Have you had a change of heart on Roth Radio?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Northern Girl
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
    I noticed that right away when he sang "this is heavy lifting" because after the radio show firing he went on the talk show rounds & used that phrase a lot. What other ones are standing out to you?
    Yup. He said “This is heavy lifting” a lot!

“You’re doin’ business with me honey, what does that make you?” (She’s The Woman)

He said versions of this a lot like “if you’re friends with me, what does that make you?”

“Your IQ plummets fourteen points” (She’s The Woman)

He said that all the time about seeing a hot woman – “My IQ dropped fourteen points!”

“The song ain’t (dirty), it’s really just the way I sing it” (She’s The Woman).

“I’m a bad little (cow) boy, send me to your room” (HoneybabySweetiedoll)

“Where the debris meets the sea” (Big River)

Heard that a million times!

“Here today, gone later today” (Beats Workin’)

Heard that a million times too!
    Same ole song and dance...

Comment

• Carmine
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Northern Girl
      I've got the whole 3-1/2 months!
      Then you have February 14, 2006...there's an excellent call into Dave about 30 minutes into the show that day...

Comment

• Coyote
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

30 min of DLR in Boston...
        Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
        It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• loucap81
          Head Fluffer
          • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Carmine
          Then you have February 14, 2006...there's an excellent call into Dave about 30 minutes into the show that day...
          Is that the one Shoes did?

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Coyote
            Cool find.

The whole week used to be kicking around but I haven't seen them for years. I would like to listen to them again, they were what the Roth show should have been, a much more sensible format.

Comment

• BITEYOASS
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Jan 2004

Hell, I even talk to Dave over the phone during his radio show. I started out by saying: Hey Diamond Dave WAAAAZUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPPPPP!

Comment

• Sensible Shoes
                Full Member Status

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by loucap81
                Is that the one Shoes did?
                I think Carmine means HE did it. Mine was in the third hour of the show, and once again,, I've lost it. Oh well, he said "God Bless You, Baby" and I'll never forget it.

Oh dear.

Comment

• loucap81
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Apr 2012

Did not know that Carmine also called into the show.

As you may or may not recall, when I was posting like mad on DDLR, I didn't like the show. Six years later I still don't have any appreciation for it. As someone said DLR is a great interviewee but not a good interviewer. But the bigger reason is because it was symbolic to me that DLR was done performing, certainly wasn't going to front Van Halen again and it made me sad. I honestly don't care about him other than what he's doing for VH. If I'm "missing out" by not being interested in his other endeavors so be it, then I'm missing out oh well.

But I'm not one of these people that can just listen to him talk endlessly and that be enough to really warm my heart and get me going. My feelings were "come on Dave, you're a performer not a radio jock." This and the '90s Vegas lounge act were the two low points of his career. Thank God things changed quickly and for the better after this show went off the air.

I'm glad however that a lot of you did like it, especially people like Shoes who was dying to talk to him for so long.

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Dave's radio show didn't air around here, so I only heard the occasional clips here and there that were posted on this site or DDLR or whatever. I guess we'll never know if he could have grown into a decent radio guy, because he didn't really have enough time to get the bugs worked out of the show.

Obviously there's a difference from going to "visual" performances on the live stage to an audio only format like radio. It's a similar circumstance to the Air America radio network, where they only had about three experienced radio hosts in the mix, and the rest were actors, comedians, rapper Chuck D, country singer Steve Earle, etc. Some translated to the new medium, others didn't. And then, you had people in the business office who were just complete douchebags, which Dave also had with the suits at Infinity/CBS radio. In either case, it's a mix of bad circumstances that ultimately led to doom as a result.
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Northern Girl
                      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Loved the show. Laughed my ass off regularly. Also loved hearing all the personal stories about his family, girlfriends, etc.

I thought he was a good interviewer. He seems to have a basic knowledge of just about everything and can carry on a conversation with anyone about anything. I was thoroughly impressed.

Comment

• Northern Girl
                        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Maybe someday when my life slows down a bit, I'll pick out the Army calls (Carmine, Shoes, Nate and Natra) and some of the best moments from the show and put them up somewhere. Life is a bit crazy these days though.

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                          Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Holy shit...talk about necroposting!!

I barely even remember starting this thread....but I must say that it is quite awesome. In fact, it should have been sticked many years ago when I first posted it. 7 years of posting here and I never had a sticky. Something is wrong with the universe.

Nice to see this thread again....
                          Originally posted by perilouspete
                          fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Coyote
                            I wonder if Dave has had a change of heart by now about his views on Iraq which were pretty dumb even back then?

In his book he was unthinkingly pro Israel government but by the time of this radio show he had obviously done a bit of reading and tempered his views which at least shows he has an open mind.

Comment

Working...