X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jhale667
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister

Vai doing Eddie didn't work too well IMHO.

Which part didn't work for you...him playing Eruption with his TEETH?
    Originally posted by conmee
    If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
    Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
    I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
    Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
    Originally posted by eddie78
    I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

I'll tell ya, I didn't care too much for what the EEAS Band did with the CVH stuff live, either. Sounded a bit off-key, to me, in terms of the instruments.

Still think Young is well-suited for the job he was hired for. Myself, were I to play with Dave, sure I'd want to play CVH stuff, but I'd be pushing for original material from day one. If Young is remembered at all down the line, he's gonna be remembered as an Eddie clone.

Can't say the same about Becker.
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jul 2004

What's all this shit about Val playing CVH and EVH shit....

Bertinelli was only good for the occasional Made-for-TV-Estrogen-Movie

But Terry, as usual, said it best........with a conservation of words.
        Originally posted by Kristy
        Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
        Originally posted by cadaverdog
        I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Terry
          Still think Young is well-suited for the job he was hired for. Myself, were I to play with Dave, sure I'd want to play CVH stuff, but I'd be pushing for original material from day one.
          And you would be out of a job on day 2.

It's totally unfair for people to have a go at Brian over issues he has no control over.

This whole slide started during ALAE. Listen to the original version that jhale posted of Becker doing 'Drop it in the Bucket'. Roth obviously cut half the solo for the album and it's still my favourite song on it. My understanding is that Becker wrote the last two songs on the album and he and I agree they were the best thing on it. He had nothing like the freedom Vai or EVH had. 10 years later it's much more extreme.

At one of the gigs I was at a year ago there were a few muso guitarists there standing behind me saying 'well this is no EEAS band' while the band played a blues instrumental.

Thing is that anyone that has heard the Hideous Sun Demons knows that the band had some stunning stuff they could have played and would have loved to.

It's not their fault it's Roths.

It's idiotic because in any DLR(or Ozzy for that matter) audience there is the guitarist contingent because Roth like Ozzy had the best guys going back in the day. For some reason Roth doesn't get this and alienates maybe 20% of his audience including some people in this thread.

Since the tour with Hagar Roth dropped the drum intro to Hot For Teacher and the intro to Mean Street arguably the technical highlights for musicians in the audience. So Ray and Brian get people thinking they have been dropped because they can't do them...

I had an 'argument' with Ray Luzier about which was more difficult to play. I trusted Elvis on this when he said he could do HFT on drums plus I knew a couple of drummers that could do it. For me Mean Street is much more difficult. Anyhoo no doubt a couple of people here can play it but my point is that since Brian isn't allowed to show how he can play it(which he can note for note) then he gets the 'good' rather than 'excellent' tag. Same goes for doing an arpeggio version of HFT with sweeps like Becker did. I dunno if Brian can do that but it's immaterial since he wouldn't be allowed to.

If Dave Roth hired Neil Peart I bet he wouldn't allow him a drum solo these days...

Cheers!

Last edited by Seshmeister; 01-25-2006, 12:38 AM.

Comment

• fuckhowardstern
            Commando
            • Nov 2005

....If Dave Roth hired Neil Peart I bet he wouldn't allow him a drum solo these days...

Cheers!

LOL!! Good points. Ray is a fantastic drummer in my opinion - which ain't worth much after it leaves my fingers to the keyboard.... but I am looking forward to his new project. Could be some stellar shit in this arid, desperate environment that modern music has become.

Comment

• jhale667
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

It's idiotic because in any DLR(or Ozzy for that matter) audience there is the guitarist contingent because Roth like Ozzy had the best guys going back in the day. For some reason Roth doesn't get this and alienates maybe 20% of his audience including some people in this thread.

I wouldn't consider myself "alienated", but I do miss the days of the fire-breathing guitarist...

That's OK...I'll carry the torch myself (sniffs, kicks dirt)
              Originally posted by conmee
              If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
              Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
              I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
              Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
              Originally posted by eddie78
              I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Brett
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Sesh, you don't need to defend Brian. Any one of us with the chance he's had to play with Dave would do it too, do what we're told, shut up, and collect a paycheck. Those who think they'd walk in and strong-arm Dave with demands about what they're going to play would be done in five seconds.

Those of you ragging on his playing obviously have never heard him doing anything besides VH. He wasn't even that big of a VH fan before he did the Punks thing. He has a very wide range that obviously he's not allowed to explore playing with Dave obviously. I've been fortunate enough to hear him play other styles, and the guy can play everything. And Elvis, as for technique, Russ Parrish who took over for Brian when he left blows the shit out of Bart Walsh in every way.

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

I agree with that...

Russ has more of Edwards technique down, and he definately has an early Van Halen (brownsound) guitar sound...

He uses Splawn amps, which to my ears are the closest you can get to Ed's early tone...

Brian Young reminds me of Carlos Santana, real choppy, mechanical, and always a slight step behind the groove...

Bart was better than Brian...

Comment

• Brett
                    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Russ uses 5150's for the VH stuff man...unless something's changed in his live setup the last year. I haven't been to a show in a while, but he was just using a 5150 II and a Marshall cab with greenbacks.

I would agree Bart is better than Brian, but had zero stage presence. According to most, Brian is the easiest person in the world to work with, which I'm sure is why he gets gigs so easily.

I also agree that Brian tends to play behind the groove, which is probably why he was really good in the funk/disco cover thing he did for years.

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

I'm sorry Brett...

I was thinking of Al Estrada from Eruption...

Click on this and check out his =VH= tone...

Comment

• Brett
                        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I watched the promo, awesome tone, I agree. Sounds very close to Ed's early tone. Guy is a real good player too, Punks should get him to replace Russ who's leaving. Only thing I heard that was strange was part of "Eruption", but he probably just goofed it.

Comment

• Faquar
                          Groupie
                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by NATEDOG001976
                          And who the hell are you? Yes, don't listen if you don't like it. Man...newbies, I tell you...lol
                          I'M a hetrosexual, 30-year VH fan trying to start a discussion about the direction Dave's show's pointed (but it's damned good to know there are professional guitar players right here on this board. Yeah... Brain adds nothing to the show). ,:confused:

And YOU?

Orig. by NATEDOG...in another thread ...poster that came in the Women and Children First album of Dave in chains (w/no shirt)? I used to have that framed on my wall along with other classic VH stuff. People would say what's up with that poster?? are you gay? I finally took it down, I'm just a huge VH and Dave fan, I never saw it a being a gay poster. I just thought it was cool...lol

Comment

• Matt White
                            • Jun 2004

Who is David Lee Roth?

Comment

• Sarge's Little Helper
                              Commando
                              • Mar 2003

Who is David Lee Roth?
                              Diamond Dave is the supreme Toastmaster General of the immoral majority.. the King of Any and All Things Rock n\' Roll. Bar none he is the greatest Frontman in Rock n Roll History!
                              "I decided to name my new band DLR because when you say David Lee Roth people think of an individual, but when you say DLR you think of a band. Its just like when you say Edward Van Halen, people think of an individual, but when you say Van Halen, you think of…David Lee Roth, baby!"!

Comment

• Matt White
                                • Jun 2004

(In best Mr. G voice)

Exactly, exactly

Comment

Working...