What are your opinions on Dave's solo career?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill Lumbergh
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

Originally posted by bueno bob
    Would it make you feel better if I agreed with everything you say from here on out? I don't want you to feel left out in the cold, ya know...

Hey I was quoting myself from months ago...........I had no idea that even way back then I was so articulate and intelligent.

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

Wonder what happened since then

Comment

• bueno bob
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jul 2004

Bill, you're ALWAYS articulate and intelligent...

Holy shit, now I'M the ass-kisser...

Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
          ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

Thank you Lord Vader..........
          Last edited by Bill Lumbergh; 10-01-2004, 03:17 AM.

Comment

• lms2

Okay, I will leave you two alone now.

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

Thanks................where's Dan? LMFAO!

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

For some reason I thought it was Kristy who wrote that post.............LOL And I was having such a good night.

Comment

• spmusicplyr
                  Foot Soldier
                  • May 2004

I've said this before, but i think A Little aint enough is daves last horrah as a young man.

After that, his voice just wasnt the same. His voice is only of a shadow of what it once was.

Listen to the new live recordings, and then listen to a live recording of Stockholm '91. See the difference? Nobody can lie and say there isnt a difference.

Not to mention that the ALAE era was the last time he had a hairline

Love ya dave, but your young days are gone.
                  Got beef with my comments? Blow me!

Comment

• spmusicplyr
                    Foot Soldier
                    • May 2004

I love Diamond Dave, the record.

In the studio he can still sing.
                    In the studio, you can be calm, not worry about fans, not be out of breath, have good breathing exercies and do takes over and over until you get them right.

I think in his live shows, he concentrates more on his showmanship than singing. He did that with VH too, but his voice was so strong that nobody paid attention to that.

Comment

• lms2

I think in New York he has been working on all the above and he is gonna kick some ass for his two shows. I have noted some ups and not so ups... but we all have those. Come January, we will see.

Young or not. Daves still the man.

Comment

• Big Train
                        Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

spmusicplyr,

I wholeheartedly disagree with you about his live voice as someone who has seen him a few times in the last year or so. I think there was a period where he had vocal problems (93-98), which I assume were nodes on his vocal chords. Ask James Brown, you can't scream that hard, that loud for so many years and not have it affect you.

Without the blow by blow, I will say this. First and foremost, beyond anything, I respect Dave as a purist, a dying breed in the business. He makes records that may or may not be considered hits or be a safe play. As a pure artist, he does what he wants, although he knows full well he'll never get the respect say an Elvis Costello would. He has made some great records and some shitty records since VH, but he did them all to the best of his ability and both the good and bad records were spectacular in their respective ways. An old musician saying about improvising : It's better to be 100% wrong (Dave Solo), than 50% right (Van Hagar)....

Comment

• Robonez
                          Groupie
                          • Sep 2004

Crazy From The Heat: Ok.
                          Eat 'Em And Smile: Great!
                          Skyskraper: Great!

The rest: Horrible!

Comment

• Panamark
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

Even DLRBand ???
                            BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                            Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• spmusicplyr
                              Foot Soldier
                              • May 2004

Originally posted by Big Train
                              spmusicplyr,

I wholeheartedly disagree with you about his live voice as someone who has seen him a few times in the last year or so. I think there was a period where he had vocal problems (93-98), which I assume were nodes on his vocal chords. Ask James Brown, you can't scream that hard, that loud for so many years and not have it affect you.

Without the blow by blow, I will say this. First and foremost, beyond anything, I respect Dave as a purist, a dying breed in the business. He makes records that may or may not be considered hits or be a safe play. As a pure artist, he does what he wants, although he knows full well he'll never get the respect say an Elvis Costello would. He has made some great records and some shitty records since VH, but he did them all to the best of his ability and both the good and bad records were spectacular in their respective ways. An old musician saying about improvising : It's better to be 100% wrong (Dave Solo), than 50% right (Van Hagar)....
                              Yes, i saw him two times in 2003.Once in the hosuse of blues in anaheim, ca and the 2nd being at the verison center in sothern california as well.
                              I know you can scream that much and not have it effect you. That's why his voice sounds the way it does today (in addition to smoking).

A 25 year old and 50 year old have different voices. No doubt about it. Dave is still dave, and you gotta give him credit for that

Comment

• Carmine Raguzza
                                Groupie
                                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Robonez
                                Crazy From The Heat: Ok.
                                Eat 'Em And Smile: Great!
                                Skyskraper: Great!

The rest: Horrible!
                                ALAE his voice is great, DLRBand is IMO his best cd front to back, with only 2 complaints- weak production and too much screaming. I'll say this though, he sounded awesome at the Boston Pops on the 4th of July!
                                " You know I go from rags to riches"

Comment

Working...