X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Casemeister
    When people talk about a voice being "tweaked" with ProTools, they're usually talking about PITCH correction. Modulation hardware has been around for a while, but it'll just raise or lower the pitch of a recorded sound to one set pitch. (Half a step higher, lower, etc.) With a pitch "correction" program or piece of hardware, the pitch of the recording or element of the recording (such as the vocals) is tweaked only when it goes off-key. Autotune is the most popular type of pitch correction software/hardware. Overuse of it can actually create an interesting effect. (That Cher song... "Believe," I am pretty sure it was called, is the most famous track with deliberate overuse of Autotune).

Pitch correction hardware WAS around in 1996 or so, I believe, but it was very expensive (Waylon Jennings refers to a $25,000 machine that corrects pitch in his 1996 book) and it's highly unlikely that Dave used any such measures on the two BOV1 tracks. It really doesn't seem like Dave's style.

I really just wanted to make it clear that when people talk about "tweaking" a vocal track, that's generally what they mean (if it's meant to be negative, anyway). Of COURSE reverb, chorus, compression and EQ were around before ProTools was even an idea in its author's mind. If they hadn't been around, every record made before ProTools would sound like absolute crap.

I'm absolutely sure those tracks are from multiple takes. Was Autotune used? I'd bet large sums of money it wasn't used. THAT'S what people seem to be talking about. They assume anything can be done with computers when it comes to sound. That's not true. Dave sang those parts. They may have been spliced a bit, but so what? It's still Dave.
    Interesting.

I agree that he definitely sang multiple takes. "Tweaked" was the wrong word on my part. Every part of the song is 'tweaked' in a sense. I just meant that DAVE's vocals were not significantly altered, of course there's studio stuff that I'm unaware of, but DAVE can actually sing in the high range, that being said, I doubt you would see these tunes live night-after-night...

Comment

• ELVIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by fuckhowardstern
      I could see there being something stated about distribution of the music exclusively through whatever channels were contemplated.

You have a crystal ball ??

First time I have ever heard that lawyers were responsible for VH not getting back together with DLR. Hmmmm......

Dave and the retards both said it...

Comment

• fuckhowardstern
        Commando
        • Nov 2005

Do I have a crystal ball - No. But I know a little about contracts and entertainment law. As per lawyers being responsible for VH not getting back together - lawyers talk for their clients. They don't make shit up as they go along. If DLR's lawyers took one position and the retards' lawyers took another position it was because of the instructions of their clients.

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

Uhhh, yea, duh, yeah...

Comment

• Hardrock69
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Feb 2005

1. It would be cool to hear some more unreleased demos.

2. Fuck Ed-wad (Cry-Baby) Van Halen. I really do not give a rat's ass about him any more.

3. Here is a wishful picture of John Holmes. May he die a miserable death by being ass-raped by members of the Black Panthers.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2004

Originally posted by John "Bone Smuggler"Holmes
              I'm very lonely.I have no friends and I'm trolling for cock.
              You quit the Army twice. What's the deal? Evicted from MAN CAMP ? AGAIN !!!
              Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Big Troubles
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                1. It would be cool to hear some more unreleased demos.

2. Fuck Ed-wad (Cry-Baby) Van Halen. I really do not give a rat's ass about him any more.

You wouldn't care if Ed died tommorow? Even if, not for the guy- What about the fact that Edwards death would certainly mean he never got any kind of happy ending with Dave?

I dunno. I'm more just pissed at the brain dead fuck, and wished someone close to him can get the guy some serious help.
                "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• Big Troubles
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Feb 2004

Originally posted by fuckhowardstern
                  As per lawyers being responsible for VH not getting back together - lawyers talk for their clients. They don't make shit up as they go along. If DLR's lawyers took one position and the retards' lawyers took another position it was because of the instructions of their clients.
                  Im sure I read somewhere that it was a money issue and it was mainly Dave wanting a fair share and something about past royalties.
                  When VH renegotiated a new deal with the label in 96, they did so under false pretenses (Dave wasn't back with the band full time and thats the deal they signed) and Dave, I believe sued for royalties. (which, I dunno, still pending?)

Did I get that right? LMAO!
                  "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• fuckhowardstern
                    Commando
                    • Nov 2005

I did a google search with the following terms: "van halen litigation or lawsuit or sue 'david lee roth'". I also did a separate search under "van halen LLC and 'david lee roth'. I didn't come up with much at all. Only about 2 pages of hits and the only one barely worth mentioning was a blog with a 2003 entry, http://anythingbut.com/archive/2003_05.html , that states the following:

"David Lee Roth Pressing Forward With Lawsuit Against Van Halen

Former Van Halen frontman David Lee Roth is continuing to move forward with his lawsuit against the band over unpaid royalties. Roth filed his suit on December 11 in Los Angeles Superior Court, claiming the group didn't include him in a 1996 renegotiation of its contract with Warner Brothers Records. Roth said the result is a financial inequity. "If you buy Van Halen I now, if I make 10 cents, the bass player (Michael Anthony) makes 30 cents. And if I make a hundred dollars, the drummer (Alex Van Halen) will make close to three hundred dollars. And I've always maintained since I wrote all the words, and all the lyrics, and all of the harmonies, and structured the tunes, designed most of the album covers--and when MTV happened for everybody, I wrote and directed the videos--with all of that, I should make 25 percent. What do you think?"
                    Roth's suit is still pending while both sides file legal briefs. Neither Van Halen Music LLC nor Warner Bros., who are co-defendants, would comment on the suit...."

Another blog, http://hometown.aol.com/renardym/news.html , mentions in dicta that Roth was unsuccessful with this lawsuit.

If anybody else has information on this litigation it would be interesting me. Also, if anyone knows the venue of this lawsuit, maybe we could search the public file on the matter (briefs, complaint, etc...). There would be a lot of information in these documents on contractual arrangements between the parties. I assume the suit was filed in california federal court and I will look into it further as time permits.

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Douglas T.
                      Half a dozen is being modest! I'll bet there are at least 11!
                      No, fool...

When Dave said half a dozen, he meant half a dozen...

Doing what you just did is how bullshit gets turned into TOTAL BULLSHIT!

No write I will not be a dumbass 5000 times, and turn it in to me in the morning...

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                        I believe they were indeed that good.

I don't, no fucking way in hell...

Comment

Working...