Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nice Rack!
    Roth Army Recruit
    • Dec 2004

Yeah totally Terry. I think you're on the money about Dave always having fun!

They totally lost that spontaneous element you speak of after Dave left.

As the old saying goes Dave "went for the fun".

And like ya said Ed went for the money and produced music instead of the other way around.

The lovefest Ed and Sam seemed to surfing on certainly wouldn't create stellar music ...that is of course unless you drank milk, drove a nissan, and made love...as Dave described.

One of Dave's great descriptions concerning Sammy's version was that Van Halen had become like a beautiful woman with really bad teeth!

It can be summed up with what you said,

Ed got stuck on auto pilot.

Nice descriptions about his guitar techniques that began to remain the same.
    Last edited by Nice Rack!; 04-17-2005, 08:40 PM.

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Thanks for that, Rack.

Comes across to some as selling the man short when I say Ed's style is tired. But I'm not saying his shit wasn't earth-shattering. Just that he never developed beyond what he played on the classic albums, and the fire in his playing was on the wane by the time Hagar got there...I'm just hard pressed to hear anything he did from 1986 onward that bettered what came before it.

Kinda not his fault, though. The stuff he put out from 1978-1984 was a tough act to follow.
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• cwsmith17
        Sniper
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
        I could lay down a pretty good list of wonderful guitar players but for me Eddie Van Halen encompassed everything you could want in a rock and roll guitar great. He was high energy and could play fast but he always did it in a musical way. He wrote great riffs and invented new techniques of playing. Even if Eddie wasn't inventing a new technique he did a new spin on an old one. He had great tone. He was a true innovator and not only created one of a kind riffs but guitars as well. Ed had great stage presence and seemed to be having a blast up there.

The Eddie I mentioned above seems so far from the fruitloop he has become. I think many of his former fans scratch their heads wondering what in the fuck happened. The guy went from being one of the coolest guitar Gods of all time to a fucking geek.
        Ed layed it all on the line. So did the whole band.

They wanted to rock have fun and make you think

all at the same time!!!

Ed, today, has taken the easier path, which is why he doesn't blow

our minds anymore.

Comment

• Nice Rack!
          Roth Army Recruit
          • Dec 2004

Yeah,

Sounds like you're thiking mabey Ed wanked his cud and blew his whole load on the first six albums.

Quite possible Terry. :eek:

Comment

• Matt White
            • Jun 2004

EVH was the reason I picked up a guitar. He always seemed to be having the time of his life, and that came across on EVERY song, Studio & Live!

He had all the flash, yet wasn't a "Mongolian string bender". Meaning, he always played for the song. Both his riffing & Soloing were genius.

CLASSIC VAN HALEN had both the heaviness & the commercial appeal that so few bands ever manage to attain.

DAVE was the FUN in CLASSIC VAN HALEN.

van hagar was/is just boring Journey knock offs. The GREATEST TRAGEDY IN ROCK HISTORY.

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nice Rack!
              Yeah,

Sounds like you're thiking mabey Ed wanked his cud and blew his whole load on the first six albums.

Quite possible Terry. :eek:
              Yep. Think I may have even posted something previously along those very lines.

Like Ed blew a fuse coming up with all the shit on the first 6 albums, or too much booze stocked in the bar at 5150 (anyone else but me notice that EVH's music sucking pretty much began to coincide with the construction of a studio in his backyard and his gradual takeover of production chores?).

His creative spark was mind-blowing while it lasted, though.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Thorman
                Commando
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Terry

Like Ed blew a fuse coming up with all the shit on the first 6 albums, or too much booze stocked in the bar at 5150 (anyone else but me notice that EVH's music sucking pretty much began to coincide with the construction of a studio in his backyard and his gradual takeover of production chores?).

Originally posted by Terry

Ive been to Rome, Dallas, Texas
                http://www.topthat.net/webrock/sounds/bamm.wav

Comment

• ZamboniMan
                  Full On Cocktard
                  • Jan 2005

What made Eddie Van Halen we used to know so great
                  That's an easy one, two answers...he wasn't in a band with Sammy Hagar making love songs and he and Diamond Dave were one of the greatest combinations in rock history.

Everybody is right about mellowing out though, anybody seen a Ted Nugent show lately? Totally different from back in the 70's.

Comment

• Jano
                    Commando
                    • Feb 2004

Eddie need Dave!
                    By the way Thorman..... fuck you!
                    little french dreamer hate those Van Hagar backstage party!!
                    http://deliajolie.spaces.live.com/

Comment

Working...