X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tomballin
    Commando
    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Terry
    Sheehan and Vai have a ton of technical ability, but are a couple of wankfest artists when it comes right down to it. Only made sense for Billy to hook up with Mr.Big and Gilbert, who epitomized speed over substance to a degree that made Vai sound soulful by comparison. That whole GIT school of playing that always leaves me cold. I mean, what's a bass player doing with a Kahler vibrato on his axe, for fucks sake?!

Eddie V had technique in spades, but the man knew how to write a song and lay back as well. Think Dave's contribution to the EEAS band was influencing Sheehan and Vai to play things that would appeal to rock fans who weren't musicians.

EEAS was a smokin' album, no doubt. Agree that it ranks up there with Dave's best. Then again, so does DLR Band, and none of the guitarists on that CD are doing anything stellar, solo-wise. Comes down to the songs in the end. EEAS was a logical progression from 1984, whereas 5150 just wasn't.

Don't get me wrong: 1986 was the first introduction for many to Vai, and he passed the audition with flying colors. Somehow though, what EVH did in classic VH still resonates with me to this day, whereas a lot of Vai's stuff still has that "wheedly-wheedly-wee!" quality that I'm a little ho-hum over now. When he does the slower, bluesier stuff, it comes across to me like he's making an effort to be emotive.
    Great post bro!

Comment

Working...