleather pants for the news years eve show. apparently no blow job. i have to disagree with you when you state that dlr is now just a tribute band. dlr has no other choice but to play with another band. ediie is a fucking baby. the choice is to have dlr front his band or have nothing at all.

Comment

• light 'em up!
                      Foot Soldier
                      • Mar 2004

ASCAP lists the composer of Eruption as:

Edward Van Halen, Alex Van Halen, Michael Anthony and David Lee Roth.

What Brian Young is doing is a symbolic tribute. No one can ever steal Ed's star by playing that song, because the first thing anyone thinks of when they hear it is Ed. Besides, Brian's version is a simulation of Eruption, and a pretty damned good one at that.

Comment

• tomballin
                        Commando
                        • Dec 2004

Why does a dog lick his balls,.....

because he can.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Nov 2004

Brian Young plays extremely well. He can do the golden repertoire, no doubt it's a tour de force. I'm glad Diamond hired him. Seems to be a real good chap too, unlike Ed (as Dave made it clear in his autobiography and every now and then).
                          But the point is: can he COMPOSE great original stuff himself, in the exciting heavy rock lane we love to listen to Dave? I sure hope so, but as a Roth fan, from Van Halen mean bros betrayals to repeated false news, I've got used to disappointment for a while.
                          I've had my share of training on that track. I know every inch of it. So, I'll just be waiting, as usual.
                          posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                          posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• 83USFESTIVAL
                            Groupie
                            • Jan 2005

i just thought the pic was cool

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Nov 2004

And you were just thinking all right! Really nice, thank you for sharing!
                              posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                              posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• light 'em up!
                                Foot Soldier
                                • Mar 2004

Brian looks the part big time and lives up to the role. Ed in a reunion deal could not match this guy in terms of craft and precision.
                                Last edited by light 'em up!; 01-21-2005, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Working...