Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vh1978-1984
    Full On Cocktard
    • Mar 2004

the thing that destroyed van halen was the 1984 album being so huge, they had been selling out arenas for years and selling 3 million albums and everything was great, then 1984 hits the lottery jackpot and sells 10 million albums and the success went to everyon'es head especially roth. i love roth but the man probably had people at the time telling him he was the star of the band and he didn't need them and unfortunately for van halen fans he listened to them. after an album that big i am sure that eddie and alex were jealous as hell that roth got the cover of rolling stone alone and got most of the media attention, in fact after roth left the band warner brother records thought they should change the name of the band because even though 2 members of the band had that name most people assocated van halen with the wild frontman and always quoatable david lee roth. rumor has it that van halen was so distraught after roth left they had no clue what to do and considered doing an album with different singers including phil coliins patty smyth from scandal and a couple of others. supposedly eddie van halens mechanic recommended sammy hagar because he worked on his cars too and the rest is history. if the first plan would have went through with the guest singers the album would have bombed and they would have begged roth to come back, unfortunately this mechanic that gave them sammy hagar's name has deprived fans of real van halen a reunion because for some reason the beyond boring van hagar sold very well and filled arenas. that is a little rock n roll history for you all. a car mechanic single handedly destroyed the worlds greatest hard rock band. only in america. oh yea, and the reason eddie and alex don't want to reunite with roth is because they were always jealous of the attention he got from the media and want a boring frontman like hagar that the media has no interest in so the attention is on the brothers. sad but true. even though they deny there fans what they really want with a roth reunion, i am sure they are very vindictive and enjoy the fact that roth has never enjoyed huge mainstream success without them (not counting the first 2 cd's which were guaranteed to sell because of roth's name at the time). that is also sad but true. petty jealousy on the van halen brothers part. you know i'm right.

Comment

• Bandit
      Roth Army Recruit
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Lou
      100% right, there are even Roth fans that think that Van Halen was always a trio plus a singer, and that it was Eddie's band. Wrong fellas, it was Dave's band. Eddie was the best musician in the band far and away, but Dave was the leader.
      Bingo! Without Dave, VH wouldn't have been as successful. Van Hagar rode on Dave's success till the end. Example being this so-called reunion...not one peep. How many actually care about this Van Hagar reunion? Now, a Dave reunion is different!

Comment

• azcrdnal
        Foot Soldier
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Bandit
        Bingo! Without Dave, VH wouldn't have been as successful. Van Hagar rode on Dave's success till the end. Example being this so-called reunion...not one peep. How many actually care about this Van Hagar reunion? Now, a Dave reunion is different!
        THAT IS THE TRUTH

Comment

• SheAintWaiting
          Roadie
          • Apr 2004

I always thought VH shoulda got a chick to replace Dave since
          no guy ever could. Oh wait. They did get a chick. Nevermind.

Why can't they just freakin' do an instrumental album if they
          won't make peace with Dave?

Oh, and someone mentioned Soundgarden/Audioslave;
          there's also the Pantera/Damageplan situation. I agree
          that if it ain't Dave, Eddie, Alex and Michael, it ain't
          Van Halen. It's really too bad they keep insisting that
          it is, 'cause anybody with ears can tell ya that it AIN'T.

SheAintWaiting
          "I won't tour on a greatest hits record, that's like basically saying, we're over. Wasted. Biggest waste of time in the world. Strictly money." -Sammy Hagar, 1996.

Comment

• MAX
            Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by L.S.D.
            and you know that by nevr even seeing them live or growing up with them around. Fucking pathetic...
            I'm upping the initial offer. Here's a fucking dollar, buy a clue and go fuck yourself.

I've seen VH with Roth live, I've seen EEAS as well and I've seen Van Hagar, so don't even try to lay in to me you fucking tool.

BTW. You were fucking nine when Van Hagar emerged so shut the fuck up!!!! You know nothing!!! You were 18 when Van Hagar was on it's last leg with "Balance" and you call that their best? You poor and pathetic fucking nerd. So, you have no right to rip on young Lou when you first experienced Van Hagar at the end of their sorry and candy assed run.

Eat that and smile you Van Hagar expert!!!

Damn, you are one poor bastard and sorry assed excuse for a human. You really are one useless tool and when are you going to start paying the oxygen bill, because you are by far the biggest thief?
            Last edited by MAX; 04-12-2004, 02:46 AM.
            EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• Panamark
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Ive often pondered this question. It could never be the same without Dave, but surely, if there *HAD* to be a replacement, they could have gotten somebody better than Hagar. Actually I think I would have preferred any Metal singer from that era over Hagar. So put me down for anybody from that era, except Hagar.
              BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
              Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Snoo

They should've scoured the LA Underground and found a certain fiery redhead leading a band called Hollywood Rose, named William Axl Rose. Him and Eddie both have such tremendous egos, they could've cancelled each other out, and Eddie would've been forced to cut the deep, emotional songs to one or two an album, like GNR did. Not saying Van Hagar were deep and emotional, but Axl sure as hell would've done a lot more with the cheese guitar Eddie layed down than Hagar. He would've lost the "We kicked out Dave because we hate doing covers" excuse, but the success that followed would've made up for it.

Comment

• L.S.D.

Originally posted by Bandit

Rode it to the end? How did Van Hagar ride it till the end, but dlr's career was in the shitter 5 years before Van Hagar was through? Idiots here, allof you a bunch of goddamn idiots. I am here everyday because it is so easy to be entertained by you fucking hopeful morons. You all say "Eddie is washed up". But if King of the washed up dlr was playing with him, well then he's cool again. Becuase dlr would give him the "fire he needs. What a crock. Dlr has no fire, listen to his fucking last album and look at his rehashed 1984 show. GET OVER IT ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...